Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New 'Cool' Breed- Siberian Husky

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

caseyann wrote: »
    No offence intended to the poster but i hate when people buy a pet or get one just because its a new thing and become popular and call it cool breed.

And shock collar on a pup can someone report that please.:mad:

Is the first part in regards to me, the OP, beause I was the one complaining about the whole 'cool' breed thing?

And as for reporting them, there isn't really anything i could do, though I hope that my advice put them off it. It was tough though, I really was on the verge of just going, "Dammit, give me the ****ing dog and I'll find it a proper home!!"
    I was talking to a vet nurse recently about a japanese akita x mal, she was saying how she'd never trust one (akita) and that she had heard how they can just snap, and that she'd trust even a rottie over an akita! rolleyes.gif Im a vet nursing student and some of the things you hear from students are just unreal, people who claim to love animals and want to spend their lives working with them coming out with statments such as "wouldn't it be great to work in a practice in the UK, they've banned dangerous dogs over there!". rolleyes.gif I agree it's like a paediatrician hating children!

Its actually ridiculous how people view the akitas. I've only had my pup five weeks and most people (thankfully) adore him, but there have still been a number of people who go "Oh but aren't they a vicious breed?" I mostly say, "Yes, can't you see him mauling the face off me? And my two kittens sleep on top of him, what a monster!!" I was talking to a woman about her dogs the other day and she asked me what I have, I told her, and she turned to me and said, "Oh an Akita? You know you're going to have problems with that dog. They're very dangerous; they nearly always turn on their owners." As the owner of a rottweiler I would have expected her to give RBs a chance but surprise, surprise. Really had to bite my tongue at that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

That's such bull. Any dog that is properly trained and looked after isn't going to just turn on its owner. And if you're a responsible owner and you see your dog developing troublesome quirks, you'll either get it checked out to make sure it's nothing medical or you'll go back to basics with training, or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I wouldn't get a husky or a malamute in a million years. They're just totally unsuited to my lifestyle - I have six cats and I work full time and a husky in my yard - he'd dig, wallow, eat my cats, chew the garden to shreds, lead my other dog astray and get bored and start to clear my fences to play with the neighbour's dogs.

As it stands I discovered something spectacular with my bull arab now he's eight months - he needs about 45 mins for a walk, if we take it up to an hour he gets fussy near the end because he's tired and bored of trudging.

Then I discovered swimming. I can now walk him for 10 minutes from the carpark to the lake, and stand on the side of the lake and throw sticks for him for half an hour as he exercises his splashy self, then 10 minutes back to the car. On the weekend there's a 3km round-trip bush walk we can take if feeling very energetic, and he can even swim at the end of that if he wants to, so all in all as he grows we're finding a happy medium to suit both of us and it's working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

I have two huskys, and i'm the same, talking people out of getting this breed unless they know all about them or have had one before.
    My girls are lucky, they come to daycare every day so get plenty of exercise, I dread to think of what they'd be like without it! they're very mischievous, love ripping things up, digging, and getting in to places they shouldnt!!

The fact that they love to run and cant be trusted off leash is what scares me about uneducated people owning the breed.

They seem so popular at the mo, my pup's breeder (not a breeder, only had one litter to keep two boys, and mums now neutered) is fantastic, and has taken two of the pups back after the people who took them realised that they grow :rolleyes: . they keep getting phone calls for people looking for dogs with blue eyes / dont have secure gardens / want to breed them etc.

Its crazy the amount of people that look at huskys and get money signs in their eyes! If bred properly there's NO money in it and chances are you'll make a big loss.

Ive two (spayed) girls, and I hate the fact that people looking at me will probably assume Im breeding them!

Advertisement