Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thoughts on camping in new zealand

Options
  • 09-01-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

hi ive approx 3 months left in my nz visa and a thought just struck me today that i could quit my job earlier and take a longer holiday if i decide to go camping around nz instead of staying in hostels everywhere. what do people think? The weather is pretty good for it recently and i already have a car bought.
    Anybody know what the difference in cost would be on average?
    anybody reccommend a good website for camping in nz?
    what would it be like for meeting people? prob not as good as hostels?
    any recommendations in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Its would cost absolutly f*** all. You can freedom camp in lots of places which is free. Look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I spent two months travelling NZ, camping for the most part. Went through snow and sun and was quite comfy! We had splashed out on a blowup mattress as well as a good ground sheet and decent quality sleeping bags so the extremes in temperatures didn't affect us more than wearing a pair of socks in bed(NZ lambswool of course!!) The country is made for camping, and for the most part facilities in camping grounds are basic but good. Invest in a cool box so you don't have to shop for fresh food every day, handy for drinks too. Most campsites are pretty cheap, it varies of course.

Its amazing to wake up to the sunshine in the morning in your tent!! If i recall any more I'll post again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

We camp all the time in the summer months, there are usually small family run campsites in each country town and DOC ones near most scenic areas or national parks. Generally $5-15 for a town campsite. DOC ones can be free if they have no facilities or $3-$20 if they have more services such as showers etc. Pay to the camp warden or by honesty box. Then you've got the big commercial holiday parks such as Top Ten that charge $10-20 for a site but you get access to swimming pools, games rooms, kitchens etc. They're more geared to the campervan crowd though and can be packed in summer.

We discovered this place in the coromandel last summer: http://www.opouterebeach.co.nz/
    Love it! Amazing beach 5 minutes walk from the campsite.

Edit: DOCs places to stay website

Advertisement