Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clocked car? The evidence is pretty overwhelming....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a UK car with no mention of service history in the advert, how can they stand over the mileage if they have no evidense to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

137,711 Mls back in July of 2008 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

If the owner didn't import it I'd say he very much believes it is genuine mileage.

Sickening how this happens

EDIT: you may want to copy the link into the scams thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Are you gonna send this report to the seller? cops? website? simi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

did poor paul selling the car think he saved a fortune buying a car in the uk!

that is fairly high mileage for a 5 year old car, i assume its a reps car that has been clocked, did the seller on donedeal only import the car at the start of december:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

id say it has at least double the milage its advertised at.

60k knocked off it really at least, 4 years driving. If he's that adamant its not clocked he doesnt like the idea he's been shafted himself, is realising it will be very hard to shift or if clocked it himself.

According to the Motorcheck report it's priced about right, €7440 is the valuation for a poor car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

that is shocking, but i suppose it goes to prove how paying a few extra euro for a history check can make it all worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

andyseadog wrote: »
    that is shocking, but i suppose it goes to prove how paying a few extra euro for a history check can make it all worth it!

or it goes to prove hondas go on for as long as the world will end....

upon first looking at that ad, i could see no way did that do 80k miles, i was thinking 150k at least.

common sense is needed also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He's got 3 cars for sale on donedeal in the last 4 days, I'd be checking them all

at a very quick google of the sellers phone number, hes also uploaded these 2 adverts in the last 2 days, id be curious to know if these cars had a history, but dont have 70 quid to pay for the curiosity.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1783869

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1787784

edit : beaten to it by colm :)

at a very quick google of the sellers phone number, hes also uploaded these 2 adverts in the last 2 days, id be curious to know if these cars had a history, but dont have 70 quid to pay for the curiosity.

The tyres on that merc look flat also its funny how the cars are pictured outside all different houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

does that mercedes have 2 flat tyres:confused:

or it goes to prove hondas go on for as long as the world will end....

upon first looking at that ad, i could see no way did that do 80k miles, i was thinking 150k at least.

common sense is needed also
    aside from the car being in a thread that alerted you to it being clocked what made you think there was 150k at least on it ?

RoverJames wrote: »
    aside from the car being in a thread that alerted you to it being clocked what made you think there was 150k at least on it ?

I think he used the magnifying glass from CSI to read the service history which the seller had just dumped :pac:

one of the wheels is missing a center cap :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

The cupholder was showing excessive wear :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

johnos1984 wrote: »
    .... also its funny how the cars are pictured outside all different houses

But there not. check again. Edit: two different ads. but different places your right there . its common. even i do it when taken photo of my cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

OPs post reported for being a blatant shill for motorcheck services.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Motorcheck wrote: »
    I'd be interested in what people think about this report that was run yesterday. The car in question is advertised at http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1790944.

A customer of ours tells us that the seller swears mileage is genuine but our report has some pretty compelling evidence against it. See it here http://www.motorcheck.ie/report/05D90750/XEHJRW
    Do you really need us to explain the service that you sell to your customers or as jimmy says, are you just advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

kbannon wrote: »
    Do you really need us to explain the service that you sell to your customers or as jimmy says, are you just advertising?

Its one step removed from spam but heh its public service innit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

But there not. check again. Edit: two different ads. but different places your right there . its common. even i do it when taken photo of my cars.
    Does this help achieve sales?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

from the CLK ad
    selling as I need saloon car!

:confused:

he's also selling a saloon and an estate

I tried to ring him to tell him but he won't answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

esel wrote: »
    Does this help achieve sales?

nope but you may have got a nicer photo after you have the add up. sometimes it can help getting ppl to look at the add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

His username is registered as Motorcheck. I cant see what your problem is? He has being great here giving people advice and free reports to Boards users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

-Corkie- wrote: »
    His username is registered as Motorcheck. I cant see what your problem is? He has being great here giving people advice and free reports to Boards users.

Have to agree to be fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Have to agree to be fair!

Lads leave the moderating to the mods please :)

Onkle wrote: »

In fairness he is being treated badly and the mods are at the head of the pack :)

• Advertisement

Onkle wrote: »

TBH lad he didnt seem to be in moderating mode.

If he typed it like this I would have said nothing.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

In fairness he is being treated badly and the mods are at the head of the pack :)

You are so right. The last time that oul Wibbs chased him of the site. Cant ye give the man a break.

I actually contacted admin about that Bannon fellow. Why dont he like people getting motoring advice on a motoring forum. He obviously has some secret problem or has an intrest in some other car checking site..

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I found the thread very interesting and have never seen such a report although I have heard in many conversations of these checks. So in a public interest sort of way, mine has been served. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

This is one of the best threads on Motoring forum in ages. A real public service done by highlighting this issue. I cant understand why anyone would take issue with the OP???????????
    OP - can you provide reports on the other cars the seller has up for sale please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Anyone know what these guys do?

crime_prevention@garda.ie

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Anyone know what these guys do?

crime_prevention@garda.ie

Nothing unless your willing to go to the station and make a formal complaint and follow it up with a day in court

No issue with the Gardaí who generally do a good job but unless you are willing to follow through is little the can/will do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

a high class honda accord diesel, was probably on stellar miles...

motorway or the like, anyone who thought that was on 80k was a muppet!

as i said, common sense goes a long way.

Thats OK for me or you to say but it may appear ligit for a normal Joe Soap who knows f all about cars.

Who said that I have a problem?
    However, the OP was requested to contact the admins in the past regarding his use of the site to promote his business. I can safely assume that the admins have not made an agreement with them to post here given that their username has not turned red and bold!
    My role along with the mods is to ensure that all boards members follow the rules laid down. All members must follow them and whilst we generally turn the occasional blind eye to things this does not give the right to continuous free advertising.

However, my post last night was not made with a strict moderating hat on as I tend to leave the moderating here to the mods.
    I was seriously wondering though why someone who offers a service that looks up a car's history for items such as mileage should find the need to ask our opinion on something which is fairly obvious.
    It just so happens that their post was reported moments before I posted. I could have deleted the thread or taken various other forms of action but I didn't. I merely asked a question.

As for freighter's comment that I may have another vested interest, well, I don't and most people on here who have known me over the last seven years, know that!

Now lets leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He's got 3 cars for sale on donedeal in the last 4 days

It's Madden. He's back :eek:

He is only trying to help people here. Now if he came on last night and posted it as his first post I would agree but he has done several favours here for members. I watch this forum everyday and I have seen him give plenty of good advice. I definitley wouldnt call it shilling.

However you are the bosses so you make the decisions to delete the thread or ban him which ever.:)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    It's Madden. He's back

Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

]
    It just so happens that their post was reported moments before I posted. I could have deleted the thread or taken various other forms of action but I didn't. I merely asked a question.

Please forgive the ignorance but why could you have deleted the thread?

There's numerous posters in this forum who could be very interested in something along the lines of that Accord.

I don't understand what he's done wrong? He hasn't come in offering a two for one deal or anything like that. He's simply pointing out a clocked car.

Shane732 wrote: »
    Please forgive the ignorance but why could you have deleted the thread?

There's numerous posters in this forum who could be very interested in something along the lines of that Accord.

I don't understand what he's done wrong? He hasn't come in offering a two for one deal or anything like that. He's simply pointing out a clocked car.
    I've already explained myself so to quote myself...
    Now lets leave it there.

Corkie has he been discussed before here?

Anyone have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

I was seriously wondering though why someone who offers a service that looks up a car's history for items such as mileage should find the need to ask our opinion on something which is fairly obvious.

To be fair the obvious part is that the report seems to suggest that the car is being advertised with false mileage. The OP's post seeks opinions on this. My reading of this is that he is provoking debate on the issue in general as well as this specific car - there is nothing "obvious" about opinions!
    I think that the OP has raised an issue of huge public importance especially for the general public who might not be as aware of how "obvious" this looks for industry insiders!

Corkie has he been discussed before here?

Anyone have a link?

I dont know but Unkel must!:)

I dont know but Unkel must!:)

:o Quoted the wrong person :o

Are you serious ? Your only reason for reckoning it was clocked was because it was a high class diesel Accord :confused: You reckon that's common sense ? Jesus, and anyone who reckons a 2005 diesel Accord with a claimed 80K on it is genuine is a muppet ?

And in the same sentence you say "probably".

Profound.

And in the same sentence you say "probably".

Profound.

If Carlsberg clocked cars...;)

Shane732 wrote: »
    I don't understand what he's done wrong?

Nothing, but people don't like to be told their wrong ;)

And from looking at the thread it appears Motorcheck has warned us all of a dodgy car which is often times recommended on here

It also highlights that a seller with a poor record is back selling cars again.

Now if you or I posted the car and the seller and said they were bad the thread would be locked for slander or some other reason as we would have no evidence

And Kbannan you were asked a question on something you posted as a normal contributor and not a mod as it wasn't highlighted hence I see no problem with people questioning you on it and your reasoning for posting it

Also with all the 'thanks' in support of Motorcheck it would appear few have any issue with him or the free service he provides at times for the general public on here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement