Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian protein & breakfast

Options
  • 09-01-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm not a strict veggie, but I just don't like many meats, don't like the texture. I eat chicken, minced beef some bacons, but don't really enjoy it. I know that quinoa and lentils are a great veggie source of protein, but is it inevitable that a vegetarian will be protein deficient?

I'm starting out on a programme called 'The sugar addicts total recovery guide' (will start a thread about this specifically) and the first step is eating a protein rich breakfast every morning, which is hard or me because eggs make me sick.. So I'm having quinoa every morning but can see myself getting sick of that pretty soon. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

nuts, yoghurt and cheese would be good protein foods at breakfast too with fruit and veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I sometimes have cereal with protein powder mixed into the milk. If you're low on protein during the day top it up with protein shakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

Whoops, forgot to mention that I'm lactose intolerant! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Whoops, forgot to mention that I'm lactose intolerant! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Me too, you can get "lactofree" milk from tesco or spar. Lifesaver :) tastes just like normal milk

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Launcher

You could trying putting a couple of scoops of Hemp protein powder into a fruit smoothie. The vast majority of Hemp protein powders come in at approximately 50% of protein,contain a considerable amount of Fibre and a very broad range of amino acids.

On a personal level, I also supplement with Sunwarrior vegan protein powder which contains 85% protein. However it is quite expensive.
    http://www.sunwarrior.com/products/sunwarrior-protein

In response to your question as to whether 'is it inevitable that vegetarians will be protein deficient'. I would recommend that you try and get your hands on a book called - 'Thrive:The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimum Performance in Sports and Life' by Brendan Brazier. Its a great book in general but also includes numerous high protein vegan recipes for breakfast and your other main meals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement