Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"safety Vans"

Options
  • 08-01-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

there seems to be one permanently around Carlow at present, I've spotted it a few times between Calow and the powerstown roundabout, once in the Dolmen 60kph Zone also.
    completly shooting fish in a barrell on a road that used to be 100kph out there.

tonight they were at Fitzpatricks garage also where it's 60kph also.

just posting to warn people as these locations are purely revenue raisers.

If you spot them around post here also, useful to know these things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I saw one hidden near the sugar factory on the athy road

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

:mad::mad: tossers, Accident pron area's my Ar*e :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

spotted on the long straight(kilkenny direction)after the dolmen 60kph zone. and once again at wells, after the royal oak turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

godwin wrote: »
    spotted on the long straight(kilkenny direction)after the dolmen 60kph zone. and once again at wells, after the royal oak turn off.

when you say kilkenny direction dont forget they can get you going both directions

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

So are these the new safety vans with a warning sign up for the general area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So are these the new safety vans with a warning sign up for the general area?

No signs. The "safety zones" are published on http://www.garda.ie/GoSafe.htm so you're supposed to expect them anywhere in the red lines anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

slimjimmc wrote: »
    No signs. The "safety zones" are published on http://www.garda.ie/GoSafe.htm so you're supposed to expect them anywhere in the red lines anytime.

That's quite interesting. I thought it would be like the UK where they have signs up showing the possibility of speed checks ahead. The visual reminder really makes you check your speed. I reckonnwith the current setup, people won't take as much heed. Boo to the NRA. If they were keen on safety they'd so it like the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

The "sister in law", not quite yet, heh, got caught out near the Dump last week heading towards the KK direction also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i spotted one opposite rathnapish on friday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It's currently out the Dublin Road near the M9.

• Advertisement

was out at the Dolmen again last night , in the fog where you could hardly see in front of you. about half ten.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Both ways?Feic... One on the road from Carlow to Tullow today (out through Chapelstown)at Castlemore- just where the road widens,across from the motte and bailey.

DRAT. Normally good on that road, just was in a hurry after work.:(

Both ways?Feic... One on the road from Carlow to Tullow today (out through Chapelstown)at Castlemore- just where the road widens,across from the motte and bailey.

DRAT. Normally good on that road, just was in a hurry after work.:(

yeh they say both ways , supposed to be 2 cameras in them.

were you going much over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Seen one of these in the 60km/h section outside the Dolmen hotel at.. Wait for it... 1:45am.

Shooting fish in a barrel. It's just revenue raising, it always has and always will be.
    Has there even been a death on that section of the road?

Absolute joke. That said, glad i'm driving this slow piece of crap car now ha.

SV wrote: »
    Seen one of these in the 60km/h section outside the Dolmen hotel at.. Wait for it... 1:45am.

Shooting fish in a barrel. It's just revenue raising, it always has and always will be.

yeh seen them there late and the fog also.

I asked someone that about the deaths the other day, and they could tell me about 5 deaths they can recall in the last 10 years between Carlow and the powerstown roundabout. they just sit there at the dolmen as you rightly say to raise revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Raise revenue and to make drivers follow the speed limits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

patrickc wrote: »
    I asked someone that about the deaths the other day, and they could tell me about 5 deaths they can recall in the last 10 years between Carlow and the powerstown roundabout. they just sit there at the dolmen as you rightly say to raise revenue

Isn't that 5 deaths to many?

Considering the operators are paid by the hour, and not by the number of people caught, it's difficult to prove that they're revenue generating.

It isn't difficult really.
    How many deaths have occurred on the 60km/h section?
    How many of these were due to excess speed?

If the answer to either of them is NO (and I suspect it's both ) then they are generating revenue and SHOULD NOT be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I actually know of someone who was 'killed' on that stretch.

(I say 'killed' because he was dead, but brought back in the ambulance twenty minutes later).

He was a passenger in a pick up truck that was ran into from behind by a speeding artic just at the Dolmen.

Having said that though, I still disagree with the limit there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

yeh they say both ways , supposed to be 2 cameras in them.

were you going much over?
    Ten kph, I think...

• Advertisement

ottostreet wrote: »
    I actually know of someone who was 'killed' on that stretch.

(I say 'killed' because he was dead, but brought back in the ambulance twenty minutes later).

He was a passenger in a pick up truck that was ran into from behind by a speeding artic just at the Dolmen.

Having said that though, I still disagree with the limit there.

Ah yeah I know who you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Raise revenue and to make drivers follow the speed limits!

Fair play if they are there to keep drivers to the limits but at least be it in a limit which makes sense. I know that "the keepers of our roads" are fighting hard to get the limits in that area revised by NRA as its common belief that the current limits are a joke.
    testicle wrote: »
    Isn't that 5 deaths to many?

Considering the operators are paid by the hour, and not by the number of people caught, it's difficult to prove that they're revenue generating.

5 deaths by SPEED? I can recall 2 of them and both were drink related.

I suspect he means Revenue generating for the Gov not for the actual operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Safety vans/revenue collectors I was driving in from Athy yester evening about 17:00 up past sugar factory they were checking speeds its 60km along that stretch i was doing 65km:o. Does anyone think i will get a ticket ?? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Safety vans/revenue collectors I was driving in from Athy yester evening about 17:00 up past sugar factory they were checking speeds its 60km along that stretch i was doing 65km:o. Does anyone think i will get a ticket ?? :confused:

Probably not, there's usually about 10% give (but not always), I did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago near Athy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Well I got my speeding ticket in the post today.
    Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

A child was killed many years ago crossing the road at Southern Gardens and there have been other fatal accidents over the years on the straight section on the Kilkenny side of the hotel. I don't know of any fatal accidents directly opposite the hotel but there was a serious accident near there in 2009.

Well I got my speeding ticket in the post today.
    Excellent.

that was well quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the safety van was out between Paulstown and Royal Oak Cross yesterday afternoon but the cunning Bus eireann Drivers were warning each other so as not to get caught out:)

that was well quick.

Wasn't it?
    Well at least it removes any doubts I had in my head..that said I was positive I HADN'T been caught.

Ragin :o

• Advertisement

Wasn't it?
    Well at least it removes any doubts I had in my head..that said I was positive I HADN'T been caught.

Ragin :o

were you much over? just wondering what their flexibility on speed is like.

Advertisement