Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XFX 6950 HD 2GB question!

Options
  • 09-01-2011 11:32am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads just seen this over on bargain alerts http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056138739

My current spec is Q6600,4gb DDR2,ati 4870 1 gb,2X500 gig samsung spinsoft HD,Seasonic M12 700W PSU.
    Currently plays everything i throw at it perfectly but looking at these benchmarks it seems to be a pretty hefty performer and a lot faster than my 4870.
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?cpu=Radeon+HD+6950

While ive no problems running latest games @ 1920X1080 @ max settings it does seem a cracking deal for a good upgrade, i just wanted to run it by the usual suspects here before i order :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Whats even nicer is the fact that You can flash them to a 6970 :D
    http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Dcully wrote: »
    While ive no problems running latest games @ 1920X1080 @ max settings it does seem a cracking deal for a good upgrade, i just wanted to run it by the usual suspects here before i order :)

I just ordered x2 from komplett: one for me and one for a mate. (both upgrading form 4870 512mbs)
    I have similar specs to yourself so I will tell you how I get on in 3-4 days ;)

€255 is a very good price point for the 6950 as it beats the 6870 at around the same price and will match a 5870 but with better future tessellation performance (granted by the time anyone is using this feature properly we will all be another gen or two of card....)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

But which 6950 is best? XFX, MSI, ASUS....or are they all similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

jme2010 wrote: »
    But which 6950 is best? XFX, MSI, ASUS....or are they all similar?

The card itself will be the same reference board for all atm.
    Warranties and freebies in the box for each is another story.

The fancy versions with better coolers etc are not out as of yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I went with the XFX version from scan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do Xfx still offer lifetime warranties on all their cards, they used to?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Do Xfx still offer lifetime warranties on all their cards, they used to?

I think it only applies to North America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

I don't think so pog, im pretty sure its 2 yeard in Ireland/UK , but manufacturers offer different warranty lenghts in different markets. The card is a bit of a bargain at 225 to be honest, i picked up 2 of them a few weeks back to upgrade my 5870's.. Bit dissapointed with the performance, as ive seen hardly any increase in framerate.

I don't think so pog, im pretty sure its 2 yeard in Ireland/UK , but manufacturers offer different warranty lenghts in different markets. The card is a bit of a bargain at 225 to be honest, i picked up 2 of them a few weeks back to upgrade my 5870's.. Bit dissapointed with the performance, as ive seen hardly any increase in framerate.

Hi Ryan and reviews and benchmarks ive seen suggest its not a huge upgrade from 5870s but should be for those of us with 4870s.

Good comparison graph here
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?cpu=Radeon+HD+6950

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

i picked up 2 of them a few weeks back to upgrade my 5870's.. Bit dissapointed with the performance, as ive seen hardly any increase in framerate.
    Would it have anything to do with scaling and/or the games you're playing? Some games don't play well with dual GPUs.

• Advertisement

Could be, mainly play black ops and sc2 these days. Sc2 runs fine, it even does on my htpc in the living room. Cant really complain about black ops either its still never below 100fps at 1920*1080. I guess i was just expecting a bit more of a boost to be honest. But im glad they run a bit quieter and cooler then the 5870's. Slight improvement in benchmarks, but im thinking the cpu i have is holding me back at this stage.

Just installed my new 6950 and seeing a very nice performance boost.
    Its a lot quieter than my old 4870 too.

One strange thing however is i booted up the pc just now after been in sleep mode for a few hours and it sounded like a hoover, it was insanely loud, ive never heard a pc like it so i forced a shut down for fear of damage.
    Rebooted and all is fine, played some fps games for a while earlier and it was whisper quiet.
    Any reason for this insane noise after soming out of sleep mode?
    It was definitely fans but im at a loss as to why.

Ill put it into sleep mode now and come back later to see if it does the same, just thought id post here in meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Just installed my new 6950 and seeing a very nice performance boost.
    Its a lot quieter than my old 4870 too.

One strange thing however is i booted up the pc just now after been in sleep mode for a few hours and it sounded like a hoover, it was insanely loud, ive never heard a pc like it so i forced a shut down for fear of damage.
    Rebooted and all is fine, played some fps games for a while earlier and it was whisper quiet.
    Any reason for this insane noise after soming out of sleep mode?
    It was definitely fans but im at a loss as to why.

Ill put it into sleep mode now and come back later to see if it does the same, just thought id post here in meantime.

Sounds like a driver bug to me.

I had that happen a couple of times with my 5850 that the fan would spin at 100%,it sounds scary :eek:
    I'm watercooled now so i cant say if the problem ever went away with a driver update or not but i'd try that.

Im running latest drivers 10.12.

Did the 100% fan speed stop after a while or require a reboot?

Yeah its a driver bug, i get it all the time. If you want you can just go into the CCC and set the fan to manual, then to automatic and it should sort its self out instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

If your using catalyst to control the fan speed it could have something to do with it?
    When I boot up my fans (5850) are at default 55% until catalyst loads up and takes over.

Yeah its a driver bug, i get it all the time. If you want you can just go into the CCC and set the fan to manual, then to automatic and it should sort its self out instantly.

Just tried this, when i set to manual i could hear the fans speed up then slow back down after going back to automatic, hope that sorts it, thanks Ryan.

Glad it works, im not sure if its actually a driver to be honest. Could be something to do with the OS's WMI. Maybe a driver upgrade won't sort it, could be at the OS level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Im running latest drivers 10.12.

Did the 100% fan speed stop after a while or require a reboot?

The fan rpms where always higher than normal during post until the drivers kicked in but a few times they where much much higher (presume 100%) but they did stop after a few seconds after windows loaded up fully.

It was a while back so not sure what drivers i was using at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

fan control for the 69x0 series is apparently now part of the driver, as you cant use e.g. RBE to flash fan profiles now for these cards. I get the same thing which i never had with my old 5850, i.e. fan on full until mid windows load until it goes on auto

• Advertisement

Ok this happened once more since guys.
    I waited to see if it would stop when fully booted up but it never booted it up, it just sat there with gfx card fan @ 100% and windows didnt load.
    It took a forced shutdown to reboot back to normal.
    Once up and running all is well, any ideas lads?

Whats your full system specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Ok this happened once more since guys.
    I waited to see if it would stop when fully booted up but it never booted it up, it just sat there with gfx card fan @ 100% and windows didnt load.
    It took a forced shutdown to reboot back to normal.
    Once up and running all is well, any ideas lads?

I had this issue on a Sapphire 4890 in the past, it would happen while the computer was turned on, the graphics card fan would spin to 100% and the PC would lock up, nothing but a forced shutdown would stop it also.

Returned the card for an Nvidia one and the problem went away

The only thing i can think of that would do this is an unstable supply from the PSU. But it could also be down to the card too. If possible, can i have the bios revision too, we have a list here which the RMA techs keep with a list of any issues they have noted between certain hardware and certain motherboard bios versions.

Advertisement