Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sepultura Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 09-01-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

There's been a lot of talk about them here recently for a number of reasons, but in the end, Sepultura are a band that create controversy wherever they go.

For starters, many will argue Sepultura ended in December 1996, when Max Cavalera decided (for reasons still unknown) to leave the group he had helped found in 1984 with his brother Igor. Max on guitar, Igor on drums, the band recruited vocalist Wagner Lamounier and bassist Paulo Jr. before planning their first EP - Bestial Devastation - released in 1985. Of course, by this time Max had switched to vocals, providing extra guitars to their lead Jairo "Tormentor" Guedz

The band's full length début came in 1986, entitled Morbid Visions, and by 1987 Guedz decided he wanted something musically different, replaced by Andreas Kisser and thus forming the classic line up that would perform together for the next decade.

Schizophrenia in 1987 established their turn from Black Metal to a more Thrash orientated sound and from then until 1996 this band rose with such power that many predicted they would replace Metallica at the top of the pecking order. A lucrative contract with the up and coming Roadrunner Records label saw the band release Beneath the Remains (1989) and Arise (1991) in the same time frame as breakthrough albums from Metallica

Arise provided to be their most celebrated album, the band performed 220 shows in support of the album, with it's successor's Chaos AD (1993) and Roots (1996) proving this band had so much more left to give.

Following their split with Max the band recruited vocalist Derrick Green and continued to tour to the surprise of many. Against (1998) was given a positive response, although it was clear their was a change needed still, and in 2001 Sepultura left Roadrunner shortly after their album Nation was released due to complaints by the band it was not properly promoted.

Roorback (2003), Dante XXI (2006) and A-Lex (2009) never slowed down the Sepultura train, although Igor Cavalera - perhaps in an effort to make things up with his brother - left the band he had helped found in 2006 and later formed Cavalera Conspiracy. Replaced with Jean Dolabella, the new band soldiered on, touring extensively throughout 2010 to celebrate the band's 25 year existence and planning a new studio album - currently being recorded - for release in 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Everything up to and including Arise is deadly. Schizophrenia being the highlight... some unforgettable riffs on that album. Morbid Visions is one of my favourite primitive death metal albums.

The rest is muck, to be honest. Chaos AD had its moments I suppose. Used to give Roots a chance when I was 16/17 but havent gone near it since, and that was quite a while ago. The whole Cavalera Conspiracy/reunion rumour soap opera is also a load of blabbermouth metal hammer grade toss.

Good that they gave some exposure to Cogumelo records though. Otherwise we'd never have the reissues of Vulcano, Sextrash, Expulser, Sarcofago, etc. etc...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Great band, I'd have loved to see them when Max and Igor were still in it though. Still, Derrick is a pretty strong replacement, I think he's done quite well. I liked A-Lex, not their best but was still enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Good Thread!

Sepultura is the reason I got into Metal, When I heard Arise back in the day, just blew me away. Beneath the remains is so under rated such an amazing album, Songs Like "stronger than hate" with John Tardy from Obituary backing vocals....Sweet!!!

Still listen to Schizophrenia on a weekly basis absoultely love that album and the fact that they could barely speak english, they did an amazing job.

Actually love chaos and roots (not as much as the earlier stuff), but sepultura's history comes to and end at Roots for me, Really have no interest in the new Sepultura, although they did make an effort with A-Lex, I just cannot get used to Derek Greens Vocals!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Was a massive fan of Sepultura back in the late 80s and early 90s. "Beneath the Remains" was the first record that I heard of theirs when it came out and I listened to it to death. That got me intersted in their back catalogue and really like Scizophrenia (From the past... is a great song). Arise on it's release was massive here and I loved it and went to see the band in the SFX on that tour where I met them and had a beer with Paolo, Andreas' English was poor though and Max ignored us but still!
    Chaos AD was a departure and integrated a groove into the thrash elements that they were renowned for. It to me was hit and miss but still a decent record. It was at this stage and with the subsequent Roots that the whole Sepultribe nonsnese put me off the band, they seemed to believe they were some kind of cult or something. the pisspoor Roots was full of this extravagance and dragging in tribal drummers on stage just aliented me more. Sepultura had turned into a pantomime act. Even a listen to the live album "Under a pale grey sky" has the band chopping and changing songs - if you play a song play it right. The writing was on the wall for the band and after the egomaniac left the band went back to basics with "Against". Not the greatest record but still it was better than Roots.
    Since Max left I regard Sepultura as a new band and some of their recent albums from Roorback on are good metal records.
    Classic Sepultura for me was "Beneath the Remains" (their greatest achievement) and "Arise".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

good old gutteral agit-milit thrash. no elves or sorcery here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

many will argue Sepultura ended in December 1996, when Max Cavalera decided (for reasons still unknown) to leave the group he had helped found in 1984 with his brother Igor.
    I thought it was down to the fact that the rest of the band decided they didn't want his wife as their manager any more? Their timing wasn't great as her son had been murdered around the same time and so Max had to choose a side. Once he had sided with his wife there probably wasn't much alternative but to leave the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice_ wrote: »
    I thought it was down to the fact that the rest of the band decided they didn't want his wife as their manager any more?

That's one possibility but it's never been officially documented nor spoken about by any connected parties so it's not something I could say was definitive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That's one possibility but it's never been officially documented nor spoken about by any connected parties so it's not something I could say was definitive
    It's never been denied by anyone either and it's the only version of events that I've ever heard so it's plausible enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice_ wrote: »
    It's never been denied by anyone either and it's the only version of events that I've ever heard so it's plausible enough for me.

Of course, I just didn't want to print false information so I couldn't say either way - but you're probably right

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

"Beneath The Remains" nothing else.

• Advertisement

"Beneath The Remains" nothing else.
    I bought that when i was 14 not knowing much about them, still one of the best purchases i have ever made!

the management issues mentioned caused the rift alright.. that's what was doing the rounds at the time anyhow

i'll break down my opinion of their main stuff:

Beneath the Remains is a masterpiece. Andreas' guitar is a thing of beauty in particular.. sort of like listenin to virtuoso classical flamenco but er, actually its thrash with angry / morbid themes. if only its predecessors were this well produced

Arise can fúck off. sorry for the ignorance.. blame the production maybe?! didn't sound right :/ some ok bits n bobs

Chaos AD was quite a package, took a type of anarcho/crust metal approach at their commercial peak with Amebix n Discharge clearly an inspiration. covering NMA's The Hunt was sweet; inspired choice - n Amen. pretty much all of it, well paced album in its entirety kinda prompting a revolt but also a spiritual discipline a better representation of the sepultribe concept that failed em on Roots. n Andreas' guitar was fúckn sick on there. album still holds up as a formidable weapon in the field of modern warfare it doesn't sound dated whatsoever.. metal was better armed back then anyhow :/ i loved that digipack to death.

Roots was a cool concept but i'll leave it there. was brimming with ideas in every department but their own input. spent. ratamahatta was alright. mainly due to the efforts of a local indigenous tribe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

They should be in the "Big 4" IMO. Their stuff (<roots) pi$$es all over Anthrax by comparison.

live versions from that barca show offered a better representation of an album i wasn't quite feeling. which sounded compressed or something.. and somewhat formulaic material

video above is fairly funny from 4:30

Advertisement