Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal abuse in Letterkeny

Options
  • 08-01-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

Seeing as this is related to the well known town of Letterkenny in Donegal thought this should get a mention.

How the guards could have ignored it I've no idea.....showing that much violence in general nevermind to a little puppy would need to be sorted out now rather than later!

Even if it just means the guards go round and speak to the kids and parents and warn them. Educate them a bit and scare the crap out of them from doing it again :mad:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/children-laughed-as-they-kicked-pup-to-death-2488673.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

This is a pretty depressing story. I'd have a few questions.

Who owned the pup?
    Where were the parents of these kids?
    Surely there was more than one witness to the torture of the dog?

If kids don't have parents or other adult role models to teach them the difference between acceptable and non acceptable behaviour then things have come to a depressing pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Absolutely shocking. In fairness to the kids, like most problems in society, this is a reflection on their parents methods of raising them. Alot of children now just simply do not know the difference in right or wrong. These were not teenagers trying to "find themselves" they were young children - scary stuff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is a very sad and and disgusting incident but there in an uncomfortable fact that animal welfare is simply not that good in Ireland.

Ireland has shockingly high levels of animal abuse, to domestic pets, farm animals and strays.:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irlpic wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking. In fairness to the kids, like most problems in society, this is a reflection on their parents methods of raising them. Alot of children now just simply do not know the difference in right or wrong. These were not teenagers trying to "find themselves" they were young children - scary stuff.
    Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

irlpic wrote: »

I told my 12 yr old about this and he was shocked and disgusted. No one told him not to jump up and down on a dogs head or not to mistreat or kill animals that sort of behaviour is just not in him.

Those kids are either entirely corrupted by their parents or are bad little brats full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

sollar wrote: »
    I told my 12 yr old about this and he was shocked and disgusted. No one told him not to jump up and down on a dogs head or not to mistreat or kill animals that sort of behaviour is just not in him.

Those kids are either entirely corrupted by their parents or are bad little brats full stop.

Children learn their behaviour from those around them, especially their parents. You've taught your child respect and empathy for other people and animals. Unfotunately some children are not lucky enough to live in homes where respect and empathy are valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its well know who these kids are, the guards know who they are, anyone who lives there or someone like me who drives up there regualry know who they are.
    The problem is the parents, they couldn't care less, they treat the kids like dirt so it'll only natural the kids behave the.way they do.
    I'm not saying the guards were right to do nothing, but they're frequent visitors to those few families and they have no.effect

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

kids or not that's disturbed. Parents should be locked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

If they're capable of doing that to a defenceless pup at that age what are they going to be doing when their older. I shudder to think. This should be nipped in the bud before it escalates to that. :mad:

Wonder did the pup belong to them or could it have been a stolen pup or a pup they found? Anyone missing a puppy in Letterkenny or further afield? :( It doesn't say what sort of pup it was either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Really disgusting behaviour. I'm glad I didnt come across that scene because I'd give those little ****s a clip round the ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

just heard the man on the radio that saw this indecent, the lien bastards of guards now reckon the dog was hit by a car according to an autopsy they got carried out in just 2 days, now how do they know the difference between a kick do a dog, and a car hitting it? they are just trying to justify the laziness of there-selves, when the man went over to the dog, it was in a pool of blood, so it must have been alive when the youths where kicking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

The body of that dog was only removed from the area on friday afternoon, after it was discussed on Highland Radio. The dog was lying at the entrance to a house on a grass verge at 2pm on friday when I passed, I hadnt heard the discussion on highland though at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I knocked down a dog in Cork recently and I was disgusted although It wasnt my fault but to think these kids could do it on purpose to any animal is sick, these kids wont get any luck for doing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Senna wrote: »
    Its well know who these kids are, the guards know who they are, anyone who lives there or someone like me who drives up there regualry know who they are.
    The problem is the parents, they couldn't care less, they treat the kids like dirt so it'll only natural the kids behave the.way they do.
    I'm not saying the guards were right to do nothing, but they're frequent visitors to those few families and they have no.effect

Shouldn't social services or something like that step in and have a word to try and help sort out the parents/kids in some way? I'm sure it aint as simple as that though :(
    dee o gee wrote: »
    If they're capable of doing that to a defenceless pup at that age what are they going to be doing when their older. I shudder to think. This should be nipped in the bud before it escalates to that. :mad:

That's the thing! If some kid can intentionally hurt or kill a defenseless little animal then God knows what they would end up doing when they are older to someone who pisses them off.
    bmw535d wrote: »
    just heard the man on the radio that saw this indecent, the lien bastards of guards now reckon the dog was hit by a car according to an autopsy they got carried out in just 2 days, now how do they know the difference between a kick do a dog, and a car hitting it? they are just trying to justify the laziness of there-selves, when the man went over to the dog, it was in a pool of blood, so it must have been alive when the youths where kicking it.

But there was an eye witness to it was there not? Or are the guards trying to say the kids were kicking a dead puppy and that they didn't kill it? :confused:
    Trish2007 wrote: »
    The body of that dog was only removed from the area on friday afternoon, after it was discussed on Highland Radio. The dog was lying at the entrance to a house on a grass verge at 2pm on friday when I passed, I hadnt heard the discussion on highland though at that point.

The dog was left there then....at the entrance to the house?

Suppose if they kicked it to death they aint gonna bother burying it >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

the lien bastards of guards now reckon the dog was hit by a car according to an autopsy they got carried out in just 2 days,

What do you think they were lying about, that the dog was knocked down or that they could get a vet to do an autopsy within 2 days?
    now how do they know the difference between a kick do a dog, and a car hitting it?

The qualified vet performing the autopsy would know.

The more i hear of this the more i think this witness is a bit of a clown, put 2 & 2 together and came up with 8. Shaun Doherty putting his journalistic "skills" to good use again and just runs with the witness story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

The qualified vet performing the autopsy would know.

As far as I know the only place they actually do autopsies on dogs is the vet hospital in ucd.

I'm pretty sure your average vet is not trained in the kind of expertise that it would take to distinguish between the kind of fractures that would be present in a dog that had been run over and those present in a dog that had been stomped and kicked.

However, i am open to correction if there are any vets to confirm. Also of course maybe they did take it to ucd.

I've only heard bits and pieces of this story but if it is true then it is absolutely terrible and i hope that these children are eventually taught a lesson. I would also hope that if the owner of the puppy is ever located then the report the perceived inadequate response of the gardai to the ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

The more i hear of this the more i think this witness is a bit of a clown, put 2 & 2 together and came up with 8. Shaun Doherty putting his journalistic "skills" to good use again and just runs with the witness story.

I think I agree, my perception is that the witness is an attention seeker and has possibly done something like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

mamakevf wrote: »
    I think I agree, my perception is that the witness is an attention seeker and has possibly done something like this before.

Or maybe he is passionate about animals and is fed up of the abuse they get.

Who knows maybe the pup was killed by car but maybe the kids came along kicking it anyway when it was dead and this is what the man saw.

Advertisement