Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarriff Community school

• 09-01-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Looking at moving to Scarriff.

Anyone know anything about the community school there. My 12 y.o. would need to transfer to 1st year there. ST. Anne's in Killaloe is full and she has been accepted in Newport school but that is a long drive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Did a brief stint of teaching practice there years back.

I was impressed with the kids and staff. There is a good community spirit in the area generally, and this was reflected in the school. I had nostalgia for my own youth in the 80s when there was more going on in the community and people would support stuff like sports, drama or whatever. The thing that makes Scarriff great is its distance from larger urban areas, but as you can guess - this is a double-edged sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for that.
    Daughter has already started there and is very happy.

I agree about Scarriff community, it's very pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

the principal there used teach me. he's a nice approachable man. was talking to him recently, was saying they have upgraded well in ict etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Looking at moving to Scarriff.

Anyone know anything about the community school there. My 12 y.o. would need to transfer to 1st year there. ST. Anne's in Killaloe is full and she has been accepted in Newport school but that is a long drive.

St. Annes in Killaloe can't be full - it's a community school and they have to take everyone who comes to their door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

St. Anne's Principle told me they were turning away people but to send my daughters details anyway. I emailed details and did not hear back from them. That was around Christmas time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

OK. There is a new principal in St. Annes, maybe she has changed the rules a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 freefone

Taceom wrote: »
    St. Annes in Killaloe can't be full - it's a community school and they have to take everyone who comes to their door.
    i would think the school is as big as it is, so if there are spaces for 400 (just number) pupils, then there arent for 401, its not like hospital where you can sleep in hall too :D

Advertisement