Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenart Castle ??

Options
  • 09-01-2011 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Anyone know if its of lease/sale/sold or just rotten away??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nice selection of photographs here: http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Glenart-Castle-Vale-Road-Arklow-Co-Wicklow/60300/

I thought it was a privately owned house - shows what I know. The bar pictured here has to be one of the tackiest creations that I ever seen.

RiwClq1LoyaX2AqdZAuwI4nozzE8qAMYlS482zW_rodtPXBpZSZoPTQ1MA==.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

when was it last open as a hotel? Decor looks pretty old (80s?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

loyatemu wrote: »
    when was it last open as a hotel? Decor looks pretty old (80s?).

As far as I know it hasn't been a hotel in over 6 years. There used to be a Chinese restaurant in it for a few years too, got a decent bit of business from what I remember.

It's a shame it's not being used as it's a fantastic looking building, if someone put a good bit of money in to it when the country was booming then it might have been a successful hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mnhj

Hi, I know some stuff about Glenart, but i'd like to know why u would like the information, because, even though it is an open property, we would like to keep it private. please reply soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It would be interesting to know what is happening to Glenart Castle because both the castle and the grounds are a very important part of the heritage of the area.
    Many people worry that the property could fall into a state of disrepair. This has already happened with other important properties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Passed near Glenart castle recently. Big padlocks on the entrance gate and from what I could see from a little way off, the roads and buildings look a bit dilapidated. They ran well publicised Halloween events here in 2016 but from what I noted on the ground, little since? Last time I visited the place was about ten years ago and you could drive up to the doors then, the place seemed to be in business. Pity to see it like that as it surely has potential to attract quite a few visitors in 'Irelands Ancient East' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

there used to be some serious raves in glenart back in the day. bus loads of people would come from all over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

There'll be another halloween show again this year;
    http://glenartoutdoors.com/
    Honestly, I enjoyed the 2016 event but it wasn't very scary.
    On the other hand, I saw someone who ended up having a serious panic attack and had to be helped back to the entrance when they refused to go any further. Each to their own, I guess.

It's a real shame they have locked it up outside of these events. The grounds made for a real lovely walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

d31b0y wrote: »
    It's a real shame they have locked it up outside of these events. The grounds made for a real lovely walk.

You can still walk the woods,carpark at front of castle and walk up via gate house according to coillte

http://www.coillte.ie/media/2017/01/Wicklow-Glenart_walk-2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I must pop up again in that case. Everything certainly seemed locked down last time I was there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

d31b0y wrote: »
    Honestly, I enjoyed the 2016 event but it wasn't very scary.
    On the other hand, I saw someone who ended up having a serious panic attack and had to be helped back to the entrance when they refused to go any further. Each to their own, I guess.

Just as well these events are at night time then I suppose as the environs certainly look a bit run down in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I thought you could only access Glenart woods now from the other side, the football club grounds. Would be great to still access woods from the castle side. Please let me know if it's the case :)

Advertisement