Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"safety Vans"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the safety van was out between Paulstown and Royal Oak Cross yesterday afternoon but the cunning Bus eireann Drivers were warning each other so as not to get caught out:)

fair play to them.. although its a 100kph along there and you'd imagine the buses would be limited to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

patrickc wrote: »
    were you much over? just wondering what their flexibility on speed is like.

7km/h over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fair play to them.. although its a 100kph along there and you'd imagine the buses would be limited to that.
    limited mechanically to 100km/h but the general speed limit for coaches is 80km/h except for motorways, dual carriagways and the better N roads so 100km/h would see them over the limit on that stretch.

SV wrote: »
    7km/h over.

blimmin harsh that.
    limited mechanically to 100km/h but the general speed limit for coaches is 80km/h except for motorways, dual carriagways and the better N roads so 100km/h would see them over the limit on that stretch.

ah right, i thought the limit was 100kph full stop, didnt realise a seperate one for dc's and motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Do you get a fine and points or whats the story with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

€80 & 2 Points is the normal value :cool:
    Hope i dont get 1 for doing 65km in a 60km :o

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

out the castledermot road again tonight at quarter to 11 in a red colored van with the speed camera stickers on it.........sneaky B******'s

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dolandy

Had one sneak up on me today. :o :eek: Nice red one but could only see the camera icon on its side as I passed it.

Would I be incorrect to assume that they only monitor traffic to the rear of the vans? I know I was a touch over coming towards the front of the van but was under as I was travelling away. It was parked on my side of the road facing me.

cheers,

ian

dolandy wrote: »
    Had one sneak up on me today. :o :eek: Nice red one but could only see the camera icon on its side as I passed it.

Would I be incorrect to assume that they only monitor traffic to the rear of the vans? I know I was a touch over coming towards the front of the van but was under as I was travelling away. It was parked on my side of the road facing me.

cheers,

ian

Well I got caught whilst it was on the opposite side of the road and facing me.
    Direction does not seem to matter.

ahh balls! :(

• Advertisement

dolandy wrote: »

cheers,

ian

the cameras for both directions though are facing out the back window though, as thats the direction of the operator. theres no cameras at the front of the van

the cameras for both directions though are facing out the back window though, as thats the direction of the operator. theres no cameras at the front of the van

Thats what I thought. And even the ones with the roof mounted camera appear to be aligned towards the back of the van also. I know they have so much movement but it doesnt look like its something that can spin 180 deg.

Interesting topic I have to admit. Does the person approaching the safety van from the front have an advantage?

may all the safety vans you meet in life be facing you......

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

sharky86 wrote: »
    out the castledermot road again tonight at quarter to 11 in a red colored van with the speed camera stickers on it.........sneaky B******'s

AH feck, I thought they were white vans, I think the postman will be bringing me a letter from them soon. Sneeky feckers, they widen that Castledermot Road and reduce the speed to 80km. Def was going a wee bit faster than 80 past that red van.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

so am I in the clear??Got a parking ticket in the post, two disabled bays were full-and no blue cards by the cars in them, so I parked on a side road -left my badge up-and still fined. Thought about giving local garda an earful, but no much point, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

so am I in the clear??Got a parking ticket in the post, two disabled bays were full-and no blue cards by the cars in them, so I parked on a side road -left my badge up-and still fined. Thought about giving local garda an earful, but no much point, I suppose.

Just because someone else broke the law, doesn't give you carte blanche to do the same!

7km/h over.
    some may call this harsh but there should be Zero tolerance for speeding and mobile phone use whilst driving and drink driving!
    your disabled parking permit only allows you to park in specified parking spaces, you should have rang the guards at the time if the cars parked in the disabled spots were parked illegally.

Also a disabled parking permit does not give you free parking although most local authorities and Irish Rail seem to allow free parking for any cars with the permit. most stations now have no free disabled parking spaces due to fraudulant use of permits by able bodied persons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

some may call this harsh but there should be Zero tolerance for speeding and mobile phone use whilst driving and drink driving!

your disabled parking permit only allows you to park in specified parking spaces, you should have rang the guards at the time if the cars parked in the disabled spots were parked illegally.

Also a disabled parking permit does not give you free parking although most local authorities and Irish Rail seem to allow free parking for any cars with the permit. most stations now have no free disabled parking spaces due to fraudulant use of permits by able bodied persons.

Untrue re free parking: "In such spaces allocated by a Local Authorities and Public Bodies extend free parking and it is without a time limit. Where a disabled space is unavailable, a Local Authorities and Public Bodies extend parking of the vehicle transporting the holder in general parking, at parking meters and in disc parking areas without charge and without a time limit."

If I didn't need to go to where I was going,then I wouldn't have gone-and not have had to park there.I accept that I parked somewhere that wasn't ideal but until blue spaces are policed properly , I don't have a choice. (I was about 6 inches onto the yellow lines by the way, not causing a danger or obstruction.)
    What are people with disabilities supposed to do?Go home and ring the gardaí and then wait for the people in the spaces to leave and THEN go up again, hoping no-one else parks there at the same time?

Anyway, back on the vans, one outside Paulstown today, just on the Carlow /Kilkenny border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Seen the Gatso van on the N9 at Prumpelstown area was about 18:00 i used to always do 100km along that straight stretch but was stuck behind a lorry doing 75km thank God, dont see many speeding as much anymore :)

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Seen the Gatso van on the N9 at Prumpelstown area was about 18:00 i used to always do 100km along that straight stretch but was stuck behind a lorry doing 75km thank God, dont see many speeding as much anymore :)

yoo true, i drove to cork today and back, and didnt speed, you never know where they are on the back roads at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

saw them out there that foggy night around the 20th jan, havent got any tickets yet but ive passed them two or three times there since. I drive that road twice a day and they are frequently there. Ive also noticed less people flashing oncoming cars, this may be due to people thinking that flashing is becoming less acceptable behaviour( double entendres welcome) or that peope just dont recognise the vans. Id think the latter.

re people slowing down in general, tailgated today to a serious degree on the way to stradbally at 7.00am, terrible morons on the road at that hour.

got my first two points this week as well. on the phone :(

• Advertisement

questioner wrote: »
    saw them out there that foggy night around the 20th jan, havent got any tickets yet but ive passed them two or three times there since. I drive that road twice a day and they are frequently there. Ive also noticed less people flashing oncoming cars, this may be due to people thinking that flashing is becoming less acceptable behaviour( double entendres welcome) or that peope just dont recognise the vans. Id think the latter.

re people slowing down in general, tailgated today to a serious degree on the way to stradbally at 7.00am, terrible morons on the road at that hour.

got my first two points this week as well. on the phone :(

same as got my first 2 last week for the same offence. bought a blue tooth kit since.

expensive mistake

There's a lot of other things I'd call it too ;)
    the area and the time I was caught 'speeding' was ridiculous. Not to mention the amount I was caught speeding by. There is nothing fair or just about it.

It is a revenue raiser, nothing more, plenty less.

oh and really, you compare speeding and mobile phone usage with drink driving? Are you for real? I'm starting to think you're a full time troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

SIX PACK wrote: »

fecker got me even with a car parked right up behind it.... €80 fine + 2points
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

SV,

While I couldn't find any direct comparisons between drink-driving and mobile usage whilst driving, there is a substantial body of evidence to support the hypothesis that you shouldn't use your phone while driving and that it seriously impairs driving performance.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/mobile_phone_report.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

some may call this harsh but there should be Zero tolerance for speeding.

Zero tolerance for speeding is a completely ridiculous concept because there will always be a margin of error both on the car's speedo and on the detection equipment. Granted, that margin of error will generally be very small, but you can't issue a blanket statement like that because someone may be doing 99kmh by their car's reckoning, but be clocked at 101kmh by the Gatso (assuming they're in a 100kmh zone, obviously).

It's a ridiculous situation, made more so by the fact that, under Irish legislation, the speed detection equipment used by the Gardai doesn't have to be calibrated, it's assumed to be in "perfect working order".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous situation, made more so by the fact that, under Irish legislation, the speed detection equipment used by the Gardai doesn't have to be calibrated, it's assumed to be in "perfect working order".

Are you sure of this. I'd bet me bottom dollar that this is not the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Zero tolerance for speeding is a completely ridiculous concept because there will always be a margin of error both on the car's speedo and on the detection equipment. Granted, that margin of error will generally be very small, but you can't issue a blanket statement like that because someone may be doing 99kmh by their car's reckoning, but be clocked at 101kmh by the Gatso (assuming they're in a 100kmh zone, obviously).

Car speedos are deliberately over-calibrated, i.e. if you're doing an indicated 100km/h, you're probably actually doing around 90 - 94 km/h

testicle wrote: »
    Car speedos are deliberately over-calibrated, i.e. if you're doing an indicated 100km/h, you're probably actually doing around 90 - 94 km/h
    Another myth from the boy racer brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Another myth from the boy racer brigade

It's not a myth, it's EU law and international law too.
    Speedometers must over read by 4km/h. In addition,they can also over read by up to 10% when measured at set speeds (I think these are 40km/h, 60km/h, 80km/h and 120km/h).

So at an indicated speed of 100km/h you're doing at most 96km/h. If your speedo is 10% out you could be doing much less, 86km/h (100km/h-10%-4km/h).

The danger is that unless you've had your speedo tested you don't know what this percentage over-read is at different speeds, it could 5% or 10% or dead on 0%, but it will always over-read by at least 4km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kwalshe wrote: »
    Are you sure of this. I'd bet me bottom dollar that this is not the case

The law clearly states that there is no obligation on the authorities to produce evidence that the equipment is calibrated and that it is presumed to be accurate.

That's not quite the same as explicitly saying it doesn't have to be calibrated just that they don't have to prove it was.

Advertisement