Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute town to citywest/palmerstown

Options
  • 09-01-2011 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi everyone
    Looking for some help please.i am looking for somewhere to live for two people.one will be working in Citywest(has a car) the other in Palmerstown(no car). We want to be close enough to town but not too far to commute daily either.After looking at the bus routes to Palmerstown the Chapelizord,Islandbridge,Kilmainham areas look ideal. What is traffic like from these areas to Citywest and which would be best for both areas? Any help would be great thanks everyone :):):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Two main choices. Live in Palmerston (There is no "w"! But many people put it in anyway. :)) or live somewhere on a bus route that goes through there. So, any of the 25, 26, 66 or 67 groups of buses.

Route Description
    18 From Palmerstown (Old Lucan Rd.) Towards Sandymount
    25 Merrion Sq. Towards Lucan (Dodsboro)
    25a Merrion Sq. Towards Lucan (Esker Church)
    25b From Merrion Sq. Towards Adamstown Rail Station
    25n Westmoreland St. to Lucan (Dodsboro)
    25x Lucan Towards UCD Belfield
    26 From Merrion Sq. Towards Palmerstown (Cemetery)
    51d Hawkins St. Towards Clondalkin
    66 Merrion Sq. Towards Maynooth
    66a From Merrion Sq. Towards Leixlip (Captain’s Hill)
    66b From Merrion Sq.Towards Leixlip (Castletown)
    66n Westmoreland St. to Leixlip (Louisa Bridge)
    66x From UCD Belfield Towards Maynooth
    67 Merrion Sq. Towards Maynooth
    67n Westmoreland St. to Celbridge / Maynooth
    67x Celbridge (Salesian College) Towards UCD Belfield
    76 Ballyfermot / Blanchardstown to Fettercairn
    76a Ballyfermot / Blanchardstown to Tallaght (The Square)
    76b Ballyfermot / Blanchardstown to Balrothery

You need to balance commuting to work with other travel

Assuming you are going against he flow, most traffic should be OK.

Have a look here: http://www.mkmap.com/dublin but note the site is out of date (the bus routes are undergoing reorganisation), so confirm it here: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/?searchtype=place&searchquery=Palmerstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Your best bet is Palmerstown or Chapelizod - or even Inchicore. I work in Citywest, I commute from D 8, it takes 15 to 20 mins or half an hour sometimes to drive it (when I get a lift) depending on the traffic and it's relatively easy to drive to coming from the Naas Road. For the non driver working in Palmerstown it would be dead handy to live in Palmerstown and also handy enough for the driver going to Citywest.

Or...from Dublin 8 you can get buses to Palmerstown, from the Conyngham Rd so Islandbridge is also an option that may suit both (brings you up into Chapelizod and then onto Palmerstown). There are many bus options in Palmerstown too for busing it into town at weekends and it's not a bad place to live, I lived there myself for a year a couple of years ago. Hope this info helps, and best of luck.

Advertisement