Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internal insulation

• 09-01-2011 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

anyone tell me how i can insulate the inside of my house? sitting room wall is showing paint bubbles. as much detail as possible please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

anyone tell me how i can insulate the inside of my house? sitting room wall is showing paint bubbles. as much detail as possible please

If the "bubbles" on the wall are damp related, then you need to find and fix the cause of the dampness first. If you don't, internally insulating this wall will cause a much bigger problem down the road.
    (Imo, internally insulating a wall should be the absolutely last option chosen when insulating a wall.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭IRISHROVER98

there is no leak or radiator near the wall, the only condensation i can see there is from the window above and beside where the area is bubbling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

The bubbles (my view without seen it) are caused by dampness trying to get out through the paint. Mick the Man is right. Dry lining only covers up a problem. Fix the problem first.

how do i go about fixing the problem

how do i go about fixing the problem

You need to:
    1. Verify that it is indeed moisture causing the bubbles.
    2. Assuming that moisture is the problem, you need to find the source.
    3. Only when you know the source will you be able to take remedial action.

You will need the advise and input from an experienced professional to isolate the problem and make recommendations to fix. There are several factors which need to be taken into account so it would be best to have a professional do an on-site assessment. I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

yes mick it does, im in portlaoise so do you know anyone or can you recommend anyone i could call?

pm sent

First you have to find the problem. It could be cracked plaster, It could be a leak in the roof. Badly installed cavity insulation, First find out what your wall is and we can go from there.

With single walls the cement plaster allows moisture to get in and it normally comes out inside your house. Lime plaster also allows moisture in but the lime vaporises the moisture sending it out as vapour. My opinion is that you have to lime plaster the outside of your house.

Advertisement