Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music practical, leaving cert- guitar

• 09-01-2011 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11 heyyjude

Hey guys :)

I've been playing guitar for nearly 3years now, but never got lessons so don't know how advanced I am.

Im playing the acoustic guitar for the music practical but i don't know what kind of songs to play? i'll be accompanying a singer.

My teacher doesn't really have any ideas, she just said to have a mixture of chords and picking.

The tunes that I can play at the moment which seem suitable are banana pancakes by jack johnson, and hey there delilah. I can learn new stuff pretty quickly and I would like to pick them out soon.

I need 4 contrasting songs :)

Hope you guys can help me, much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Dont ask why but I instantly thought of this song when I read your post. This version is top class and anything similar to it would go down extremely well! Even leave out the solo and go into a new song instead if you have to. Also its a little darker than your other two songs which gives a nice contrast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1sYc4owMwA

After that maybe go completely different. Maybe some jazz/blues or maybe even a classical piece? Even something like Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry might be something to look into? Thats just what came to my mind straight away. If I think of something else worthwhile I'll post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Have a good conversation with the singer about what he/she is comfortable singing too.

I sang for my leaving and a friend accompanied on acoustic guitar, just a suggestion:
    Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles
    Hallelujah I love her so - Ray Charles
    Can you feel the love tonight - Elton John
    She moved through the fair - Irish trad

That was considered pretty varied, that's 60's sort of rock, old style r&b, soundtrack and irish music, just to give you an idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 heyyjude

Thanks guys, I'll try to learn that song, i kinda know johnny B goode so that would be an idea!

As for the singer, I dont have one yet but i can get one of the Tys to sing for me so that shouldn't be a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Oh, you better get a singer quick then, and one you know will work! Even though they're not being graded, it does reflect on you if it doesn't work. Trust me, I know. My accompanist somehow managed to sprain his wrist playing guitar in the middle of my exam. I dunno how he managed it, and fair play he managed to keep going, but he stopped in the middle of a song because of that. I was marked down, not much, but a bit.

OP I would suggest you get lessons quick-smart if you've only been playing 3 years and ask the person giving you lessons if you're ok for LC standard :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Ktryan

Ok, I will be blunt, you need to get your act together fast!
    1. Find a guitar teacher who can help you up until the practical exam this week!
    2. I suggest one classical piece, one pop, one rock and one ballad/country
    3. If you are going to use a singer, organise them THIS week!
    4. You should have your pieces chosen by the end of the week after next and have scheduled regular rehearsals with your vocalist.
    With regards to song choice,
    • For a classical piece you could do something like "spanish study" or "lágrima" these can be done without a vocalist. (show off your technical skill)
    • Pop kinda style id go with Bannana pancakes because you know it (show off your rhythm and strumming ability)
    • Country/Ballad Maybe Fields of gold? or some johnny cash? (show off fingerstyle)
    • Cant give much advide on rock, but maybe something like beautiful day by U2. (strumming)
    Hope this helps,
    dont forget to practice for your sight test aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

Pretty sure for the Leaving Cert music practical you're not allowed/supposed to have a singer as accompaniment if you're playing an instrument?

Dannnnn wrote: »
    Pretty sure for the Leaving Cert music practical you're not allowed/supposed to have a singer as accompaniment if you're playing an instrument?

I thought so to, you will have to check the syllabus or get your teacher to email the superintendent?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

The likes of hey there delilah are to easy for the LC, the pieces will need to be grade 5 standard, have a look through either trinity guild hall or associated board grade 5 books and you'll find 4 pieces with different styles, get a move on now though cus your leaving it a bit late to be honest.

Just had a look at the syllabus there and it is not very clear, you could do it as part of a group, if you know people who will sing / play another instrument with you? as i suggested get your teacher to contact the superintendent asap otherwise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scoll

I played guitar for my Leaving Cert practical too. These were two of my songs:

Blackbird - The Beatles
    The Winner Takes it All - Abba

Jesus I only did it in 2009 and can't even remember the other two. One was Simon and Garfunkel, the other Nirvana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Hbo0cVoME&feature=related

Laisurg wrote: »
    The likes of hey there delilah are to easy for the LC, the pieces will need to be grade 5 standard, have a look through either trinity guild hall or associated board grade 5 books and you'll find 4 pieces with different styles, get a move on now though cus your leaving it a bit late to be honest.

because you are doing four and i presume music technology instead of 6 the they only have to be grade 2 standard, the standard for six pieces is grade 4. checking out the abrsm books is a great idea though. Laisurg is right, hey there delilah would be much too easy.

Thanks guys, this is helping me alot :)

I know its a bit late but there are only 4 of us in the music class and im the only one doing an instrument so i will get plenty of practice in!

i had a singer with me for the junior cert so i presume i can have one for the leaving cert?

Ktryan wrote: »
    Ok, I will be blunt, you need to get your act together fast!
    1. Find a guitar teacher who can help you up until the practical exam this week!
    2. I suggest one classical piece, one pop, one rock and one ballad/country
    3. If you are going to use a singer, organise them THIS week!
    4. You should have your pieces chosen by the end of the week after next and have scheduled regular rehearsals with your vocalist.
    With regards to song choice,
    • For a classical piece you could do something like "spanish study" or "lágrima" these can be done without a vocalist. (show off your technical skill)
    • Pop kinda style id go with Bannana pancakes because you know it (show off your rhythm and strumming ability)
    • Country/Ballad Maybe Fields of gold? or some johnny cash? (show off fingerstyle)
    • Cant give much advide on rock, but maybe something like beautiful day by U2. (strumming)
    Hope this helps,
    dont forget to practice for your sight test aswell!

This is excellent, thanks ktyran :)

What about Babe Im gonna Leave You by Led Zepplin? for the rock song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 plosh

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd is a pretty good choice its a pretty easy song and sounds really nice,
    Play at least one classical song (I'de recommend "Romance" because its the easiest piece I can think of)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056145901&highlight=leaving+cert+music+2011
    - Also can someone please pop over to my tread and answer my question (Link above), Im also doing music for the leaving cert.

Advertisement