Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a mid/high end laptop?

Options
  • 08-01-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to replace my old Dell Latitude D830 and have set myself a budget of €1,000. Its primary purpose will be software development (VS2010, SQL Server, VM Ware). I'll need to have everything open at the same time along with background music and web browsing. So I'm looking at high end processor, plenty of RAM, decent screen, decent keyboard and speakers suitable for music. I'd like something with a bit of class and style too. I think I can forget about looking for a decent battery life too, but something ok-ish would be good.

I know I probably can't have it all at that price and in a laptop, so I'm open to compromise. The thing is I'm having trouble finding anywhere that sells high end laptops. There's plenty of laptops reviewed on the web, but there's no chance finding a place that sells them. I'm looking in Dublin or on the web. I'll order from the UK if I have to but the VAT increase is making the UK look a little expensive these days.

I went to buy this from PC world today, but as usual when I try to buy something big in this country it is never in stock. But this is the sort of thing I'd be happy with:

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SONY-Vaio-VPCF13M0EB/301110/301

I'd appreciate some advice as to where to look or any suitable alternatives. There is always Dell of course. The new XPS laptops look like they have the spec but I just have a feeling there's better out there.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Have you tried Komplett? They have a selection of brands, aren't too dear and have a collection depo in Blanchardstown (they also deliver).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

alienware:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

20goto10 wrote: »
    I went to buy this from PC world today, but as usual when I try to buy something big in this country it is never in stock. But this is the sort of thing I'd be happy with:

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SONY-Vaio-VPCF13M0EB/301110/301

I'd appreciate some advice as to where to look or any suitable alternatives. There is always Dell of course. The new XPS laptops look like they have the spec but I just have a feeling there's better out there.

Looking at komplett, they have an Asus with the same specs (CPU, GPU, Ram, Hard Drive) as the sony vaio, but for nearly €200 less.

Also you may be interested in this Asus, from KSN-online (about €1000 delivered, I think). Its a new product, so not much detail on the page, but it has 8gb of ram and a i7-2630QM processor, one of those new Sandy Bridge processors - more efficient, with a built in graphics card. You would need to email them though, to see if it has whatever else you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Looking at komplett, they have an Asus with the same specs (CPU, GPU, Ram, Hard Drive) as the sony vaio, but for nearly €200 less.

Also you may be interested in this Asus, from KSN-online (about €1000 delivered, I think). Its a new product, so not much detail on the page, but it has 8gb of ram and a i7-2630QM processor, one of those new Sandy Bridge processors - more efficient, with a built in graphics card. You would need to email them though, to see if it has whatever else you are looking for.
    This looks like a good find! It's a little vague though. The specs don't match the reviews I've found on it and I can't find that particular model number anywhere. I've emailed them to get the full spec. If the screen resolution and speakers turn out to be ok then we could be onto a winner. Pity they don't sell the 17" model.

Advertisement