Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a .IE domain

Options
  • 09-01-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Im doing a college project which involves setting up a website. I dont know much about doing this and Im currently looking a hosting, possibly with Blacknight. Anyways can I use a .IE domain for my site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Yes you can. What makes you think you can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

I thought only registered companies could use a .IE domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

JohnP199 wrote: »
    Im doing a college project which involves setting up a website. I dont know much about doing this and Im currently looking a hosting, possibly with Blacknight. Anyways can I use a .IE domain for my site?

I've never tried to register a .ie domain because there is more hassle involved and it is dearer then just buying a .net domain. <Mod Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Folks, we don't discuss individual companies for hosting sites in this forum, please don't make recommendations or criticisms.

OP, you can register a .ie privately (I've got three of them myself), you do have to do a little more paperwork though (it amounts to sending the registrar a photocopy of your passport or driving licence or utility bill or whatever, and a letter saying what the domain will be used for).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

JohnP199 wrote: »
    I thought only registered companies could use a .IE domain.
    A quick Internet search will show you that, while the rules for registering a .ie domain are stricter than a .com/.net etc., it's not just for registered companies at all. You just need to supply proof of entitlement e.g. if you are registering your own name then send a scan of your passport. That's what I did when I registered myname.ie back in 2007 when the rules were changed. From here:
    Who can apply?
    If you operate a business or service in Ireland you should be able to apply for your own .ie
    The IE registry's rules are somewhat stricter than those for .com's etc., but normally proof of entitlement will suffice.

For the sake of simplicity though I would just register a .com unless you really want the .ie domain.

As it's just for a college project, what will happen the domain once the project is finished? Is there webspace that you can use through your college?

• Advertisement

I would like to keep the site going after I finish the project so I think a .IE is the way to go for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

another option is for a minimal fee you can register a "Business name" with the company register office (cro.ie) that can be just about whatever you wish. This isn't a company just a name, you can then use this registration to attained a .ie domain name with the same business name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did you get sorted with this John?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

croo wrote: »
    another option is for a minimal fee you can register a "Business name" with the company register office (cro.ie) that can be just about whatever you wish. This isn't a company just a name, you can then use this registration to attained a .ie domain name with the same business name.
    But why bother when you can just apply as a natural person seeking a discretionary name? Then all you have to do is send in proof of identity (usually I just scan my passport and email that to the hosting provider I use) and a brief note (ie. one paragraph) saying why you want the name. Costs less than even registering a business name with the CRO...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Sparks wrote: »
    But why bother when you can just apply as a natural person seeking a discretionary name? Then all you have to do is send in proof of identity (usually I just scan my passport and email that to the hosting provider I use) and a brief note (ie. one paragraph) saying why you want the name. Costs less than even registering a business name with the CRO...
    Well I was not aware of the "discretionary name" option until you mentioned it earlier. But even so if the site was for some kind of trade/business then technically it's a trading name so you should register that with CRO and then you can use that reg. number to get a .ie domain with a similar name. My point was more that you don't need a company- even if it is a trade orientated site (and not your name).

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Did you get sorted with this John?

I the process of doing it now.

I've just registered a Business name now. I chose to do this as I was told that I needed a Business name for a .IE if I intended to make money from the site. So for the sake of €20 I thought this was the best option.

Just sending in the signed registration form and payment today. Should I include a note saying that I have given my home address as I plan to work from there? I heard some people had applications rejected for this reason. Have I to wait or can I register my domain now?

What steps should I take from here setting up my website?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Don't think the IEDR care much about where in Ireland you are living - you have signed up with the CRO so you just send in a note saying you wish to register somedomain.ie, provide your RBN number given from the CRO,provide your contact details (name, address and phone - can be your home/work address IIRC) and then the nameservers for your hosting provider which the account is setup with (eg ns1.someplace.com and ns2.someplace.com).

The letter needs to be signed and then faxed/scanned and emailed into the IEDR/your register (depending what instructions they gave, some ask you go directly to IEDR and some say go through them). You then pay your domain register.

It generally takes a day or less to get it processed assuming all is in order.

Once confirmed and the zone is updated, your domain is live and pointing to your hosting account. From there, just upload your website to the hosting space you have and your good to go.

Advertisement