Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"safety Vans"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 RyanP

flamegrill wrote: »
    The "sister in law", not quite yet, heh, got caught out near the Dump last week heading towards the KK direction also.

As did i.

Simply a money raiser, stupid indeed.
    <snip>

ThinkGreen wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, can the GoSafe vans detect you speeding while THEY are in motion??? I overtook it on the Motorway on Sunday night and after I passed he flashed the headlights at me. Did he catch me or was he just F*ckin with me?

Id imagine if the van is doing 70 and you are going 70 then would he not clock you at 140?? So no, i dont think they can try you then

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Jesus Christ, some of the posts on this thread...

Look, if the safety camera vans were revenue raising machines, then the company would be paid on commission (like used to happen in the UK). They're not. It makes no difference to the operator how many s/he spots. None. In fact, an effective safety van 'catches' nobody - everyone sees the van and the speeders slow down, mission accomplished.

As for those (SV, for instance) suggesting speed is in some way less deadly than drink driving, well, speed remains the number one cause of death on Irish roads. Plus, suggesting that being 10kmph over and being fined is harsh, (or that there should be a 8kmph discretion :rolleyes:) remember that if you hit a pedestrian at 50kmph there's a 50% chance they'll die - at 60kmph, this increases to 90%. These are facts, knowing them may save your life or someone else's.

I agree the speed limit on the Carlow-Paulstown stretch should never have been reduced from 100kmph to 80kmph and it's a stupid technicality.

Anyway, fair play to people posting locations. The whole point is you'll slow down in those areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

legendal wrote: »

Look, if the safety camera vans were revenue raising machines, then the company would be paid on commission (like used to happen in the UK). They're not. It makes no difference to the operator how many s/he spots. None. In fact, an effective safety van 'catches' nobody - everyone sees the van and the speeders slow down, mission accomplished.

As for those (SV, for instance) suggesting speed is in some way less deadly than drink driving, well, speed remains the number one cause of death on Irish roads. Plus, suggesting that being 10kmph over and being fined is harsh, (or that there should be a 8kmph discretion :rolleyes:) remember that if you hit a pedestrian at 50kmph there's a 50% chance they'll die - at 60kmph, this increases to 90%. These are facts, knowing them may save your life or someone else's.

I agree the speed limit on the Carlow-Paulstown stretch should never have been reduced from 100kmph to 80kmph and it's a stupid technicality.

Anyway, fair play to people posting locations. The whole point is you'll slow down in those areas.

Speed IS less dangerous than drink driving. Don't be ridiculous. Speed can be a contributing factor to death, not necessarily the reason for the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

legendal wrote: »

The fact that they're not on commission is a red herring. When that contract is up for renewal what would you imagine the key performance indicator will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

questioner wrote: »
    The fact that they're not on commission is a red herring. When that contract is up for renewal what would you imagine the key performance indicator will be?

How about a campaign to ensure everyone didn't drive faster than that number in the big red circle then those kpis will be screwed up. That'll teach 'em! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi
    Let's try keep this on topic any discussion on merits of, value of, purpose of the speeding vans should be taken over to the motors forum.
    The op started the thread about the locations of these vans in the Carlow region rather than about the merits of them.

Regards
    Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

I must say that the locations that these speed vans are located in also seem to have suffered from an unexplainable increase in incidents of dangerous overtaking.

not saying that this is the fault of the vans or anything just that people should watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

they were out at the dolmen again yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Safety Van, is just before the roundabout on the Carlow side of the Kilkenny road, on your way out of the dump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

he was just out past the dolmen this evening the kilkenny direction not far from the long straigh there.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

^^ I have started to totally avoid that road if possible , any trips in the bagenalstown,borris,new ross direction i now use the back road via dan morrissey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

They were parked the town side of the Dolmen Hotel on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

A sneaky sneaky one I've noticed last two Saturdays around 9.30pm on the Athy Road.

About two miles outside the town, buried in a gateway on the left hand side. Only that I was stuck behind cars I was caught. Could not see them in any shape or form until I was alongside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

another odd one is over outside Rathvilly, just outside the turn into Doyles Equestrian Centre there!! oddest place I have ever seen for one of them..!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

If you think thats odd, I regularly see one here (on the bend where it says R727 to the left of Tankardstown Cross).
    Clearly this one is not on commission!

muggyog wrote: »
    If you think thats odd, I regularly see one here (on the bend where it says R727 to the left of Tankardstown Cross).
    Clearly this one is not on commission!

While it's within the designated zone it does seem an odd place all right cause it's not a bend you can take at the 80km/h speed limit. Probably there to catch the odd speeder along the section coming from the cross. Another reason for putting a van there is unpredictability, if they never put one there people will behave as normal. At least now the word will get around that vans do monitor that road and it might act as a slight deterrent.

oh, and none of the vans are on commission ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Passed one between the M9 & Ballon this Saturday at lunchtime.
    Every oncoming car was flashing like mad so you couldn't have missed it.
    As they can't pull you for flashing other drivers I believe the old squad car deterrent was more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

They were parked outside Quinns mini market on Green Lane on Saturday evening. Its a 50 zone along there, what is the designated area for the speed van along there? I never noticed any speed camera signs.

• Advertisement

Dj wrote: »
    They were parked outside Quinns mini market on Green Lane on Saturday evening. Its a 50 zone along there, what is the designated area for the speed van along there? I never noticed any speed camera signs.

Green Lane is the R448 and is marked on the Garda website as a designated safety camera zone. There are a number of speed camera signs along the R448.
    In general I find the number of camera signs is minute compared to the number of speed limit signs. Ideally I'd like to see a camera sign posted on every speed limit sign along these zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Green Lane is the R448 and is marked on the Garda website as a designated safety camera zone. There are a number of speed camera signs along the R448.
    In general I find the number of camera signs is minute compared to the number of speed limit signs. Ideally I'd like to see a camera sign posted on every speed limit sign along these zones.

the punishment for speeding on this stretch at the moment is a broken suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

slimjimmc wrote: »

There is a speed camera sign outide the entrance for Superquinn on Kennedy Ave must be a warning for turning onto Barrack St. A stupid question do the speed vans check speed in both directions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    As they can't pull you for flashing other drivers I believe the old squad car deterrent was more effective.

I was always of the understanding that they could pull you for flashing.
    To be honest, I never flash anybody, if a person is speeding then they should pay the penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

almighty1 wrote: »
    To be honest, I never flash anybody, if a person is speeding then they should pay the penalty.

The cops can, the vans can't obviously.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Very difficult to prove you were flashing a speed warning, you may have hit the wrong button for the wipers, might have thought you knew the person etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Aye but the purpose of the safety vans is to act as a visual deterrent to stop motorists speeding, flashing motorists does the very same thing.

I flashed a squad car on the Kilkenny road the other day to give it the heads up. :o Not intentionally...

TheZohan wrote: »
    Aye but the purpose of the safety vans is to act as a visual deterrent to stop motorists speeding

Huh :confused:
    The vans are there to catch you speeding thats why they are hidden.
    The visual deterent are the signs on the side of the road.

Flashing somebody to alert them of speed vans is morally wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Huh :confused:
    The vans are there to catch you speeding thats why they are hidden.
    The visual deterent are the signs on the side of the road.

Flashing somebody to alert them of speed vans is morally wrong.

They're not hidden, they're plastered with signs stating what they are.

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    They're not hidden, they're plastered with signs stating what they are.

:rolleyes: When they park to catch you, they hide. In gateways, lay-bys wherever. Certainly in rural areas anyway.

Its hardly going to be an effective system if they park in full view so Mr Speedy can slow down before he gets caught.

Advertisement