Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munich

• 08-01-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna be in Munich next Saturday, staying near the train station, just wondering if anyone knows of anything to check out, I see the Spaten Brewery is near by but cant find out if they do any tours.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Augustiner brau is in that location, and the Hofbrauhaus is worth ducking into. Jealous - was in Munich last year for a bit, and loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Cool, I'll check them out, will only be in Munich Saturday, we head of snowboarding Sunday morning but I want to make the most of the day there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Have a look at this thread. With just a day I'd skip the Hofbräuhaus altogether and go to Schneider and Ayinger instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'd recommend the Augustiner.Excellent beer.I think it's on kaufinger Str. Plenty of good beer halls. Hofbrauhaus is just another.
    Beautiful city.

The Augustiner Keller on Arnulfstrasse was our favourite place to visit while there. Fantastic beer and food and a really nice place to drink. It's a two minute walk from the Hackerbrucke S Bahn station. The Lowenbrau keller is also a must, it's like a palace in there,there is a U Bahn station across the road from there too so it's incredibly easy to get to. The Hofbrauhaus didn't impress, the beer was below average and the service/atmosphere was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭poitinstill

if you have one day take a good read off this ( this is a beer travellers gospel) http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/munipubs.htm
    Ive followed this guide for many cities. its accurate, honest and helpful.

hofbrauhaus is a must, touristy but defo worth a look for sure

Nice one, lot's of stuff to look through, cheers lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if youre staying near the main station then you need to get to the beerhall at the Augustiner Brewery.

The Augustiner Keller is nice but the brewery has a rawness that is good.
    Pints at 2.55, often from the wooden barrel is also a plus for the brewery!!!
    (they had wooden barel there last friday night, all night. YUM!)

The weisse braühaus is also a great bet downtown, abeit their grub is a little too authentic. Sour lung and baked calf head alert!!

For good grub theres an alley across the road from the WeisseBrauhaus (To the right of McDonalds) and theres a place called the "Markt Wirt" down the alley there.
    They also serve augustiner, which also gives them brownie points.

If a pub in Munich could choose which beer to serve then 99% of the time it'd be Augustiner.
    The problem is that the other breweries gave better renovation loan deals or have the landlords in their pockets (retention money) so its actually not as prevalent in the city as it really should be for the taste of the normal Münchner.

re tours: there arent any in the city breweries. Ayinger, Erdinger and others in the suburbs do do tours.
    There is though a bier and oktoberfest museum downtown, whatever thats like?

There's also a brewpub not far from the city centre, but it's not worth bothering with, IMO.

BeerNut wrote: »
    There's also a brewpub not far from the city centre, but it's not worth bothering with, IMO.
    In the airport theres also a brewpub called airbraü which IS worth stopping off at.

The beer quality isnt as consistent as it could be, but for the novelty of drinking a pint for 2.30 a go at a major international airport, its worth popping in!
    Food is good there, so on your way home it is a good idea to check in early and then relax with dinner washed down by a few final beers before flying back.
    If flying in the morning, the Weisswurst (white sausage) is VERY good there - especially if enjoyed the traditional way washed down by weissbier!

Talking about weisswurst breakfast, the best place to catch this has to be the weisse brauhaus downtown.
    On a sunday morning especially it's packed, as the weissbeer you drink is as important as the sausage itsself, and Schneider weisbeer is considered by many to be amongst the best. You only have to be aware that its only served before midday (a wierd but fairly strickly adhered to tradition)

• Advertisement

Talking about weisswurst breakfast, the best place to catch this has to be the weisse brauhaus downtown.
    On a sunday morning especially it's packed, as the weissbeer you drink is as important as the sausage itsself, and Schneider weisbeer is considered by many to be amongst the best. You only have to be aware that its only served before midday (a wierd but fairly strickly adhered to tradition)

Ah, beer with breakfast, don't you just love being on holiday and not having to drive anywhere. :D

dylbert wrote: »
    Ah, beer with breakfast, don't you just love being on holiday and not having to drive anywhere. :D
    Feck holidays.
    Its not unnormal to have the weissbeer at work too with your sausages.

Things though are changing in the workplace.
    I hear that the BMW production line only has the odd beer vending machine nowadays.

And another engineering company that I do work for has only alcohol free beer in the shop, and alcohol is banned off site (more to do with NATO regulations I think than anything else)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Things though are changing in the workplace.
    I hear that the BMW production line only has the odd beer vending machine nowadays.

And another engineering company that I do work for has only alcohol free beer in the shop, and alcohol is banned off site (more to do with NATO regulations I think than anything else)

Reminds me of the strike at the Carlsberg factory whenever they were told they can only have free beer at lunch and not all day long.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36278625/ns/business-consumer_news/

Though in the case of free Carlsberg it's probably a good thing they're having it taken off them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Do try Augustiner Helles, best beer in the world IMO.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Though in the case of free Carlsberg it's probably a good thing they're having it taken off them...
    Carlsberg in Denmark actually make some really good beers, mostly under the "Kongens Bryghus" brand. They're also the importer for Brooklyn Lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭weiland79

It even has it's own facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Augustiner-Brau/34781637965

Awesome beer.
    If the weather is fine get your bottom down to the Viktuallion Markt (spelling)?.
    It's at the bottom of Marianplatz on the right (ask )
    It's a beer garden right in the middle of the city and you could easily spend the day sampling beers eating steckerfisch (fish on a stick) and enjoying the atmosphere.

Have fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement