Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

since the cold snap

• 09-01-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭

since we'v had the cold snap the temp gauge on the isn't moving well. it stays around the 1/4 mark and when i trun on the heat it goes down. but if i'm in traffic the temp gauge goes back up normal.

What could be causing this. had the thermostat replaced last year and head gasket . could the coolant sensor need changing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

cena wrote: »
    since we'v had the cold snap the temp gauge on the isn't moving well. it stays around the 1/4 mark and when i trun on the heat it goes down. but if i'm in traffic the temp gauge goes back up normal.

What could be causing this. had the thermostat replaced last year and head gasket . could the coolant sensor need changing.

I would think your thermostat needs to be replaced again. If you turn on your heater in the car does it affect the gauge?

Also someone told me it could be an airlock in my car since it's doing this but I would be very doubtful of that..

EDIT: If it is the thermostat try a genuine one if you went aftermarket last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

ya the gauge goes down when to heat is turned on. the thermosta that they changed was only 12 euro. how much would a fiat one cost. aslo there is a noise of water on the car when it stars cold.
    i do think its airlocked. how do i un airlock the rad

ya the gauge goes down when to heat is turned on. the thermosta that they changed was only 12 euro. how much would a fiat one cost. aslo there is a noise of water on the car when it stars cold.
    i do think its airlocked. how do i un airlock the rad

Not sure but one for a golf 1.9TDI was €28 for genuine IIRC. Also your car could have a bleeder screw. Try look for Fiat specific forums and search there on the DIY how to do it. Unless someone here knows. Odds are though this would cause it to overheat than not warm up enough but worth it to check.

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Not sure but one for a golf 1.9TDI was €28 for genuine IIRC. Also your car could have a bleeder screw. Try look for Fiat specific forums and search there on the DIY how to do it. Unless someone here knows. Odds are though this would cause it to overheat than not warm up enough but worth it to check.

its not over heating. it doesn't even go up too half unless idleing. mite put in into the garage next door.

its not over heating. it doesn't even go up too half unless idleing. mite put in into the garage next door.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I meant that an airlock is more likely to make it overheat rather than not warm up enough. But you might as well see if it is while you're at it.

Does it heat up to optimal temperatures when stuck in slow moving traffic?

• Advertisement

ya it gets really warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

since the heat rises when idling it's nearly guarantee'd your thermostat is stuck open.

i think it is stupid aftermarket one. going too ring fiat in the morning and get a price for a new one. its so annoying when there some one in the car and it doesn't warm anyone up.

i'v asked the garage too look at it that put it in but they never did only topped it upped.

is it easy too change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Thermostats are easy to change. 10-15 minute job.

Also once the car is up and running with the new thermostat you might

need to bleed out the air from the system. Good luck.

i'll just leave it for the garage. well get the part. well it need more coolant once the stat is changed

• Advertisement

i'll just leave it for the garage. well get the part. well it need more coolant once the stat is changed

Let the garage get the part, their problem then if it's a dud one ;)
    They may need to top up the coolant a little as some will be lost during the stat change, they may reckon a coolant change is appropriate too. If for €€€s reasons you don't want a coolant change mention this when you drop the car in.

can they get the part from fiat and get it sent out too them.

can they get the part from fiat and get it sent out too them.

Of course they can, just tell them you want the main dealer stat not one from a factors.

thanks. i'll send on the garage and see what they. save's me going out too the rain.

Advertisement