Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flights from ireland to melbourne

Options
  • 08-01-2011 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I am looking for the cheapest flight from ireland to melbourne, ill be going for 4-5 weeks, flying out on the 23rd of april?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Singapore airlines are having a sale at the moment and you can get a return flight from london for just under £800. The sale is onto until almost the end of feb and is valid for flights until the 9th de. (with some exclusion dates) I'm hoping to take advantage of the sale and book flights home to oz for christmas :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Totally recommend this, there are some real bargains to be had with Etihad from Heathrow at the moment on Skyscanner.

Skyscanner just finds you the cheap flights and directs you to the likes of ebookers etc. where you can then book them. A brilliant website if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

Try Air Asia.....

Flight from London Stansted to Melbourne on the 24th April is £478 sterling single.

Think you'll probably need about £30 for luggage and if you dont get a meal on the flights you can keep the price down....Prob not a bad price if you can get a cheap flight to Stansted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Maybe not the cheapest but Etihad is €777 one way and they are the handiest,only one stop in Abu Dhabi and then on to Melbourne,i done it last year,its a long flight but they are a great airline i use them all the time plus you get great offers with there miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I went with Malaysia airlines to Melbourne. Thought they were very good. I'd have no hassle recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i've sometimes found www.kayak.com pulled out cheaper flights than skyscanner. Which is odd since they use the same database.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

mel.b wrote: »
    Singapore airlines are having a sale at the moment and you can get a return flight from london for just under £800. The sale is onto until almost the end of feb and is valid for flights until the 9th de. (with some exclusion dates) I'm hoping to take advantage of the sale and book flights home to oz for christmas :)

Could you provide a link for that? I was on their website and couldn't see any mention of a sale and all the prices quoted for Melbourne-London were much higher than £800.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Could you provide a link for that? I was on their website and couldn't see any mention of a sale and all the prices quoted for Melbourne-London were much higher than £800.

I booked my flights in September to melbourne, and just by messing around with the days and flights etc there was around 200 euro+ to be saved.

Also you could try ring singapore airlines, they have an office in dawson street. Or try ring trailfinders as if they have deals on they would know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

I have being looking at flights from Dublin to OZ via Heathrow on skyscanner and it only leaves 1 hour 40mins from when the Aer Lingus flight arrives in Heathrow and the flight for KL or singapore takes off. Is 1 hour 40 mins not touch and go for Heathrow especially when you have to change terminal. If you book the flight on ebookers will you be covered if the aer lingus flight is late into Heathrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I have being looking at flights from Dublin to OZ via Heathrow on skyscanner and it only leaves 1 hour 40mins from when the Aer Lingus flight arrives in Heathrow and the flight for KL or singapore takes off. Is 1 hour 40 mins not touch and go for Heathrow especially when you have to change terminal. If you book the flight on ebookers will you be covered if the aer lingus flight is late into Heathrow?

It happened to me on Christmas 2009 when the weather was bad,i was going to Thailand with Malaysian Airlines from Heathrow,but the flight from Dublin with Aer Lingus was delayed so i missed the connecting flight from Heathrow to Malaysia,i booked it on ebookers but it wasn't there fault it was Aer Lingus's so the tried to get me another flight but they couldn't well they could but it was like a day later.

So basically after 7/8 hours in Heathrow i went to the Malaysian Airlines desk and i knew they had another flight that night so i wanted to see if i could get on that,and i could but i had to wait for everybody to board and if nobody showed up i could get there seat,so after 14 hours waiting i was finally sitting on the plane,and then when i got to KL i had to sort out a hotel for the night and the airline got me another flight to BKK on Christmas morning.

I personally wouldn't recommend that flight,just in case it is late,14 hours in Heathrow is no fun trust me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Have you been to Heathrow before? if you know the airport well then you would probably get away with it, however even the slightest delay on the Irish leg from Dublin would leave you up the crapper.

When I flew to Singapore (and onwards to Australia) we had a 4 hour 50 min layover in Heathrow before our flight with Qantas and it was a RTW ticket all booked in one. It was my first time in Heathrow in ten years and we definitely needed the guts of three hours as newbies, with the security and massive duty free stores etc and distances between terminals (be ready for lots of walking). Heathrow is massive and very sprawled so I really would not chance the 1hr 40mins layover if I was in your situation.

I booked a flight with ebookers before and they are really really rigid in not allowing for changes, I was booked from Las Vegas to Shannon via JFK and I wanted to just fly from Las Vegas to JFK and abandon my shannon leg home as I decided to visit relations in NYC and Delta Airlines would not allow me to do it as my bags would be checked onwards to Ireland and I had to book a last minute flight instead at a cost of $500.

ebookers are grand so long as you don't go making changes to the itinerary because then they screw you or abandon you completely. As far as the airline and ebookers is concerned you are flying from Heathrow to Australia and if the Irish flight bringing you in is late then as far as they are concerned you are late for your flight and they may rebook you on the next flight out or else treat you as a forfeited flight and then they will really screw you and maybe force you to buy another ticket. Obviously this is down to the individual airline and what good will they show.

However if you book the flight as a connecting flight on a single ticket eg. Dublin > Heathrow > Australia then you would be covered if there was a delay.

Two separate tickets is then down to the goodwill of the individual airline, I myself am flying to Bangkok next month with Etihad from Heathrow and booked that on ebookers (cheap deal from Skyscanner.net) I am booked from Cork to Heathrow with Aer Lingus separately but I have given myself a whopping 7.5hours of a layover. But I will go visit my relations and get in a bit of last minute holiday shopping during the afternoon and return to the airport for my evening flight to Abu Dhabi with Etihad and onwards from there to Bangkok.

Advertisement