Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Exams

Options
  • 09-01-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm a med student. We just finished our christmas exams and I feel like I could have failed one or two. It's not like I didn't do the work, it just didn't go well on the day.

There is a lot of pressure on med students to do well. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on their experiences on bad exams.

Dt :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

DeadlyTwig wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I'm a med student. We just finished our christmas exams and I feel like I could have failed one or two. It's not like I didn't do the work, it just didn't go well on the day.

There is a lot of pressure on med students to do well. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on their experiences on bad exams.

Dt :o
    you're screwed if you're applying to american residencies, otherwise no biggie, no one here cares about pre-clinical exams except for your overall grade for your degree

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Relax, you don't know you failed and even if you did it's not the end of the world.
    If you apply to the US I think they primarily care about your USMLE results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

dont sweat it OP.

in 2nd and 3rd med i failed christmas, easter and summer exams in biochem and physiology.

the only thing i have failed since is my driving test!

and i was the first person in my class to get a consultant post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Think I might have gone down in one as well this Christmas

Fingers crossed

Now if you want an example of complete and utter failure; I will describe the horror of my 7 min neuro OSCE.

It started with the doctor telling the patient that the last student did an excellent exam. I then joked they should both lower their standards. It then continued with me being completely unable to elicit the knee jerk, in a patient with a hyperreflexia. The rest of the OSCE is a bit of a blur and could be described as a kind of prolonged fumbling about interspersed with awkward silences. If there was any room on the floor I would have curled up in the foetal position and muttered that it was all a bad dream to myself.

And this was one of my better stations :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

sam34 wrote: »

and i was the first person in my class to get a consultant post!

That definitely gives me some hope!!!

Thanks guys.

I'll cross my fingers for you Spagbol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

GradMed wrote: »
    Now if you want an example of complete and utter failure; I will describe the horror of my 7 min neuro OSCE.

It started with the doctor telling the patient that the last student did an excellent exam. I then joked they should both lower their standards. It then continued with me being completely unable to elicit the knee jerk, in a patient with a hyperreflexia. The rest of the OSCE is a bit of a blur and could be described as a kind of prolonged fumbling about interspersed with awkward silences. If there was any room on the floor I would have curled up in the foetal position and muttered that it was all a bad dream to myself.

And this was one of my better stations :)

My god this sounds horrific!!! why is it neuro that instills fear in every med student??

It wasn't as bad as I make it out to be, the waiting for results is far worse.
    Neurology is really interesting and the classes are always memorable with students and lecturers acting out the various gaits associated with disorders.

Advertisement