Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling gap above upvc door?

• 08-01-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello, I have a timber door and frame in an opening of 1200mm wide and 2160mm high. I want to replace it with a upvc door. The problem I have is most places standard size doors are 900x2100. I don't mind bricking up the 300mm gap to the side but how do I fill the 60mm gap at the top of the door? Could anyone suggest a supplier of mismeasures or misfit doors aswell, might get lucky and not have to fill any gap!

Ps. It's my shed door so thats why I amn't too worried about getting a bespoke door or having to brick up the gaps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

when you brick up each side, could you sit a concrete or wooden lintel on top of the last course of bricks so it fits the standard size door. then fill the gap between the top of the new lentil and the existing frame with mortor or expanding foam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

You could also build a timber frame above and buy a upvc profile and cut to shape and cover the gap above the door. Fill inside between new support frame with expanding foam and then install another profile on the inside.

Stove fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ste15

Thats a good idea, I never thought of that, I was only thinking of bricking up one side of the door because its the easy option. I will have to look into what size profile lintels come in. I dont want to use timber though because timber outdoors equals maintenance. Thanks for that.

Thanks stove fan, good idea also, I've never seen upvc profiles before, are they similar to whats used for soffit's and fascia's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the local builder provider here has them, they have steel running trough them to re-inforce them. if you only plan to brick up one side you could cut into the existing reveal on one side and seat the lintel on that side and use the last course of blocks to hold up the other side.

• Advertisement

Cheers for your help indie armada!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Why can't you get one made to measure?

Hi Fingers McGee, made to measure are more expensive because it has to be made up specially, where as standard sizes would come off the shelf and I would imagine are mass produced so cheaper. Mismeasures and misfits would be doors that a customer ordered to fit but came the wrong size so you are left with a non standard opening size door that can't be easily resold on, so these would be cheaper than standard doors for that reason.
    If you could suggest anyone who could make me up a door to fit for the same price as a standard door I would be very happy because you would be saving me money and work!

Advertisement