Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clocked car? The evidence is pretty overwhelming....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Motorcheck has been very good to people on here & also very good in relation to the famous dangerous convertible mini doing free checks etc.
    Surely this is what boards is all about - but if the owners here have now gone so corporate that they are not happy with this, it really makes this site a poorer place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I dont know but Unkel must!:)
    It was a car dealership in Lucan that were caught (on here) several years ago and eventually forced to close down.
    The original thread was removed when the solicitors got in touch but the flow has been copied here...
    http://www.driver.ie/forum/archive/index.php/t-38310.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote: »
    Are you serious?

No was only messin' :D

Last I heard was he escaped to Poland...
    Car dealer in €1.33m loan case 'gone to Poland'

A CAR dealer and former client of struck-off solicitor Thomas Byrne, who is being pursued by National Irish Bank to repay a €1.33 million loan allegedly secured on undertakings given by Mr Byrne, appears to have gone to Poland, a judge was told yesterday.

Remarking that it appeared “the bird has flown”, Mr Justice Peter Kelly listed for Thursday proceedings by the bank against John Madden, Tandy’s Lane, Lucan, Co Dublin, and principal of John Madden Car Sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I can understand Kbannon's logic...... by pointing out that its a good idea to do a "Motorcheck" then by proxy he is advertising himself.

but to be fair to Motorcheck .... he has provided many people here with "free" checks , maybe its time the owners/motorcheck did some talking in order to resolve the issue.

its a benefit to motorcheck if he can find potential customers here and its of benefit to people looking for a motor to get a check done (I've never done a motorcheck .... then again... last time I purchased was 2004....might consider an upgrade next year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Really i see no issue with the thread and if moderators had an issue, it should be brought to the feedback thread rather that an on thread discussion that derails it from the original discussion.

It annoys me then that we are expected to "leave it there" when nothing should have been started in the first place as it's a non issue. Leave it with the admins if there is one.

Regarding the topic, that's a massive mileage discrepancy there and i hope it gets reported. It just shows that these history checks are a massive advantage when thinking of buying. I doubt the seller is innoncent here and would love to see the checks on the other 2 cars for sale.

Hopefully we see motorcheck back again soon although i can understand why he would stay way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭darby1

thanks motor check,

i notice it costs different amounts to get reports from the motor check website, the lowest being €8

how much does it cost to get the report that you did?

do you know if any of the reports indicate if a uk imported car was an ex fleet car?

many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Hi Guys,

TBH the original post wasn't intended as an any kind of ad per se. There's been plenty of discussion on boards in the past about clocked cars and when this example came into the office I thought it might be one worth sharing. Clocking tends to be overlooked as some kind of urban myth but we come across it every day (sorry if this is sounding like an ad again). Maybe I should have added it to the scam thread but that could have been seen as trying to advertise to all the people who post there....?

Could a mod could send me a PM outlining how they'd like me to share this information (assuming it's of value to the forum). As you guys know I'm not precious about sharing our service with boards members. Most people who visit the forum would have a good idea of what Motorcheck is about without my posting trivial stuff designed to 'advertise' what we're about.

I've been asked above to provide some reports for the other cars advertised by the seller. Will this be okay or should I wait for a mod to give me the thumbs up?

Here's a report for the Mercedes http://twitpic.com/3owbg0/full

& the BMW's here http://twitpic.com/3owc7x/full - It's showing up with a mileage discrepancy also so I'm going to check the readings on the national mileage register (www.inmr.ie) tomorrow to verify the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Hi Motorcheck, I'm a bit tied up at the minute but I'll have a chat with you via PM later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Motorcheck wrote: »
    Here's a report for the Mercedes http://twitpic.com/3owbg0/full

& the BMW's here http://twitpic.com/3owc7x/full - It's showing up with a mileage discrepancy also so I'm going to check the readings on the national mileage register (www.inmr.ie) tomorrow to verify the source.

'2 out of 3 aint bad'

peculiar that. possibly trying to keep the bmw under the 100k threshold to make it slightly more desirable. possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Dodgy clocker / dealer ........ clocking cars .. clearing cars. .. selling cars:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it allowable to record that dealers phone number on thread so that anyone that googles him in future will find this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mickdw wrote: »
    Is it allowable to record that dealers phone number on thread so that anyone that googles him in future will find this?

I actually contacted Donedeal but all they said was ring the guards..:rolleyes:

I rang the seller and he told me the car is sold..:eek::eek:

Too easy to change your mobile number these days.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mickdw wrote: »
    If the number is publicly available already and can be shown to be associated with a particular advert, then yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement