Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"safety Vans"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Another myth from the boy racer brigade

Don't have a Sat Nav then? :rolleyes:

It's not a myth, and I'm far from a boy racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi guys
    Let's keep it on topic ie safety vans in Carlow region.
    Any discussion on merits of them or other motoring related topics should be discussed in the motors forum

Regards
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

van out again last night, up a bit from where it usually is. btw, the speed limit from carlow to the motorway is 80km the whole way! am i the last person to know that?

questioner wrote: »
    van out again last night, up a bit from where it usually is. btw, the speed limit from carlow to the motorway is 80km the whole way! am i the last person to know that?

Probably, it's not the N9 anymore, so doesn't automatically get a 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

there is currently a TC mondeo parked across from MSD, beside D'arcy interiors. 12.00 he's hidden lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

questioner wrote: »

Possibly, if you ignore road signs.
    The 80km/h speed limit is well sign posted at both ends and repeated throughout the route.
    kwalshe wrote: »
    there is currently a TC mondeo parked across from MSD, beside D'arcy interiors. 12.00 he's hidden lovely
    Seen him there on a few other occasions last year. Once you see him it's waaaay too late if you're being naughty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

It should be 100KM once you get past Toughers Restaurant up as far as M9 Roundabout,
    If you go past Talbot hotel on the ring Rd its 100KM (doesn't make sense) NRA need to address this . . .
    Its madness we are being crusified left right & centre with all the different Taxes & now their out more than ever to fine us €80 a pop for doing a few km over the limit their should be a discretion of 8km

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

best one yet !!
    driving the wrong way up the motorway on the M20 to setup under the patrickwell fly over tonight at 20:15, this cant be safe !!! Why> so his reflectors on the back of the van wont be been seen> more safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

iceax wrote: »
    best one yet !!
    driving the wrong way up the motorway on the M20 to setup under the patrickwell fly over tonight at 20:15, this cant be safe !!! Why> so his reflectors on the back of the van wont be been seen> more safety.

Bas*ar*s
    Who are the people driving those vans i.e . are they retired cops does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

SIX PACK wrote: »
    It should be 100KM once you get past Toughers Restaurant up as far as M9 Roundabout,
    If you go past Talbot hotel on the ring Rd its 100KM (doesn't make sense) NRA need to address this . . .
    Agreed. It was 100km/h before Kildare CC widened it. The section of old N9 between Castledermot-Kilcullen is still largely 100km/h even though it too has been downgraded to an R-road.
    SIX PACK wrote: »
    Its madness we are being crusified left right & centre with all the different Taxes & now their out more than ever to fine us €80 a pop for doing a few km over the limit their should be a discretion of 8km
    The taxes thing is a strawman argument.
    There's already at least 4km/h allowance built into your speedometer so you can't be done for speeding if you keep your needle within the 80-84km/h range (or even up to 10% more depending on accuracy). Its not difficult to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

best one yet !!

Surely this type of behaviour can't be condoned by the authorities or by the police? Can't they be fined and receive penalty points for driving the wrong direction on a motorway?

best one yet !!

If he's under the flyover, he's on the Motorway, and thus isn't GoSafe. That was a real life cop van.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MissOphelia

I never go on the kk road or the Castledermot road to access the motorway anymore. I always head out the Wexford road and get on Tinryland ..100 km all the way out to the roundabout. Lots of people doing this now..no difference time wise..win win :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If I'm heading to Dublin, I'm not going out to Tinryland, which adds on 10 minutes. I don't see what the big deal is with keeping to the speed limit.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

If I'm heading to Dublin, I'm not going out to Tinryland, which adds on 10 minutes. I don't see what the big deal is with keeping to the speed limit.

10 minutes? What on earth are you driving :confused:
    Its 3 minutes from the Tullow Road roundabout to the Tinryland roundabout, keeping within the speed limit too...

No big deal but I fail to see the logic in decreasing the speed limits on the KK and the CD roads just because the motorway opened. Its not as if these roads have become any less or more safe because of this..

Happy driving!!;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You forgot to factor in the time it takes you to drive from the Tinryland roundabout to the Castledermot one on the motorway. I do agree that both link roads should be upgraded though.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

Just after passing one of the vans on the Carlow side of Powerstown, just inside the 80Km/h speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irisheyes121

Passed one on the N7 just before the Kill exit. Was driving under the 100 kph (about 97 on cruise control) and it flashed at me.... what does this mean.. another car was going faster in the outside lane but they were gone well past and it flashed just as I was passing? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Passed one on the N7 just before the Kill exit. Was driving under the 100 kph (about 97 on cruise control) and it flashed at me.... what does this mean.. another car was going faster in the outside lane but they were gone well past and it flashed just as I was passing? :mad:

It was probably for the other car. - These cameras are highy accurate.

Usually there are 2 flashes = 2 pics and the computer works out the speed at that point of the particular car.

You forgot to factor in the time it takes you to drive from the Tinryland roundabout to the Castledermot one on the motorway. I do agree that both link roads should be upgraded though.

No actually I didn't forget. It takes 9 minutes to get from the Tullow Road roundabout to the Castledermot exit if you access the motorway via Tinryland.

And it takes 8 minutes from Tullow Road roundabout to the Castledermot roundabout if you go on the Dublin Road via Fitpatricks garage etc. I've timed it loads of times and there's only a minute in the difference.

I live near Tullow road roundabout so it works for me. Not so for anyone across town though.

The speed limit from Deerpark roundabout to the roundabout at Darcy's furniture is 50 and 60km/h which is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Sunday evening the "safety" van was on the Dublin road, about 7pm just up from Topaz towards Braun. I'd say he got a good few there, as most never stick to 50kph along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Parked here yesterday between 12pm-18.00pm and today as of 11am

http://img819.imageshack.us/f/speedtrap.jpg/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Last Wednesday night at 7.30pm they were out the Dublin/Castledermot road pulled in on the right as you're heading for Castledermot (just after the turn off for Oak Park on the left). Van had it's hazard lights on, no markings whatsoever.

Got a letter today for 2 points and an €80 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

TheZohan wrote: »
    Last Wednesday night at 7.30pm they were out the Dublin/Castledermot road pulled in on the right as you're heading for Castledermot (just after the turn off for Oak Park on the left). Van had it's hazard lights on, no markings whatsoever.

Got a letter today for 2 points and an €80 fine.

they were at the powerstown roundabout this morning before 9 again.

where ya much over the limit as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

patrickc wrote: »
    they were at the powerstown roundabout this morning before 9 again.

where ya much over the limit as a matter of interest?

97 in a 80 zone according to the fine, only myself to blame but it's a good road and conditions were great.

patrickc wrote: »
    Sunday evening the "safety" van was on the Dublin road, about 7pm just up from Topaz towards Braun. I'd say he got a good few there, as most never stick to 50kph along there.

Passed him one or two occasions of a Sunday night as i am coming from in the Kilkenny side. One occasion we passed each other and the other he was pulled in. Often an unmarked car checking along the kilkenny road around Clarence gate

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

van parked just after milford cross last night and AGAIN this morning! whats the limit on how long they can stay in one area and how long before they can be in the same stretch again.

incidentally the traffic management at the college works on the green lane up from the bottle banks is non-existent. there is a yield sign where the lane is closed off on the lane going towards town - an extremely frustrating yield sign at that. was stopped there for minutes i did not have to spare whilst a bloke in a high vis stood surveying the fantastic job they were doing.

and wills bros. dont even get me started.

From looking at the copper's website, only the marked vans are catching you, the unmarked ones are just surveying.

There are of course unmarked Garda vans about too - not too many though, but the ones with the box on the roof are the GoSafe ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ThinkGreen

As a matter of interest, can the GoSafe vans detect you speeding while THEY are in motion??? I overtook it on the Motorway on Sunday night and after I passed he flashed the headlights at me. Did he catch me or was he just F*ckin with me?

• Advertisement

ThinkGreen wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, can the GoSafe vans detect you speeding while THEY are in motion??? I overtook it on the Motorway on Sunday night and after I passed he flashed the headlights at me. Did he catch me or was he just F*ckin with me?

No, definitely not.

Advertisement