Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you change to be with somebody?

• 09-01-2011 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Was thinking about this for a while there was a lady on facebook who totally changed;

she went vegan etc..and sad she couldnt be with a non-vegan. Which i thought was a bit mad tbh.

So would you change to be with someone?
    Would you;
    • become a vegan
    • stop smoking (if you did)
    • stop drinking (if you did)
    • believe in the same things she/he did?
    • move miles to be closer
    • etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

my jocks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No way Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Would you;
    • become a vegan - Hell no!
    • stop smoking (if you did) - dont smoke..
    • stop drinking (if you did) - Not a chance
    • believe in the same things she/he did? No.
    • move miles to be closer Maybe..
    • etc - boobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

No. Well yes, I would do things I wouldn't mind doing.

But I wouldn't stop bein' me.

'cause even if they were really hot I still wouldn't want to be with them if they were so different to me.

So, no, not really.

* become a vegan never
    * stop smoking (if you did) I'd try it's not the nicotene....:(
    * stop drinking (if you did) no
    * believe in the same things she/he did? no
    * move miles to be closer no
    * etc probably not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd consider moving.

No to any of the rest. Especially not the vegan thing. A life without meat? Forget it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yes if they were positive changes that I wanted and had put on the long finger e.g. if I still smoked and was asked to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Depends on the growler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Depends on the somebody and if the were worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

I think most would say no way I'd never change to be with someone else. In my experience most of my friends have changed as their relationships have gone on. All of them have moved to be with their partner. Many have sacrificed their careers to have children even though they were previously very career minded. One turned her back on vegetarianism after 10 years of no meat. I think its inevitable that you make some changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

I would move to be with somebody, but no to everything else, although I don't smoke and I would be willing to limit my intake of alcohol as a compromise.

Although who knows, maybe the right person could change my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Scram wrote: »
    Was thinking about this for a while there was a lady on facebook who totally changed;

she went vegan etc..and sad she couldnt be with a non-vegan. Which i thought was a bit mad tbh.

So would you change to be with someone?
    Would you;
    • become a vegan (dunno, would all depend on how it tasted tbh)
    • stop smoking (if you did) (I'm not much of a smoker have one now and again, so yeah)
    • stop drinking (if you did) (nope, not whilst my balls hung down)
    • believe in the same things she/he did? (hell no! My beliefs are mine, you keep yours, if need be, we'll agree to disagree and move on!)
    • move miles to be closer (already have, from co Derry, to County Kildare!)
    • etc

So, pretty right for me, and theyre still hanging freely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Nope. If someone loves you or wants to be with you, their first thought shouldn't be "what can I change about you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

It depends - suppose you could ask if you'd expect someone to change like that for you (think most people would think that's fairly unreasonable). The only one I would consider would be the moving. I don't smoke so that's out and I don't drink a massive amount (but I wouldn't like anyone telling me I shouldn't). I eat a lot of veggie food anyway so I wouldn't mind eating vegan meals, but I don't think I could give up dairy and the few kinds of meat and fish I do like to eat.

As for beliefs, I don't understand how you could change them - you could maybe become less hardline in your stance if that's how you are/were but basically you're suppressing your own opinions and lying to yourself imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'd move to be with them if it was easier for me to move than him. And while i might not exactly change my beliefs, i might end up with new ones too. I think though that some of their habits etc might rub off on me in the long run so i would imagine some change is inevitable. Nothing major though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

No. I am what I am love it or leave it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Not a ****ing chance. If someone can't take you as you are (as long as you're not a pyschopath or generally a evil person) then they should just keep looking tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I wouldn't convert to islam or start getting up at 6am for 10 miles jogs and the likes..

little things yes but big things probably not unless they were going to be actually helpful for my health and stuff I know I should do myself but just need to be pushed to actually do - such as stopping smoking or going to the gym more often etc etc

Honestly, I would try to stop being such a grumpy bastard in the mornings, that's the least you could do if someone is gonna wake up beside you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

the only thing I'd change would be me jocks.......

special occasion and all.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

YOu could meet the other person half way.... like you could agree to give up smoking if she started eating certain types of meat. And if she disagrees then sneak it into her food.

I'm all about the compromise, me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I think you do inevitably change when you are with someone, for the better or for the worse

If I became vegan I'd starve. So no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Not a ****ing chance. If someone can't take you as you are (as long as you're not a pyschopath or generally a evil person) then they should just keep looking tbh.

So no chance of upgrading from handbag to briefcase then, Jerry?:pac:

Yes, I think some change is inevitable. But it's quite strange when someone changes to be exactly like their partner. Colour coordinated outfits etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AH answer

I'd change her if she wasn't good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Yes, I think some change is inevitable. But it's quite strange when someone changes to be exactly like their partner. Colour coordinated outfits etc.

I think the dressing alike thing can happen a lot by accident just from being so close to someone and having similar tastes etc, I'm sure there's also some deep psychological ideas on subconsciously wanting people to know you're a couple or some buried resentment towards your identical twin for stealing half of you and subconsciously trying to rebuild that with somebody else so you can beCOME THE SUPERHUMAN YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE

>_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Oh jaysus no. I no change ever :)

Oh jaysus no. I no change ever :)

I watched you changing earlier on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

I watched you changing earlier on :)

the last jiggle was especially for you :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

hmmm depends...

is she hot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Doubtful, but sure God loves a trier so I would tell her to give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I would never make a drastic change,like become a Vegan.

I would never take up smoking either(dont smoke so I cant give it up)

I would give up the drink,as I hardly drink much now anyway.

No point in becoming interested in all the same things, the relationship would only get boring then.

At the end of the day I wouldnt want to go out with a female version of myself,but with someone with their own interests and personality created from their life experiances. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

No whilst I am all for change I would not change my general belief systems to be with anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Small changes are natural for every relationship. There is not one person who is exactly the same in a relationship as they were when they were single (save for people fresh into a relationship).

For example, when i was living by myself, i worked, ate and played games. Thats it, nothing else. Herself moved in, now i work, eat, play games and spend time watching crap on the tv with her. And i gave up smoking. But if she was to ask me to give up gaming, well then we'd have a problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Was it Liz Taylor who said "Wives spend 20 years trying to change their husbands and then wonder why they aren't the man they married" ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I ain't changin' nothin' for nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Was it Liz Taylor who said "Wives spend 20 years trying to change their husbands and then wonder why they aren't the man they married" ?

Good one!

Another one I like is Eistein's...

“Women marry men hoping they will change. Men marry women hoping they will not. So each is inevitably disappointed"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well I'd move for them. None of that other crap. You change naturally with anybody depending on the two personalities etc. I changed too much in my last one, it was refreshing afterwards. I think I'm a way better person than I was after each relationship, so the past ones got an even rawer deal :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I reckon that if i met the right person, i could stop drinking, stop smoking (even if i don't) become a vegan etc etc.

If it was the right person i could do anything - but i probably couldn't change my beliefs. My beliefs are my beliefs and i don't think anyone can change them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I think the dressing alike thing can happen a lot by accident just from being so close to someone and having similar tastes etc, I'm sure there's also some deep psychological ideas on subconsciously wanting people to know you're a couple or some buried resentment towards your identical twin for stealing half of you and subconsciously trying to rebuild that with somebody else so you can beCOME THE SUPERHUMAN YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE

>_>

That doesn't happen with me. I ate my identical twin in the womb.:pac:

/superhuman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Change happens naturally as you stay together and try and accommodate each other: that sometimes involves stopping doing things you like and changing your ways but any laying down of the law or forcible tinkering and I'd be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I think I could modify my ways a bit if necessary, drink less or drink more etc. As for moving to be closer, no problem at all, job is quite good that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No. I have kind of changed a bit for not for the better for some guy, I realised I wasn't myself! It depends on what my partner would want me to change? I don't smoke, I drink, I'm a partial vegitarian so don't know what he want to change? The only thing I would ask for him to do for me is to give up smoking but he doesn't have to do it to be with me, if he not smoke in front of me I be ok with that, if he wanted to give up for me then I be happy with that if he didn't then it's his choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I draw the line at pretending to be nice and caring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Would you;
    • become a vegan - Hell no!
    • stop smoking (if you did) - dont smoke..
    • stop drinking (if you did) - Not a chance
    • believe in the same things she/he did? No way. My belief in the teapot on the rings of saturn is unbreakable
    • move miles to be closer depends, possibly.
    • etc - Atari Changeuar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

The only thing I'd change would be the smoking thing tbh - Only cos I'm looking for a good excuse to quit anyway....well, apart from the major health risks associated too that is! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i moved. then contact became almost non-existant. so that was a great time!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe I would stop smoking if I could.
    Move somewhere, sure if I could work there too.
    Change beliefs, depends on what they are but I wouldn't start praying to a god. Political beliefs maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

nobody should change for anybody.....move closer...maybe!

• Advertisement
Advertisement