Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garryhill, Co Carlow 8-1-2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Love stockie bashing in winter, can be great sport on lures or buzzers/bloodworms, seems to have been a good session :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

I was here today but i didnt know the bank collapsed on the main lake during the week. if you know the place you will know what im talking about. anyway 2/3rds of the water is gone and it all washed into the bottom lake which then overflowed into the stream that flows adjacent to the property. massive damage done to the bank. i'm sure that there was hundreds if not thousands of fish killed and any of the bigger fish that were in it are now lost. i still caught a couple on sweetcorn. i wanted to use the fly but it was pointless. the bottom lake was very dirty and i think a lot of the fish are gone. in fairness they have been working day and night. the bank has been rebuilt already and they hope to restock it very shortly as they had fish ready to go into it. i would be curious to know if any of the fish got into the stream. its an awful pity as there was some big in it i have often got 5 and 6 pound fish on lures fished deep. Now that the water is gone out of it you can see how deep it was 18ft in places!!! only a few weeks ago a 14lb trout was caught in it

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Thats not good.
    I fished here 3/4 years ago just after the new lake was done and was one of the best days fly fishing iv had. Sound bloke the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Hmmmm.....wouldn't be on my list of fisheries to visit, even though I've been there several times..

Too many sweet corn fishing going on which is destroying the main lake...but they seem to have bigger problems at the moment..

Can you confirm as to whether the fish are in the local stream??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its possible that a handful of fish got into the river, but a lot of water came out onto the road and part of the wall at the bridge had to be knocked down to allow the water to drain into the river on the other side. I'd say the otters and minks had a field day.

my advice, if you are a fly angler, go else where..

Between the bait, spinning anglers and dead fish in the lake, Avoid :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

my advice, if you are a fly angler, go else where..

Between the bait, spinning anglers and dead fish in the lake, Avoid :eek::eek::eek::eek:

what's wrong with spinning anglers??

Well take a drive over there and watch, fish were flung on to the bank, no landing nets, and fish just fired in willy nilly back into the lake..

It was sickening.

I saw 6 dead fish floating near 3 guys that were spinning, go figure :mad:

Not my kind of fishing..

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Well take a drive over there and watch, fish were flung on to the bank, no landing nets, and fish just fired in willy nilly back into the lake..

It was sickening.

I saw 6 dead fish floating near 3 guys that were spinning, go figure :mad:

Not my kind of fishing..

I agree not mine either,

but you'll always have a minority at it, not just spinner anglers. A few weeks ago on my local river I saw 2 dead sea trout with the heads cut off not even gutted , lying on the bank in an area fished by bait fishermen.

I spin but use nets, c+r 99% except when herself is after some. Even then i use a priest and legal limits.

Sounds to me more of a management issue, surely if they were informed or patrolling then these sights would be of rare occurance.

Information and education is the best way forward. Things like this should be pointed out not ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭owelfisherman

breghall wrote: »
    I agree not mine either,

but you'll always have a minority at it, not just spinner anglers. A few weeks ago on my local river I saw 2 dead sea trout with the heads cut off not even gutted , lying on the bank in an area fished by bait fishermen.

I spin but use nets, c+r 99% except when herself is after some. Even then i use a priest and legal limits.

Sounds to me more of a management issue, surely if they were informed or patrolling then these sights would be of rare occurance.

Information and education is the best way forward. Things like this should be pointed out not ignored.

i was down there in feb..caught nothing

Advertisement