Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty Points

• 09-01-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Im not sure if im posting this in the correct place so apologies if that is the case.I was stopped by a garda on motorway yesterday for speeding.Ive no issue with the fine or the points but he didnt give me anything in terms of paperwork,instead he took my details in his little notebook and jumped back in his car to make more money...sorry i mean save lives.My question is did he follow correct procedure in issuing fine &points??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Seems so. You don't get a ticket or any paperwork at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

yea the police force in this country is so far back it's hard to believe, in the north you would get a copy of what he wrote, which includes who stopped you, why, who there superior was that day, where he stopped you etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's normal. You don't get any paperwork at the side of the road.

You'll get details in the post in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

mickob16 wrote: »
    Im not sure if im posting this in the correct place so apologies if that is the case.I was stopped by a garda on motorway yesterday for speeding.Ive no issue with the fine or the points but he didnt give me anything in terms of paperwork,instead he took my details in his little notebook and jumped back in his car to make more money...sorry i mean save lives.My question is did he follow correct procedure in issuing fine &points??

Lol, so true :D. You dont get any paperwork until it comes in the post. Could take a few weeks or so and on it, you will get the details on how to produce the revenue pay the fine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mickob16 wrote: »
    The Gardai went digital a while back and the entire process is automated so unless he wasn't wearing his hat then take the punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

kbannon wrote: »
    The Gardai went digital a while back and the entire process is automated so unless he wasn't wearing his hat then take the punishment.

OT but does the hat thing seriously work or is that just bar stool talk? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I would love to know where the OP was caught. I keep to 140 on the M8/M7 and often passed the boys. He must have been heading for 160.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 urtooky

On the subject of points ......

I was caught holding my mobile phone while driving at start of october. I didn't have my licence or anything on me so was asked to drop them to local station. I did that and haven't heard anything since!

Am i in the clear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I also got pulled over for speeding last october long weekend and never got any notice in the post yet............is it gone to long now? or murphys law it will be dropped in the hall in the morning:o

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I would love to know where the OP was caught. I keep to 140 on the M8/M7 and often passed the boys. He must have been heading for 160.:)

I saw them pulled up the slip road around 10 to 4 this evening just outside Portlaoise as I was heading to Dublin.

My only thought was poor fecker whoever gets pulled

• Advertisement

johnos1984 wrote: »
    OT but does the hat thing seriously work or is that just bar stool talk? :confused:
    Complete bar stool talk!
    urtooky wrote: »
    On the subject of points ......

I was caught holding my mobile phone at start of october. I didn't have my licence or anything on me so was asked to drop them to local station. I did that and haven't heard anything since!

Am i in the clear?
    Probably but people have been summonsed after a period of time for not presenting so you never know.

I saw them pulled up the slip road around 10 to 4 this evening just outside Portlaoise as I was heading to Dublin.

I can recall gardai conducting speed traps on that motorway about 15-20 years ago. They were hiding behind one of the bridges - in the central median!

I always slacken it back around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 urtooky

Did you ever meet the Traffic car around Thurles? He stays bang on 120( gps calcated - I never trust the speedo) and naps you if you pass him.

I always slacken it back around there.

As do I ;)

urtooky wrote: »
    Did you ever meet the Traffic car around Thurles? He stays bang on 120( gps calcated - I never trust the speedo) and naps you if you pass him.

:eek: I have passed the unmarked Focus around Urlingford several times. Someone told me there is a traffic guy in Thurles that moved from Limerick. He is supposed to be lethal. They call him Robocop. Supposed to be lethal so you must be right.

:eek: I have passed the unmarked Focus around Urlingford several times. Someone told me there is a traffic guy in Thurles that moved from Limerick. He is supposed to be lethal. They call him Robocop. Supposed to be lethal so you must be right.
    There is a "Robocop" in every district and has been for years. Its an urban myth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Robocop,did me for running an amber light 3/4 years ago in Limerick.What a ****er

There is a "Robocop" in every district and has been for years. Its an urban myth!

I suppose or as Johnos said `Bar stool talk`..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I suppose or as Johnos said `Bar stool talk`..:)

He exists,it's not just a myth

• Advertisement

He exists,it's not just a myth
    Fair enough. However, given the number of times he has been transferred from district to district over his career, I'm not surprised how pissed off he is with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Its true HE does exist.He used to be in Tramore on a bike and the ****er would hide in the shrubbery on roundabouts catching people in a 50km/ph zone.He got transferred to Portlaw until they ran him out.Legend has it he wanders lonely roads with this speed gun!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I know the robocop your talking about. He would sting his own mother if her motor tax was of out date. Is he around limerick still?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Im the one in my Division......but there is only one true Robocop.....he was in Limerick and now he's in Thurles......known throughout our job.

A real nice guy.....once your 100% right (im even scared of him......)

Fair enough. However, given the number of times he has been transferred from district to district over his career, I'm not surprised how pissed off he is with everyone.

Actually hes quite liked...in fact loved by management. All his transfers (all three) were requested for getting closer home or for positions.

Actually hes quite liked...in fact loved by management. All his transfers (all three) were requested for getting closer home or for positions.

I remember years ago Nenagh had a cop like that (not the infamous one) but a young red haired guy.

It was funny watching him setup a road block directly outside the station in Banba square catching auld fella not wearing the seat belt.

Having said that from what I understand he was neither of the things you say above and got shifted to Donegal

I was talkin to a truck driver and he said every trucker is afraid of him. Its bad if NGA is afraid of him..:D

I was talkin to a truck driver and he said every trucker is afraid of him. Its bad if NGA is afraid of him..:D

In fairness to him he cleaned up road transport in limerick fairly quickly.....now the truckers themselves ring him if another one is not complying.

Anyway....better not go too far off topic....would hate to be infracted!!:o

Advertisement