Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

using 24v and 12v batteries with 24v alternator

• 08-01-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi there,

our camper van has a 24v alternator with 2 batteries in series, it's exclusively for the engine, on the other hand I have 1 battery that I want to keep in 12v.

Why ?
    'coz the battery is a 270 amp elecsol and I don't have the money (£300) to get another one to have them in parallel (24v), I also heard that it wouldn't be good for a long term run to have different batteries capacity (270 amps with 110 for example)
    my solar panels are made for 12v system, even if there is a little trick with the wire to run them in 24v (manufacturer tip), I don't really want to go that way. And also 24v inverters are more expensive that 12v inverters so it add up to the bill.

the solar system will be on 12v connected through a controller to my 12v leisure battery.
    We would like the engine's alternator to charge up the leisure battery as well as the engine batteries while running and having the solar system charging up while resting somewhere. Is it possible ?

I read about : split relay chargers, 24v to 12v converters, but it's hard for me to have a good picture of what am I dealing with here.

My understanding in electricity is very, very basic. So if one of you could give me some sort of help to do it, it would be very appreciated and be useful for me or anyone who get a 24v system in their camper van but still want to run the "living area" from a 12v system leisure battery.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Thats all very confusing, is this a camper you are converting or are you modifying an existing conversion. Is the living are currently running on 24v and you want to convert to 12v?

There is a previous post where I linked to this page that lists various options for getting 12v from your 24 batteries.

http://bus.getdave.com/Docs/12Von24V/

ashfaclan wrote: »
    I don't have the money (£300) to get another one to have them in parallel (24v)

Batteries must be in series for 24v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

you can get a 24 to 12v transformer quite cheaply . I fitted one to a camper I helped build , it had a 24v, bus chassis ,with everything on 12v in the "house".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Have you the chassis in 24V and the body in 12?

It can be changed by means of a clever setup of relays. I've done this in in my van to get 24V on demand as I need it for the night heater...... Must dig that out and post it up in my own thread.....

Advertisement