Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i change my course in UL now to a different one in UL

Options
  • 08-01-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    i want to change my course, as i hate it. i was wondering could you transfer at winter. please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The Student Status Committee (SSC) deals with student transfer applications and has three meetings a year.

The first meeting was held on 15th September.

The second will be held on 2nd February.

The third meeting is held on 29th June.

The deadline for submissions is usually a few working days before the meeting.

There are many factors to consider when attempting a transfer and I suggest you post your question here in the Education Officer's thread or even set up a meeting with her.

You should move quickly as the deadline for the second SSC meeting will come around fast. Its also harder to get a transfer midway through the year than it is in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 miggy123

Hi,
    I'm currently studying architecture in UL and want to change course... I just wondering about fees. How much is it for a change of course? and does anyone know the procedure or do I just go get the application form and fill it out?
    Cheers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

You should probably start your own thread instead of digging up one that's two years old.

Notwithstanding that, whether you have to pay fees or not depends on what course you wish to transfer to. If the course is related closely enough to the one you're doing now, you may be able to transfer at the same year level e.g. continue from 1st year Mech Eng to 2nd year Aero Eng.

I've no idea how much overlap Architecture has with any other course though - I'd suggest you seek out the course director of the course you want to transfer to and have a chat with them about it.

If you get a transfer on this basis, you won't have to pay any additional fees as you are not repeating a year level.

If there's not enough overlap, you'll have to terminate your current enrollment and start again in September in 1st year with the new course. You should be able to apply directly to the university, but you're subject to the same rules as new entry applicants regarding eligibility (CAO points basically) unless you'll qualify as a mature student.

In this scenario, you have to pay fees for each year level repeated. So if you've completed one year in the current course, you'll have to pay tuition fees for that year, and then you'll continue on from second year with free tuition fees as usual.

There's a cutoff point during the year past which you're deemed to have completed the year regardless of whether or not you've sat the end of semester exams and this may have already passed by now. You should contact SAA as soon as possible about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I decided at the end of the year so the course transfer was essentially just starting my new course next year as a first year, as there were no similarities between the two courses.
    Procedure I had to go through anyway was to fill in a transfer request form,
    They'd then make the decision at a meeting whether or not you meet requirements, requirements specified beforehand on form I think.
    You'll get a letter sent out letting you know if you made it or not in July/August,
    Depending how late you decide to drop out will depend on how much fees you'll have to pay next year though. For example I dropped out at end of the year so I had to pay 100% fees.

Advertisement