Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creaky flooring

• 08-01-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

have a question about hardwood flooring. the folks have it uptairs in their house and around the landing when walked on, it creaks loud enough to be heard all over the house. personally i dont think the wood was climatised at all and this coupled with the heating pipes underneath i believe is causing the problem. is there any posible solution that doesnt involve taking up the floor. i was thinkin about trying to pour wax or some sort of lubricant to relieve the stress between the boards.....would this work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

have a question about hardwood flooring. the folks have it uptairs in their house and around the landing when walked on, it creaks loud enough to be heard all over the house. personally i dont think the wood was climatised at all and this coupled with the heating pipes underneath i believe is causing the problem. is there any posible solution that doesnt involve taking up the floor. i was thinkin about trying to pour wax or some sort of lubricant to relieve the stress between the boards.....would this work?

talcum powder works

but it may be the plywood under the hardwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Try sweeping talcum powder into the joints, it might help in the short term. But more likely it's the floor joists flexing under foot and causing something to rub. The only sure solution imo would require taking the flooring up or pulling the ceiling down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

thanks for the replys. is it uncommon for the hardwood boards to be on joists only. i dont think they are on a subfloor but i could be wrong.
    the reason why i think this is the floors went in before the door frames and other things like rads and the banisters.
    ill try the talc but did anyone ever hear of syringing warm wax into the joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

thanks for the replys. is it uncommon for the hardwood boards to be on joists only. i dont think they are on a subfloor but i could be wrong.
    the reason why i think this is the floors went in before the door frames and other things like rads and the banisters.
    ill try the talc but did anyone ever hear of syringing warm wax into the joints.

It would be uncommon for a hardwood floor to be nailed directly to joists .

Advertisement