Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chinese in Galway?

Options
  • 09-01-2011 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I like curry house and golden rickshaw
    Wheres your favourite also where do you think is muck?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

The lads who work in Vivo are pretty sound

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

The lads who work in Vivo are pretty sound

Ya there a great bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

I used to like the one that was on Eyre Square, where Ed's Pizza used to be. Since then I've gone with the Golden Rickshaw and liked their stuff. Nothing amazing, but decent chinese take away.

The Thai/Chinese place down by the Spanish arch used to be good, but haven't been there in YEARS so no idea if it's still the same.

rivalius13 wrote: »
    I used to like the one that was on Eyre Square, where Ed's Pizza used to be. Since then I've gone with the Golden Rickshaw and liked their stuff. Nothing amazing, but decent chinese take away.

The Thai/Chinese place down by the Spanish arch used to be good, but haven't been there in YEARS so no idea if it's still the same.

Thai Garden its savage

eagle10 wrote: »
    Thai Garden its savage
    Must go back...what's it priced like? Last time I was there the 'rents paid, so I didn't care then. Although when I'm down there I'd probably end up going home with an Indian....

• Advertisement

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Must go back...what's it priced like? Last time I was there the 'rents paid, so I didn't care then. Although when I'm down there I'd probably end up going home with an Indian....
    Its pricey same price to sit in as it is to take away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

curry house for chinese, thai garden for thai food
    tamarind is nice too

pan thai was unreal, their chicken martabak with banana and mango chutney was just gorgeous!

have yet to try the asian tea house but I've heard good things about it

eagle10 wrote: »
    Its pricey same price to sit in as it is to take away
    I shall save it for a fancy day and get an Indian then.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Thai garden has an early bird menu that is great value less than 20 euro for 3 courses before 7.30 i think.

Asian Tea house is very nice. I ate in their recently and the menu is smaller than when they opened first but everything on it we tried, 4 people all got something different was lovely

If you want cheap the chilli Garden, above the Pucan, Does a buffet til 9 for 10.95 per person. Food is standard chinese take away, but the staff are nice and you can eat alot of food. Very nice egg fried rice the last time i was in there

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gratzi22

I think her name was Li or something:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Haven eaten in "Chinatowns" where chinese people eat in a few different countries it goes to show the difference between actual chinese food and what is available here. Asian Tea House is the only place that has come close, and it is pretty good in fairness though I haven't had take out.

Is there a decent Thai place in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

royal villa salthill is very good.

asian fusion oranmore is also excelent.

Haven eaten in "Chinatowns" where chinese people eat in a few different countries it goes to show the difference between actual chinese food and what is available here. Asian Tea House is the only place that has come close, and it is pretty good in fairness though I haven't had take out.

Is there a decent Thai place in Galway?
    Thai Garden is the only proper thai restaurant in Galway IMO
    You'll find chinese/thai menus like the place near centra in doughiska, yet when I asked if they did pad thai, the national dish of thailand, the girl looked at me like I had two heads and said no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I find the Royal Villa in Salthill pretty decent. I haven't tried a lot of the city's Chinese places tho. Nothing I've tried in Galway even comes close to the better Chinese places I've eaten in abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

royal villa and amber in barna

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Royal Villa run the place beside Supermacs Eyre Sq now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

King Ding in Westside is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

magentas wrote: »
    Thai Garden is the only proper thai restaurant in Galway IMO
    You'll find chinese/thai menus like the place near centra in doughiska, yet when I asked if they did pad thai, the national dish of thailand, the girl looked at me like I had two heads and said no!

I'm sorry but,I've been to Thai garden once and dont plan on going there again.I've been to Thailand a dozen times and know what proper Thai food taste like.My fav was Pantai,dont know where they're gone to now. Asian tea garden make a good pad thai and fried rice and tom yum.but if you're looking for a good red/green/yellow curry,nowhere in galway does them.I'm 99% sure most of them make curries and tomyum using bought in ready made paste
    Nowhere does proper Thai desserts as well like sticky rice pudding,coconut pudding etc.
    MattKid wrote: »
    King Ding in Westside is very good.

Mrs was just saying to me a few days ago that we should try that place.Anything on the menu you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

For a takeaway, Golden Mountains pretty good.

Only ever had a 3in1 (not technically chinese food) in Golden Rickshaw and is full of nyoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Thai Garden is very good,authentic food and staff are always very nice.
    It can be pricey but the food is good and decent portions.
    Know a lot of Thai who will recommend it as well and that is good enough for me.
    I have yet to find a decent Chinese takeaway all if my experiences have not been good,will che our some of the above suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 davidmcginty

the dang tang noodle house beside the dail bar is excellent ,fresh food and msg free would recommend it to anyone looking for authentic chinese food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

the dang tang noodle house beside the dail bar is excellent ,fresh food and msg free would recommend it to anyone looking for authentic chinese food!!
    +1
    Excellent restaurant. Good for Lunch and even better for dinner. Decent value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Yeah totally agree but can be slightly pricey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

yup. I lived in China for a few months, this is the closest to the real deal I've found around Galway. (admittedly, the only major difference is it's about 22 times the price as getting the same dishes in China)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When the €5 Just Eat thing was going I had food from Curry House and Golden Mountain, both good.
    Curry House is usually top 3 in these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Kings Court in Salthill are great and the staff are lovely & friendly.

Royla Villa's nice too!

I'm sorry but,I've been to Thai garden once and dont plan on going there again.I've been to Thailand a dozen times and know what proper Thai food taste like.My fav was Pantai,dont know where they're gone to now. Asian tea garden make a good pad thai and fried rice and tom yum.but if you're looking for a good red/green/yellow curry,nowhere in galway does them.I'm 99% sure most of them make curries and tomyum using bought in ready made paste
    Nowhere does proper Thai desserts as well like sticky rice pudding,coconut pudding etc.
    I've been to thailand a few times myself but Thai Garden have the best Thai food I've found in Ireland!

Of course it's not going to be exactly the same as what you would get in thailand, no more than chinese food here is doused with additives and preservatives and not like what you would get in china but TBH I don't think most Irish people would like "real" authentic thai or chinese food!

I completely agree about Panthai though, it was my favourite restaurant ever, god I miss it!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

China garden in wellpark

Panda in Mervue had some lovely stuff but someone told me it changed recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

China Garden in Wellpark here too! Panda in Mervue is now an indian/chinese. Some of the chefs there used to work in Kashmir. Haven't tried the Chinese food there but the Indian food is good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement