Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icy roads

• 09-01-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Was walking around city late last night and noticed city centre roads were getting icy.

Didn't see any gritters.

Footpaths were certainly icy as slush was still on some places.
    Havn't been out yet today but if you are driving you may need to be extra careful. I would not assume roads are safe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Was driving out the M7 this morning, its lethal out there, suppose it would have been too much that the council would realise that rain yesterday plus freezing conditions would mean icy roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Had to drive out past Adare this morning and back in , was really bad , saw 4 cars gone off the road .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Came back from Cork last night after the rugby match, raods from Charleville to Limerick was dangerous, no great sign of griters being out either.

The closer to the city the worse the roads got and then having some guys almost coming in your back window because thay're speeding and don't realise the roads are so poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Limk_Lad

drove back from dublin last night, passed 3 gritting lorries all spreadding air, no salt or grit coming out of the chute at the back of the trucks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Driving around Parteen,corbally,mill road,ardnacrusha and westbury last night for 5 hours was an absolute nightmare,all i can say is,people please please tip your delivery driver as he put his life on the line just to bring you your food:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Rhebogue road was quite bad this morning near aldi. Helpful guy in a beamer slowed down to let oncoming traffic know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

drove from just outside Annacotty up to scarriff last night, and the roads were lethal, especially on the castleconnel to o briensbridge road. very bad, even though the temps were not way down.

Don't seem to be too bad today, but I'm not taking any chances seeing as I crashed during the last spell of cold weather....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Main roads fine this eve but local roads absolutely dire.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Footpaths along the Ennis Road are barely walkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I nearly landed on my back side more times last night than in all of the previous cold spells put together. I can't understand why not one of the roads were gritted. I saw loads of cars fish tailing and sliding. It was like a lottery trying to navigate roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Apparently the gritters weren't out last night (Saturday night) as it rained and this would have dispersed the salt/grit. Dont see how that would be possible really. It only rained a little.

Advertisement