Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

checking for dampness when viewing campers

• 09-01-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first camper on a budget 5-8k..

I'm not sure of th best way to check for dampness. I viewed a t25 last week and it seemed to suit my needs but it was wet underneath the cusion at the rear that covers the engine. there was also a lot of condensation in the wardrobe at the rear (beads of water).

The owner was keen to point out that it had been covered in snow for 10 days and that it was condensation.

I have my doubts, what's the best way to determine if it's condensation or leaks?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cndensation is a given in campers, problem with most of the older conversions is that they used fibreglass insulation which holds the condensation like a sponge leading to extensive rust. I I was buying one I'd insist on taking out the fridge to inspect whats behind.

I would advise against buying a t25 unless you are a competent mechanic and a decent welder.

The vw community is great like a big family and people are very quick to help out but the thing is you WILL need help. Gearboxes are like butter, seams, arches, drive and passenger steps, rear pillars, sliding door track all very prone to perforation.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Hi & thanks for the reply..

Good tip on pulling out the fridge.

Agreed a 25yr old camper will need attention but the engines should be quite simple & inexpensive for a mechanic to work on , right? But, Are there any other campers in my budget range less prone to mechanical trouble or rust?

I've seen a few fiat ducatos for sale, how do these compare?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Ducato is a grand simple machine , we have a 93 ne there in your budget , with no rust . Not long since the timing belt and a service was done either .

Where's here? Do you have a link?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Yes T25s can be a lot of work. I'm in the middle of restoring a 1984 T25...lots of cutting and welding...LOTS. Condensation is what kills them from the inside out. Rust starts to form along the seams between the panels, from the inside because there was no seam sealer applied at the factory inside the van...only outside.
    Check out my resto, it will give you some idea of the rust potential.
    http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=72888&start=0&sid=c32964a84640f1e8b7b7257a85239f85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

GG66 wrote: »
    the engines should be quite simple & inexpensive for a mechanic to work on , right?

Engines yes the diesels are bulletproof as well as some of the aircooled ones - if its watercooled you can fit a huge variety of golf/jetta/vento engines into it.

As its rear engined the gearbox runs in reverse so you're basically stuck with that type of gearbox and getting it rebuilt. At 25 years you can bank on most of the rubber perishing, lots of rust and thing wearing out. You will be fixing it regularly and without a PROPERLY rebuilt gearbox I wouldn't trust it to travel around europe or further afield.

The ducatos are pretty good - 2.5 diesel is very long lived and the gearboxes are reliable once they are overfilled with oil to protect the 5th gear (see ducato forum) some older gearboxes suffered from water ingress so check whatever model you are looking at.
    They obviously rust too but its usually not structural and confined to the sills. Do check in the area under the battery tray I have seen several damaged by boiling batteries.
    If I was buying a ducato though I'd try to get a 1994-2002 model as they are readily available for parts.
    In contrast to the t25 I wouldn't be worried about breaking down in europe with a ducato, parts are readily available.
    If your looking at one make sure that all the gears change fine especially second and fifth and that there are no strange noises from the gearbox. Besides the gearbox common problems in the ducato are simple things like clutch cable older models, strut bearings, forward bush on the wishbone, immobiliser solenoid in the pump, all straightforward and cheap to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

GG66 wrote: »
    hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first camper on a budget 5-8k..

I'm not sure of th best way to check for dampness. I viewed a t25 last week and it seemed to suit my needs but it was wet underneath the cusion at the rear that covers the engine. there was also a lot of condensation in the wardrobe at the rear (beads of water).

The owner was keen to point out that it had been covered in snow for 10 days and that it was condensation.

I have my doubts, what's the best way to determine if it's condensation or leaks?

thanks

You should have a look on gumtree.ie, there is one nice looking 2001 citron for 8800, not mine and don't know the owner but it looks good value

Aidan_M_M , thanks for the link

Boatbuilder, fair play to you taking on a project like that & thanks for the tip. I've a 1984 scirocco storm & that's my project. Really not prepared to take on another one. hard to get time for what I have..

Paddyp, thanks for taking the time to provide the advice. It's beginning to sound l ike the ducato may be a wiser option.

I spooted the citreon on gumtree spacehopper. Seems like to good price but a tad cramped looking for me.

No ones's mentioned Ford Transits or Talbot's , are these a no go? Have to say, I like the look of and layout of this one http://www.usedcarsni.com/56210629

BTW, any of you know someone in Dublin who would take a look over something like this http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/48/69945648.html

Preferably a mechanic with a knowledge of vw campers, willing to pay ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Post a message on the forums at type2ireland.org and I'm sure someone will help.

Just a note on that camper...looks like it was a converted panel van. You can tell by the window rubbers on the side windows that stick out. Some better camper conversions were done using a T25 caravelle as the base model, meaning it has proper window seals that don't leak and cause rust.
    I think around 1986 VW improved the rust treatments on their vehicles so at least the rust will be less than an earlier model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The text is in German, so not much help, but some of these pictures show the weak points of these vans as far as bodywork is concerned ...have a looksee

http://www.fivebanger.de/kaufberatung_vwbust3_bilder.php?menu=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aidan_M_M wrote: »

Is not trade advertising within threads, against the rules of this site, :confused::confused:

Thanks for the tips everyone...

In case anyone else finds this thread, I found this site useful, gives the full history of VW t25/T3

http://www.westfaliat3.info/index.html

& this gives an A-Z of what to look for
    http://www.vwcamperguide.com/html/vw_t3_buyers_guide.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Is not trade advertising within threads, against the rules of this site, :confused::confused:

It's an Orwellian thing. We are all equal but some are more equal than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

niloc1951 wrote: »
    T650 wrote: »
    It's an Orwellian thing. We are all equal but some are more equal than others.

In this particular case it's give and take in a manner that profits the forum much more than it harms it.

Back on topic please

Advertisement