Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

replace a Sky box with a Sky + box

• 09-01-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is limited to usage a communal satellite system. Due to the cabling arrangement and current set up she can only get standard SKY in her place. She can not get SKY plus but is a paid up SKY member with a valid card and sky package etc.

I changed to UPC and still have my sky + box. Can I give this to her so she can used it to record, obviously she will not be able to record two things at once or record one thing while watching another.

but could she use to to record one thing while she is out or watching that very thing? could she use the EPG?

If this is the case I would just hook up this box and put her card in it, or will the card know that she is not a sky plus customer.

BTW if SKY + was available to her she would get it, but she can't put up another dish, it's a duplex house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

If you give her your old sky plus box then you can record what you are watching only as you rightly said. If you switch channel whilst it is recording No satellite signal will be displayed on the screen

Connect the single feed to the connection marked LNB input 1 on the back of the box.
    You will then need to ring up Sky and tell them you have changed the box to a Sky+ and need to repair the card and add the sky+ functions to her card.

They wont charge for this ....but you will be charged for the phonecall etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

great that's what I'll do, she went out an bought a hard drive recorder, but i think that with the EPG that the sky + box will be better.

Yup well worth doing in my opinion you simply cant beat the simplicity of the sky plus or sky hd box in my opinion.

scaller wrote: »
    Don't connect the single feed to RF1. Connect the single feed to LNB input1

Many thanks Scaller I stand corrected ......I wont blame typo for that one....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

just a follow up on this, I followed the advice here, all seemed well, and it works , but only sometimes, she thinks that some stations (TV3) don't always record, she has been trying stuff like leaving the box on and sometimes leaving it in standby but its still up in the air if it will record or not.

anyone any further advice, like i said it works... sometimes

thank you again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Stoner wrote: »
    just a follow up on this, I followed the advice here, all seemed well, and it works , but only sometimes, she thinks that some stations (TV3) don't always record, she has been trying stuff like leaving the box on and sometimes leaving it in standby but its still up in the air if it will record or not.

anyone any further advice, like i said it works... sometimes

thank you again

Check the signal strength,if it drops out during recording it can result in lost recordings.

Advertisement