Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going without a bra.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Of course there's nothing wrong with not wearing a bra OP - if a gal has double Gs, she should be able to go bra-less if she wants to.

I'm a 30D - sounds large but because it's only 30, they still look small. Last few months I've had a pain in my ribcage that I've had x rays and ultrasounds done on (waiting on results) so I haven't been able to wear a bra at all. I have some vest tops with an extra layer inside that is elasticated just below the bust. I wear these all the time. I do still grab a hold of them if I want to run up the stairs though! But one day was meeting my best friend (who is also an ex) in town, I wore the vest top, it was so hot I had a hoodie on over but had it open, he took one look, and said (in the middle of Gamestop in Stephen's Green) "No bra this weather I see?" Could have clouted him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'm a 32AA and rarely wear a bra. I find them really uncomfortable, and like you OP, even when I get one properly fitted it never really fits well. Don't need the support really. It doesn't make me self conscious I think my boobs look great without one, boyfriend agrees! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just wondering why the nipples showing thing is a big issue for some and why that would be your only reason for going bra-less? It's not as if they are hidden by some bras anyway. Apart from the chafing issue of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I guess because people are paranoid about people staring at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I always wear one. I'd love to be able not to wear one!!!

If I'm at home and someone calls and I'm not wearing one I'd excuse myself and put one on!!!

I hate the feeling of not having one on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I do still grab a hold of them if I want to run up the stairs though!

Phone always rings when I'm in bed, my bf always laughs at me when I grab them to run and get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I rarely wear underwear in bed!

Or sometimes I'll wear only underwear. Guess that is a bit weird :P

I'm the exact same. :)

32C and I like to wear a bra during the day or if I'm around anyone at all - Simple because I'd feel somewhat naked without it on.

However in the summer I wear a lot of support camis or string tops without a bra. I think I get away with it because mine are fairly perky imo so I don't really need the bra for the shape, i just feel better with one.

If you feel you don't like bra's why not just get the stickers? La Senza sell really cheap ones. You should go for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I used to not wear a bra for a good few years, found them uncomfortable, and never really thought too much about it. But as time went on people made a lot of comments, about me being 'slutty' for not wearing a bra. I got embarrassed and started weraing a bra then, well I was only 19-20 so more prone to being bothered by what people thought!

Tbh, looking back, I'm a bit annoyed that I let people get to me about it, it's completely natural, why are we as society so uncomfortable with a womans nipples being noticeable through clothes.

Anyway, I've got used to wearing a bra now, and like the shape it gives me, but I woudln't wear one around the house, and it wouldn't bother me to go without the odd day, especially during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't understand many of the posts on this thread. The OP is barely an A-cup and wonders about the social acceptability of going braless ... and then we have page after page of very large-chested women chiming in about how they absolutely need to wear bras?! The A-cup woman is in a different situation wrt anatomy to the F-cup woman. They have completely different needs.

I think there's a growing attitude in society about bras. We dress toddler girls in bikini tops, which teaches them the female chest must be covered by at least two triangles of fabric long before actual breasts enter the equation. We encourage primary school girls to start wearing bras at the earliest sign of puberty, before they have anything to support. We market padded bras to small-chested women to give their bodies a more 'womanly' figure. We end up creating an atmosphere where the very word 'braless' has shades of 'half-naked', 'inappropriate', 'unprofessional', 'unfeminine' and even 'slutty'.

Much of this is driven not by necessity, comfort, or choice, but by marketers' desire to sell stuff. If clothing companies can convince people that we need to put bikini tops on toddlers, and bras on 9-year-olds, that's great for them because they're selling *something* rather than *nothing*.

Personally I think this pressure should be resisted. I am an AA cup and I wear bras only when needed. I wear them when my nipples will poke through thin fabric or when I don't want to risk getting caught in the rain in a white/yellow top with no bra. I'm aware that some tight black dresses can turn see-thru under a camera flash. And with some tops, you'll need a bra for coverage reasons - you don't want to bend over and let someone see all you've got. But most of the time you can get away without a bra, especially in the winter - most people are wearing layers anyway.

IMO the smaller chested woman should consider whether she really wants or needs to wear a bra all the time, and do what she is most comfortable with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

sam34 wrote: »
    i only wear knickers in bed if i've my period, otherwise i sleep naked

(unless i'm in someone's house)

same as myself, its good for you not to wear anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I used to be quite small, a B cup and happily went bra-less from time to time. I'm a D cup now though, so no, wouldn't go out without a bra. I dunno, just think a bra gives me a nicer shape in clothes and feels comfier. Never wear a bra to bed though, and if I'm just hanging around the house, wouldn't put one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I'm quite small, A-B cup, but I wear a bra all the time during the day - I don't wear one at all in bed. I have a couple of bikini-like sheer bras with no wiring but don't wear them much - between them and going bra-less I look like I have no chest whatsoever! I don't wear padded bras either (don't believe in false advertising!) but I like the shape a good bra gives.

Saying that, after a long day sometime I want to rip the thing off me (like in Fr Ted - 'take off your bra!'):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Can a bloke post in here? Without getting hammered?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Can a bloke post in here?

Provided you follow the rules outlined in the charter, yes.

• Advertisement

maple wrote: »
    Provided you follow the rules outlined in the charter, yes.

Done!

What I was going to say was that, personally, I like seeing a bit of cleavage.......just a little. Tastily done of course. Some girls look great without a bra, some don't(obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I love the free feeling of having no bra on! If i'm lounging around the house I'll never wear a bra. :D
    However, not if I was going somewhere or if I thought people would see me! :eek: I need the support. Whereas if I'm running up the stairs at home alone I can just grab a hold of them!!

I'll never understand people who sleep in bras though! I had to do it for a week and it was the most uncomfortable thing ever ever. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I know there have been a few topics on this...but I can't search for them because "bra" is such a short word :/

Do you see it as acceptable to go out in public without wearing a bra?.. (with other clothes covering your chest, obviously!)

I have a small chest (barely an A most of the time :/ ) and often don't wear a bra. Sometimes people have commented on it like if I just have a t-shirt on because of the er...nipple thing. But whatever I hate bras. And they never fit properly. Never, ever wear one around the house. Some of my friends even wear them in bed! I find this bizarre.

Er..discuss!

I don't think its 'unacceptable' to go about with no bra on. Though I think I'd find it a bit uncomfortable if I was having a conversation with a woman when her nipples were very obviously standing to attention =/

I'd love to be able to go without one, but I'm far to big and can't do without the support, and then theres the nipples thing again. If I was trying to hold a conversation with someone and I was the one standing to attention, I wouldn't be very comfortable with that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭raz86

I have to wear one (D/DD)! I'd love to be able to get away without it though. i find them quite uncomfortable at times, and i've always had rogue bras where the wire pops out and stabs me in the tit. always at work of course :rolleyes:

i dont wear one around the house or when i sleep though. is it true if you dont wear one pretty much all the time your boobs will sag faster without the support?

• Advertisement

if you can go without it then do! i think it's totally acceptable...except for someone with dirty pillows as big as mine. Going braless in my case would be a crime to humanity, not to mention very uncomfortable. I'd love to be able to go without a bra...and if anyone wishes to donate to my breast reduction fund, you will be helping me achieve my dreams :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

raz86 wrote: »
    i find them quite uncomfortable at times, and i've always had rogue bras where the wire pops out and stabs me in the tit. always at work of course :rolleyes:

I hate, hate, hate when this happens. It really hurts and you are stuck all day :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭raz86

^ i thought it was just my bad luck! :D

jujibee wrote: »
    I hate, hate, hate when this happens. It really hurts and you are stuck all day :o

it's like you've been stabbed! I was in a meeting and one popped out in the middle going straight into my chest bone. I actually had to stop and catch my breath. The pain and fright was awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    it's like you've been stabbed! I was in a meeting and one popped out in the middle going straight into my chest bone. I actually had to stop and catch my breath. The pain and fright was awful!

ouch! Yeah, I had on the slowly wore through over the course of the day and I ended up with a big cut on my cleavage. Luckily the bra soaked up the bleeding so I did not stain my shirt :rolleyes:

I like seeing a bit of cleavage.......just a little. Tastily done of course.
    Heh heh... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

wow, I think it's weird that you guys wear them even though you find them uncomfortable, hate them AND have put up with the occasional wire stabbing.

I on the other hand love how they feel - find them extremely comfortable. I'd be in pain without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I also start the alphabet and just find bras more comfortable if youre out and about and look better under clothes no matter how small you are most times. I look young enough anyway, I don't think anyone would take me seriously if my nipples were staring at them as well :P I never wear real padded bras though, looking bigger is of no interest to me. If I was just lazing about the house, no way I'd bother putting on a bra or I'd happily ahem nip out to the shop without one, they are too uncomfortable to wear in bed but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I But whatever I hate bras. And they never fit properly. Never, ever wear one around the house. Some of my friends even wear them in bed! I find this bizarre.

Er..discuss!

You are an A as you have said. I am an E. i have gone from a size 24 where i was an E to a 16 and im still an E .

Some people cant help their boob size and we HAVE to wear a bra to bed otherwise we lean on them during the night and it hurts. So have a little sympathy because we wear bras in bed for a reason.

I would never not wear a bra. Even in the house on my own,But thats just me. Maybe if i had small boobs i would around the house but never outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

people with small boobs have feeling too :(

and less cushion for the pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

You are an A as you have said. I am an E. i have gone from a size 24 where i was an E to a 16 and im still an E .

Some people cant help their boob size and we HAVE to wear a bra to bed otherwise we lean on them during the night and it hurts. So have a little sympathy because we wear bras in bed for a reason.

Woah. No need to get shouty! I'm sorry. I know what you mean I about the big boobs thing. Actually I made a thread about it a while back. (I swear I'm not boob-obsessed!) Mentioning in the first post that I can understand why those with larger chests sometimes wear bras in bed. What I meant to say is that I know people (with normal sized chests) who wear bras in bed because they think they have to.

And your status tag-line even says "bra" - kinda... :pac:

Yeah, in fairness I know you weren't putting down anyone Lia - I just know what u_c_thesecond means re the wearing it to bed thing.

It's strange - I do have big enough boobs but there are girls whose boobs are way bigger. I've two friends who are sisters and theirs are a H cup or something - and they don't always wear a bra. My back/arms hurt if I don't! Might be a cost-saving operation too though, as they can't even buy bras in the shops, they have to order them online! :eek:

Dudess wrote: »
    And your status tag-line even says "bra" - kinda... :pac:

Yeah, in fairness I know you weren't putting down anyone Lia - I just know what u_c_thesecond means re the wearing it to bed thing.

It's strange - I do have big enough boobs but there are girls whose boobs are way bigger. I've two friends who are sisters and theirs are a H cup or something - and they don't always wear a bra. My back/arms hurt if I don't! Might be a cost-saving operation too though, as they can't even buy bras in the shops, they have to order them online! :eek:

Sue Ellen's in newbridge sell up tp a JJ...tell you friends! (No i'm not associated with them in any way!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

jujibee wrote: »
    raz86 wrote: »
    rogue bras where the wire pops out and stabs me in the tit. always at work of course :rolleyes:

Can you not just pull the wire out at that point? Or do you end up lop-sided...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I got badly sunburnt two years ago and I had to go without a bra because it hurt so much. I thought I'd love it but I found it to be very uncomfortable, they bounced too much :D

Heh heh... :pac:

What's funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I love not wearing a bra, most days I do wear one though (34C) but there is nothing nicer than coming home and taking it off and slouching in pjs or trackies. I do leave the house without one from time to time - running to the supermarket, walking the dog etc.

I come from a family of women who either got whoppers or "disprins on an ironing board". My eldest sister is 42H and can never go without her "scaffolding", my second eldest sister is 32A and most of the time just wears a vest.

I love not wearing a bra, most days I do wear one though (34C) but there is nothing nicer than coming home and taking it off and slouching in pjs or trackies. I do leave the house without one from time to time - running to the supermarket, walking the dog etc.

I come from a family of women who either got whoppers or "disprins on an ironing board". My eldest sister is 42H and can never go without her "scaffolding", my second eldest sister is 32A and most of the time just wears a vest.

LOL

• Advertisement

What's funny?
    I'm assuming you meant "tastefully". "Tastily" would be more of a "bitty" thing... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ATMW

I'm a B or C cup, when I was in my twenties (I am in my late forties now) it was quite acceptable to be braless, provided it was not too obvious, and I never wore a bra. I am blessed with firm boobs so whilst you would have known I was braless if you looked hard enough, it was not that I was bouncing all over the place. I continued braless throughout my thirties, even so this was becoming less common, but now I feel that it has basically become socially unacceptable to go without so I have started wearing them again, especially at work where I come into contact with the public.

What amazes me is that when I was in my twenties I would not have dared worn tops that show the amount of cleavage that is commonplace today, but I know that most girls in their twenties would not go braless in public even if "absence of straps" was the only feature that would make you know that they were braless. Funnily enough, other than the comfort factor, absence of straps was one of the main reason I used not wear a bra, I know that there was the odd time that I gave a man (or woman for that matter!!) an eyeful when I leant forward, but it never did either of us any harm, and it seemed a small price to pay for not going around with bra-straps showing, but i don't think many youngsters today would feel that way.
    user_online.gifreport.gif quote.gif

I'm assuming you meant "tastefully". "Tastily" would be more of a "bitty" thing... :D

Oops.........lol yeah thats what I meant. :o

ATMW wrote: »
    Funnily enough, other than the comfort factor, absence of straps was one of the main reason I used not wear a bra,
    quote.gif

Not sure if i am breaking rules by quoting myself. As mentioned above, it does gall me when I meet girls and they are wearing tops which enable you to see a fair proportion of their bra. I remember last summer collecting a package from an office, it was a roasting hot day, and the 25-year-old-or-so girl that I collected it from was waring a brown summer dress and a BRIGHT BLUE bra, for which not only the straps were on view but half the cups and most of the back-strap as well.

When i was younger, say 30 years ago, if when you put on your summer top or dress your bra straps showed you either put on something else, or took off the bra. This meant that sometimes you wobbled a bit and sometimes you gave someone an eyeful if you leant forward, but oh the freedom and comfort.

When in these so called liberated days I see young girls who insist on wearing a bra no matter how warm it is, (given the recent weather it is hard to think that it gets that warm), or what they are wearing, I feel sorry for them. What do others think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I always wear a bra. The only time I don't wear one is when I am sleeping.

Tbh, I wouldn't feel comfortable going without a bra (I'm a 30B), I would feel as if people are staring etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Not sure if i am breaking rules by quoting myself. As mentioned above, it does gall me when I meet girls and they are wearing tops which enable you to see a fair proportion of their bra. I remember last summer collecting a package from an office, it was a roasting hot day, and the 25-year-old-or-so girl that I collected it from was waring a brown summer dress and a BRIGHT BLUE bra, for which not only the straps were on view but half the cups and most of the back-strap as well.

When i was younger, say 30 years ago, if when you put on your summer top or dress your bra straps showed you either put on something else, or took off the bra. This meant that sometimes you wobbled a bit and sometimes you gave someone an eyeful if you leant forward, but oh the freedom and comfort.

When in these so called liberated days I see young girls who insist on wearing a bra no matter how warm it is, (given the recent weather it is hard to think that it gets that warm), or what they are wearing, I feel sorry for them. What do others think?

Seeing a bra strap doesn't bother me. Seeing some of the cup does bother me if the person is wearing a too small bra for their size. Nothing worse than a woman with 4 boobs.

What I really hate is seeing a thong, whether it is just with low slung trousers or when somebody bends over and you get an eyeful of crackage.
    It's Vile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Tbh, I wouldn't feel comfortable going without a bra (I'm a 30B), I would feel as if people are staring etc.

This seems to be a common concern for women, it's posted repeatedly in this thread and is an interesting observation: speaking as a male, a woman not wearing a bra would not elicit MORE staring, except in exceptional circumstance.

Most men would not notice tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I'm a D cup and sometimes at the weekend if I'm just slobbing it and have to pop into town for groceries or other errands I'll go braless under a woolly jumper. I find it liberating as I spend all week strapped into my bra.

Also as other posters have said, certain dresses and tops actually fit and look better without a bra so on those occasions I'd also go without a bra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I would never not wear a bra. Even in the house on my own,But thats just me. Maybe if i had small boobs i would around the house but never outside.
    Woah! I think it completely depends on the person, the age and many other factors. But to each their own. I am also an E cup and I hate wearing a bra to bed. I would never ever do it, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had to recently for a week, most uncomfortable sleep ever. I always wear a bra otherwise unless i'm just lazing around the house, but that's a comfort thing rather than a "look at me, my boobs are free" thing!

Also I find sleeping on them so to speak quite comfortable!! :D

gbee wrote: »
    This seems to be a common concern for women, it's posted repeatedly in this thread and is an interesting observation: speaking as a male, a woman not wearing a bra would not elicit MORE staring, except in exceptional circumstance.

Most men would not notice tbh.

I suppose this is to a certain extent what my point is. I tend to think that now "a woman not wearing a bra would not elicit MORE staring" is not true in general. When I was 20 in 1980 it was not unusual to go without a bra especially in hot weather. I am not saying that men did not notice, but, especially for women like myself that have small-medium sized boobs it was no big deal. What would be a big deal would be if you displayed a large amount of cleavage, wore a top that revealed a large portion of your bra, or wore a skirt that came to more than an inch or two above your knee. The last three are all perfectly acceptable now, whereas going without a bra seems to be regarded as a definite no-no by many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

What is really wrong with seeing a bra strap? I'm not sure why you really dislike the idea of somebody seeing some strap or a cup, yet are blasé about somebody "getting an eyeful" if you lean over.

In one of my jobs (in a library), there was a woman that came in every so often who never wore a bra. It was a particularly warm summer so it was pretty obvious as she wore typical, light summer clothes. Every time she came to the desk she would lean over in front of me and I was given a serious eyeful. I'm not going to lie and say it irritated me or that I had any issues with it(I am a guy and boobs are cool :pac:), but I was just confused by the situation.

Plus some girls on nights out actually turn a bra into part of the outfit and it can look well when done right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement