Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Orchid Help!

Options
  • 09-01-2011 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I asked a question about my indoor orchid a little while ago, but think I'd like some more help now....

The original flowers dropped off. So I've been watering and feeding every two weeks with Baby Bio. Now, the flowering stem seems to be dying, but the leaves are still OK (they're nice and green, and appear to be fine).

I don't think the plant itself is dying, but I seem to be doing something wrong with the flowering stem...

Any idea?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Is it a Phalaenopsis?

I've got two of these, and both are in flower again at the moment. Are there any flower buds left on the stem? If not, then that stem is probably 'finished' and I think you are supposed to cut it off. It will probably flower again. I feed mine with orchid food, only in the spring and summer (although not sure if this is correct since they seem to be flowering now!). They also seem to be very sensitive to smoke in the air, so if you smoke in the room they are in, maybe it's best to move them, as this can cause the flowers to drop off.

ETA you may be able to get the spike to produce more flowers, by cutting to about an inch above the first node on the spike:

http://www.orchid.org.uk/phalcult.htm

Advertisement