Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop to external monitor - Low res problem

Options
  • 08-01-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

so i treated myself to a nice hd monitor, & i've it connected to the laptop via it's hdmi output,

the max resolution on laptop is 1280 x 768, and its all im getting on the external monitor according to its output, (1280x800) you can really tell tho I need to get it higher to improve the resolution, its readable, but its blurry also, i should be getting high def quality-ish :D

the monitor is capable of 1920 x 1080 @75 hz

Im running linux mint 10 x64 with ATI Radeon HD 5000 series graphics, & its no better on windoze 7

Is there anything i can do to up the resolution, or am I limited to what my laptop can output ?

there are no options within the monitor itself to change

any help appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you tried changing the laptop to external only(AKA kill the onboard panel)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

hi, ya i sussed that out, and now have the desired resolution, but have a black border about half inch thick around the monitor, seems to be a common problem, with win 7 x64, i've tried to scale it with the ati ccc, but it only lets me change the scale settings if i'm in a lower resolution, so im feckin stuck again,

never thought an ex monitor would be so much hassle, so much for plug n' play, even says win 7 compatible on the box, I have the very latest drivers etc, so i'm stumped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

iPwnage wrote: »
    hi, ya i sussed that out, and now have the desired resolution, but have a black border about half inch thick around the monitor, seems to be a common problem, with win 7 x64, i've tried to scale it with the ati ccc, but it only lets me change the scale settings if i'm in a lower resolution, so im feckin stuck again,

never thought an ex monitor would be so much hassle, so much for plug n' play, even says win 7 compatible on the box, I have the very latest drivers etc, so i'm stumped
    if you extend the display to the TV display it should allow you to have different resolutions without a black border

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

got it sorted now on windows at least, got an older driver from the dell website, and i was able adjust the overscan to 0%, so i'm at 1920 x 1080 @ 0% overscan, perfect !

rolled back to the ati 10.10 driver in linux and sorted it the same way !

WIN :D

Advertisement