Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice required for hedging plants avoiding frost damage

Options
  • 09-01-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi we like so many have lost plants due to the snow/ice/frost conditions we have all just had.

I am looking for new plants to act as hedging,

would like it to :

reach max height 5 or 6 ft
    spread not more than 1 meter
    and not so not need pruning annually.

Unfortunately ground is not great (+++ stones)

We had 25 plants space 0.5 meters apart and lost 3 last year to frost and have lost all the others this year. So need to replace long line of hedging plants. A slow growing conifer is about the only plant that has survived.
    But we need faster growing to act as visual barrier in a few years.

So I would be grateful for advice for this novice gardener to know what to plant that might have a chance of survival.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Hi , don't know if you want an evergreen hedge or not, a beech hedge is great a bit slow to get going but as hardy as hell and only needs a clip once a year and holds onto its coppery leaves all winter its great for a bit of a change with the seasons as opposed to a green wall of conifers. holly would be a good evergreen alterative although very slow growing but an advantage for less clipping , you could alternate green with variagated ones , berries for birdies:), hope this helps. Out of intrest what had you planted? was it griselinia?(cant spell:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

:o I don't know the name of the plants we had planted (whoops, shows how bad a gardener I really am!!!) It was a bush that had verigated leaves and was a slow grower, we were told a foot every 3 years, but would stop at about 5ft tall. Well, they are not going to be replaced with the same variety that is for sure.

Beech sounds good, I was trying to avoid looking out on a wall of conifers, I do like a bit of variety in colour. We planted a (very small!) holly bush further along the fenceline, and it has grown about 1cm in 3 years..... a little too slow for my hedging.

Would you know of any fast-growing bush/trees that are self-limiting in height and spread???? maybe something to plant inbetween the slower growing plants to start with?:)

Advertisement