Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New dog help

• 09-01-2011 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    New to the animal forum but this concerns my mams/lil brothers dog.

It is a miniature jack russell dog of about 3 months of age, but my mother who cannot train a dog to behave wants to keep it outside in the garden even though it is well below frozen out there because it keeps shítting and pissing in the house. And even after it is out she will bark for ages.

Is it wrong to keep such a young dog outside in the dublin weather? I just got home to here and knew the dog was outside so i let her in with the intentions of putting her back before my mam wakes.

What i am looking for is a solution to the barking and training because i dont know how to fix both or either.

Thanks for the help.

Dylan:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A 3 month old dog WILL piss and shit on the floor, until it's been trained.

We just used the newspaper method, keep it on the floor in the kitchen, moving it closer and closer to the back door. Also letting the dog out every hour or so, wether she wanted to or not she was going out for a few minutes.

As for the weather, it's in the minuses out there and you're ma is sticking a 3month old pup outside, damn right it's too cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

scudzilla wrote: »
    A 3 month old dog WILL piss and shit on the floor, until it's been trained.

We just used the newspaper method, keep it on the floor in the kitchen, moving it closer and closer to the back door. Also letting the dog out every hour or so, wether she wanted to or not she was going out for a few minutes.

As for the weather, it's in the minuses out there and you're ma is sticking a 3month old pup outside, damn right it's too cold.

What can I say? Keep that puppy inside and hope your mam will train it.
    If she hasnt the patience...she or your little brother shouldnt have a puppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Off course a dog will go to the toilet in the house it's warm and she doesn't know any better. A pup is not something you throw outside and hope she magically learns.

Firstly, she needs a word which means she has done something wrong. A sharp No! to tell her she done something wrong. When she goes inside, maybe stamp your feet and shout No!.

You need to bring her out every half an hour. When she goes toilet outside, reward her. Go nuts. Loads of praises and a treat.

Your pup is going to bark when left alone/outside. It's important to ignore the cries. But 3 months is way too young for her to be outside all day. Has she had all her boosters??

And everyone in the house has to help with the training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Is this the start of the christmas pets? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I crate trained my dogs from pups, as a toilet training method it really worked for me and a crate for a JRT wouldnt be that expensive either.

Totally agree with the others, far too cold for a JRT pup to be outside, my 3 terrier types get coats put on them when they go outside for a ramble and still are waiting at the back door to come in again! My hairy types don't care about minus weather at all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

No offence meant to you, you sound like your a decent person with your head screwed on, but your mother/lil bro sounds like they really shouldn't own a dog. Even if he has a basic little wooden kennel it's still way way too cold for a little 3 month old pup with short hair to be outside, especially at night. A pup is going to be anxious, upset and very bored outside on his own, he needs the company of his family. Keeping such a young pup outside on his own all the time is a recipe for disaster, when he's bored he's going to occupy himself how he sees fit, which means he will dig holes in the flower beds, chew things, try to escape, all of which will probably anger your mother even more.

If ye feel ye don't have the know how to train him yourselves then you could always bring him to a dog trainer who will train ye in how to train him. I hear great reports from Dog Training Ireland which is based in Dublin, http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/home.php Some great advice already given though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

:(
    No,a 3month old JRT should definitely not be outside in this weather. The solution is housebreaking, there are lots of sites with helpful guides, or check out talking to a trainer for advice.

Housebreaking is a process, she can't just kick the pup out because it didn't learn instantly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

A three month old pup should definitely not be outside in this weather. I have a terrier cross who is two and a half and after ten minutes in the garden, under my supervision while he sniffs and bops about and does his business, he's shivering and ready to come in. Nobody and nothing, regardless of species, should be out in this cold weather.

A three month old pup is only learning. Dogs poop and pee in the house at that age because they don't know any better and because they have tiny bladders. You bring them every time they're finished eating, every time you see them sniffing in corners, every time they wake up after a nap or after they've finished playing with a toy. Basically you bring them out a lot so that the message will get through. You can crate them when you're out of the house so that they don't do any damage, making sure to let them out before you go out and let them out again when you come home.
    It's all about repetition.

Can I ask, and I mean this in a rational way, I am in no way attacking anybody, I fully appreciate that you came here for advice, but what do you
    mean by your mum 'cannot train a dog'? Have ye had a dog before and it went pear shaped or is it that she doesn't have the time? Because a dog can be trained if you go into it with the right frame of mind and are committed to giving it the time and energy the dog needs to learn what you're teaching it. It's just that from my experience, if a pup is doing their business indoors, that's the owner's fault for not paying attention to their signals. The dog is just being a dog, it's up to us as their owners to teach them respect for their surroundings.

I'm afraid there are no easy solutions but that doesn't mean that training a pup can't be a hell of a lot of fun when you see them catching on to what you're telling them and seeing them develop.

Advertisement