Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year accomodation??

Options
  • 09-01-2011 4:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭

Sorry to be an inconvenience but i would really appreciate it if someone who goes to UCD(Preferably someone who is currently in first year and filled out their application last year) would clarify a few things for me. The website isn't working properly so icant get the info i need but i plan to ring after school tomorrow.

1. What is the exact procedure for applying to UCD about on campus acccomodation?

2. Is there a specific place in which first years excluisvely stay(ie NUIG has corrib village) and if so are you given a choice etc or are you just placed in a specific place regardless?? If not where is the best place to stay??

3. Is it easy to reserve a place as a group?( me and 2 or 3 lads were thinkin of gettin a place together)

Any information at all will be appreciated

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 woofy

Heya lad!
    no worries.
    1)on campus accomadation is run through the UCD residential services. you can apply online through http://www.ucd.ie/residences
    when ur a student in UCD you can log into a student account and access information regarding the college,check exam results etc. on sisweb. you can also apply for on campus res.

At the moment there is no set res for 1st year students. There used to be with certain residence only available to first years but I dont know if there is a plan to re-initate it. In years gone by typically glenoena was reseved for final year students,PHDs, internationals and masters and merville/belgrove/roebuck were dominated by 1st years.

When i was applying for campus accom. i had to wait til i accepted my course on the CAO website but that was 3 years ago. I dont believe thats the case anymore but i dont see any options to register on the website for next year freshers ( granted i didnt look particularily hard).

Easiest way to find out is ring UCD residential services on (01) 7161005 for the roebuck office or (01) 7161034 for the merville office between 9.30am and 5.00pm.
    This week you might have difficulty getting through and they might be a bit abrupt over the phone this week as the entire team is trying to sort out hundreds of students moving in this week. Best bet is call sometime next week during office hours.
    if you call outside office hours you ll be talking to one of the Residential assistants who are generally helpful but they cant register you for accomadation and will just give you the same advice i have and tell you to ring between 9.30am and 5pm the next day when the office manager is in.

2)You can apply anywhere. If you just wanna party belgrove is probably the place for you. Can be hard to get a good nights sleep though.
    Merville is probably your best bet if your on a budget. Good quality and not as party hectic and Belgrove and its the closest to the campus shop.

3) You cant apply together but you can apply individually. There will be a list of available rooms and you can book rooms in the same apartment provided they are available.

alternatively look up daft.ie and try and find a house or apartment nearby. Its usually cheaper and its possible to get places literally just outside of campus. Like beside the gate in clonskeagh or the one at fosters avenue.

Advertisement