Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Sky+ installation - how good are the installers?

• 08-01-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting the current Sky+ offer, only have UPC analogue at the moment so it seems like a no-brainer (more services for less money). One concern I have is that the offer is directly through Sky (rather than an independent Sky installer - do these exist?), and that their installers might just throw the dish and cabling up any old way. I'm hoping to use the same dish and cables for a future Saorview/Freesat combo setup once it becomes a bit more established.

Any pointers on how to approach this, or how do the installers operate? We're in a 3-bed semi-D, lots of possible dish locations but only one Sky+ box being installed. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Sky direct installers and installers that Sky Kiosk and sales agents use are sub contractors. Your install will be a standard digital install ( in and out fast job) these guys are on commission and under pressure plus these guys probably wont want to go near an attic or chimney.

A installer or Aerial rigger who works for himself will be under less pressure and will spend more time doing your install, After all if he does a good job he will usually get more work from you or a recomendation from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

scaller wrote: »
    Sky direct installers and installers that Sky Kiosk and sales agents use are sub contractors. Your install will be a standard digital install ( in and out fast job) these guys are on commission and under pressure plus these guys probably wont want to go near an attic or chimney.

A installer or Aerial rigger who works for himself will be under less pressure and will spend more time doing your install, After all if he does a good job he will usually get more work from you or a recomendation from you.

Thanks, that's what I was worried about. I'd much prefer a discreet dish location and cables through the attic, proper wall points etc. than cables run externally and brought through into the living room. I've seen some really poor-looking installations locally (though admittedly not to Sky dishes) that I'd want to avoid.

Does anyone have a list of independent Sky installers in Dublin, and more importantly who would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Have a look at this deal before you sign up, might convince you to take a chance with the Sky appointed installer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056137884

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Have a look at this deal before you sign up, might convince you to take a chance with the Sky appointed installer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056137884

That's exactly the offer I was looking at, but it only seems to be available from Sky directly (not from 3rd-party installers). I'd actually be willing to pay for installation (it's free as part of the offer) if it guaranteed a good job.

Advertisement