Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I just bought an Xbox...

• 08-01-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭

Finally took the plunge and bought an Xbox 250gb on Thursday, but already I'm as confused as a fat kid with a salad. Hope some of you can point me (and maybe others in the same situation) in the right direction. If there's a general help thread you can merge it to there..

Firstly I've only got FIFA 11 thus far and having not owned a console since the PS2 I feel as if I'm a dinosaur when it comes to games such as Halo and Call of Duty. I used to love games such as Metal Gear Solid, Timesplitters, Madden, James Bond games, GTA Series etc, so what games would you advise?

Also, I've been playing a bit online FIFA (playing through the internet connection in my laptop and a network cable - can't get my head around setting up the wireless) and the first game I played had no lag or jumpiness about it at all, but since then it's every 7-8mins of the match there's a bit of a stoppage. Is there any way of finding out if it's my internet or theirs that is lagging?

If it helps, here's the results of the speedtest
    1103137080.png

I had other questions in my mind but can't bloody think of them now. Anyways, if anyone can help I'd be delighted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Your speeds etc are pretty good for online gaming but you have to change your Nat on the eircom router to open. (There's a sticky on the top of the forum for setting up connections etc) and just make sure you don't have torrents, etc running when playing online.

So, so many games. Mass Effect 1+2, Gears of war 1+2, Call of duty series, Fallout games, Alan Wake, Batman Arkhum Asylum. Loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I'd recommend GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption and Madden 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I'd also go for Red Dead, GTA 4 and for the online bit Medal of Honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pings are pish poor tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

siblers wrote: »
    So, so many games. Mass Effect 1+2, Gears of war 1+2, Call of duty series, Fallout games, Alan Wake, Batman Arkhum Asylum. Loads

What he said, cracking games all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

listermint wrote: »
    Pings are pish poor tbh.

Not necessarily, he wont be able to host but shouldn't have any problem joining games, he speeds were more or less what I had with ericom and online gaming ran very smoothly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Redbassist

Dont froget halo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

Pings are pish poor tbh.

Stats are almost identical to mine(eircom also) and I have been playing both ps3 and xbox online for the last few years without ever a problem. Agree that you may have a NAT issue, but this can be resolved if you follow the threads on here. Enjoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Thanks everyone for your replies. Picked up Madden there yesterday and have been playing it non-stop. Great game but the online side of it seemed to be having problems (something to do with the EA servers someone in the American Football forum said). So hopefully my internet should hold up ok for online play. Managed to set my NAT to open after a bit of looking around.

Think I'll invest in a couple of second hand versions of COD or Gears of War that before I go for the newer ones, at least then I can get used to the gameplay of it.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Sorry to bring up this thread again but got another question regarding EA Sports games. I've got FIFA 11 and Madden 11 and it's now looking for a code to play these two online, what's this about and how much is it? I though once you paid for your Live package that was it??

So do I have to buy a code for every game? Bit of a rip off isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

No, it's a security feature that ea use. On the back of the instruction booklet is the code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If they're second hand games then its likely you'll have to dip back into your pocket - its the only way EA can make money on second hand sales

If they're new, the code should be on the manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Pings are pish poor tbh.

Mine are typically in the 200s and I can play online no bother, and host (occasionally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Welcome. Got mine just recently too!

I'd highly recommend Dead Space, Gears of War (mentioned already), Left 4 Dead, Halo (currently playing Reach. Fantastic game!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

dead space.
    bio shock 1
    battlefield bad company 2 (online codes needed)
    red dead redemption ( gta on horseback)
    forza motorsport
    fight night

Advertisement