Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First night shots with DSLR

• 09-01-2011 3:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

Was in town on Friday night collecting someone and even though it was lashing rain I couldnt resist to try get some snaps down around the docks.

Struggled a little with holding the umbrella and trying to operate the camera on a tripod so they are in no way perfect. There are loads of errors I am aware of as it was a very rushed affair. I was just excited to take some as I bought a DSLR off a friend and I'm eager to use it.

5337244996_c2ae72e106_z.jpg

5337238184_748b2e0761_z.jpg

5337233380_ddcf2b41ef_z.jpg

5334278455_cc58f7aa49_z.jpg

Cant wait to go back another time when it aint lashing rain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Like 2nd and 4th best. First is blurred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

3rd and 4th for me :)

Quite like the fourth shot. Like the blue lights in general. Nice look. Fair play. Can't beat a bit of impulse photography :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

They're a little shakey, and there's a lot of noise in the sky, but I like the blue lights hitting the wet ground. What settings did you use? Looks like your ISO was way too high for long exposures. And if you used a tripod, why the shakiness? You probably should have used the timer and maybe mirror lock up on top. You will get much sharper images that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

Love your photos, does lens matter when you are taking night photos? have Cannon 18-55, would it be more about the settings rather than the lens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The settings are more important than the lens for night shooting I would say. A solid tripod even more so! A remote shutter release is also a great idea.

For me, the most important thing when shooting longer exposures at night, apart from making sure the camera is dead steady, is keeping the ISO right down and the aperture fairly narrow [f/11+] You only need worry about the length of your exposure for lighting then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

Never tried night shots, but seeing above ones - quite cute - i am eager to try it out. thanks for the advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Thats pretty good for a first time go,

It does look like their must have been a bit of movement in the camera though, most notable in the first image. Personally i would always use a 2 sec timer when doing night photography. this way my hands are off the camera and not interfering with the image when the pic is taken. Try keep the tripod as low as you can, or at least extend it with the thicker legs first. helps eliminate wobble.

Other than that you've obviously done your homework, just need to perfect it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I like the third one best.

One thing; would it be possible to post the EXIF data? As a beginner I find it very helpful to see what settings people are using. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Nice photos, love 3rd. and 4th. best.
    Well done in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

good 1st effort. Camera shake noticeable in 1,2, & 4. As already advised, try f/11 or above, keeping ISO low. This will decrease shutter speed noticeably, but will give the required results.

I also tried night shots for the first time recently. All at f/22. See what you think.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Hey, well done! I like the 4th best, as many previous posters have said. The 3rd image has potential, but seems a little off-horizontal - something I'm sure to do myself!

Great idea - the lights reflecting off the surfaces is a great effect. Go for more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Advertisement