Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen, Sean Fitzpatrick, Golf and the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

goat2 wrote: »
    we all know who our friends by the way they behave during times of crisis

yeah poor Cowen, it's not like he was minister for finance or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

beanie. wrote: »
    Front page http://yfrog.com/f/gz4mxmj/
    2nd page http://yfrog.com/f/h4a6yhj/
    Click on the images to enlarge.

Thanks.

I think we now know why none of these bankers have faced a public trial.

Cowen misled the Dail and this "integrity" he supposedly has is in shatters tonight.

VinB twisting the knife right now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

gambiaman wrote: »
    Who are you talking to?

On topic - there are now lots of hints on radio etc that a paper will have more revelations of other Anglo Irish-centric meetings Cowen hasn't disclosed either tonmorrow or over the weekend and the expected outcome is that he will be gone by Tuesday next at the latest.

I have €40 on Monday as the day. Got 2.5 to 1 last Sunday he would be gone in 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

Fitzerb wrote: »
    It always amazes me how people become so defensive when asked straight questions. Do you ever find that ?
    I have noticed it a lot actually..especially when the latest FF stooge is wheeled out to face the media :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I have €40 on Monday as the day. Got 2.5 to 1 last Sunday he would be gone in 10 days

Even with all this, I think he'll have to be surgically removed from office.
    Tuesday is the next FF PP I think?

unless he goes into hiding, and he probably will, I can't see how he can possible get through tomorrow (Friday)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

that's some nice betting

reckon it'll be sooner myself though. sunday at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I was in a Bar one night and there was a nut job who wouldnt leave despite the following..

- he should have left of his own accord
    - he was asked to leave
    - he was being assisted out the door when suddenly

he made a break for the bar and grabbed the inside edge of the counter with both hands, tucked his knees under the other side,

- he still wouldnt leave

eventually his knuckles were rapped and he popped open like a hot clam and was bounced out the door

cowen has long past his opportunity for a disgraceful exit,

....how will Cowen be removed from his treacherous occupancy of the office of An Taoiseach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

the irish public took out mortgages they now are defaulting on costing the tax payer huge amounts of money - FACT

there is no evidence to support any shady dealings on a golf course, mere hear say

Did you read the question ?
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well you have no "evidence" that I played any part in this, but you seems happy enough to imply that I - and many others like me - did ?

What other people did is not my concern, and I was not referring to that.

FACT - the people involved in that meeting on the golf course cost the country / the taxpayer / the fiscally sensible far, far more than even those who took out mortgages will see in a lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Today (friday) will be a big day in irish political history.

Hopefully Cowen and all of FF will leave to a prison cell.

Hopefully some day soon we'll see executions back on this island. The EU would be all too happy to allow us to hang them all.

There is no hope for this country if we dont see justice after this.

I've gone over and over the contributions on this thread, and only one thing springs to mind......that the FF supporters view their party like a soccer team, and they will support it no matter what the party does.

They don't seem to view concerns and issues raised by other contributors as valid concerns, and seek to reply with a dig of their own, not wanting to "give in" or "be beaten".

For example, I don't care who Kenny or Cowen met, so Kenny meeting people isn't an issue to me. What would make it an issue is if Kenny subsequently made a decision that cost the country billions and benefitted the person that they met.

I know there probably are die-hard supporters of other parties - with the same mindset - relishing FF's downfall the way Spurs supporters might relish Arsenal getting beaten, but the key point to get across is that not everyone is a blinkered or staunch supporter of a party.......in fact, I couldn't care less if there were never "parties", because the whip prevents TDs from voting with their conscience, etc.

So here's an honest, straight message to all FF supporters that I've had run-ins with recently.

I am not "out to get" your party as a default position; I am not taking a swipe at something you've chosen to hold dear as a way to get a dig in; it isn't personal, because I don't understand the mindset that makes you so inextricably attached to your party and criticism of it.

I merely want honest, competent government (or as close to it as we're likely to get in this country, which given the alternatives will probably fall short, but will not have the level of corruption and disaster that we've seen over the last 20 years).

I genuinely believe that is why posts that go "hang on a sec - what's going on here ? That's not acceptable" get strange retorts and accusations as replies.

If it's any consolation, I will be just as hard on any other party that in the future has equivalent issues, although I know some probably won't believe that at face value.

But the bottom line is that FF is not "a team" to support blindly, no matter what they do, and genuine, party-neutral people are on the breadline and emigrating through astronomical redundancies and tax increases to pay off those who gambled; many of those are normal people like myself who did not borrow too much or get greedy, but still have to foot the bill so that the likes of Seanie & Ahern & Neary get their massive pensions and payoffs - despite them obviously being - at best - useless at their jobs and - at worst - having a separate, selfish agenda.

I don't know which it is, but it's not acceptable. Blinkered party followers from other parties might be expected to object, but the rest of us have just looked at the track record and the question marks and said "enough".

Liam, with all thats coming out FF cannot be allowed to run for the general election surely?

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Liam, with all thats coming out FF cannot be allowed to run for the general election surely?

Lowry, Haughey, Ahern & Cooper-Flynn all ran for election despite their goings-on being public knowledge.

I'm not sure there's actually a law to say they can't, and even if there was one the fact that Ahern is a TD in contravention of the one such law that I am aware of means that it doesn't seem to matter.

So the issue that I have isn't them running for election, it's that people will vote for them.

Voters should, however, have free will, and that is why I'm on record as saying that I'd leave if FF (and to be fair I've said it about at least one other party too) get in; not because of FF being in power, but because it'll mean enough Irish people want an Ireland that I don't belong - or want to belong - in.

I'd have thought the same if I'd been in the US when Bush got re-elected; just simply not a society I subscribe to.

But yeah, everyone has a vote and if that's what they want to vote for, I can argue the toss but I can't stop them.

Even referencing my own post above - the fact that politics is more about undermining the opponent that actually doing something worthwhile saddens me and shows that we're heading in a direction that I despair about.

@Liam
    Could the opposition parties push for emergency legislation for compulsory voting for all over 18. A very big problem is too much older people voting and not enough young people. I dont know about where you are from but in my area old people are simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

If the story that came out on the Vinnie B show tonight, and in tomorrow's Irish Times are true, then it surely needs to become a criminal investigation? This is the type of stuff that even Berlusconi wouldn't get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

@Liam
    Could the opposition parties push for emergency legislation for compulsory voting for all over 18. A very big problem is too much older people voting and not enough young people. I dont know about where you are from but in my area old people are simple.

I disagree. We live in a free society, if people don't want to vote, let them.

@Liam

Sounds like a pretty unfair generalisation, tbh.

Where I'm from younger people are more likely to vote for rubbish like x-factor - and even more inexplicably pay to do so.

Young people - or any people - shouldn't need to be "forced" to do anything, because in general if you force something you'll get an ill-thought-through result or a protest vote.

e.g. When did you clean your room properly? When you decided it needed it or when you were forced to?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Sounds like a pretty unfair generalisation, tbh.

Where I'm from younger people are more likely to vote for rubbish like x-factor - and even more inexplicably pay to do so.

Young people - or any people - shouldn't need to be "forced" to do anything, because in general if you force something you'll get an ill-thought-through result or a protest vote.

e.g. When did you clean your room properly? When you decided it needed it or when you were forced to?

True.
    A campaign to urge young people to vote perhaps? Will pm you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Sergeant wrote: »
    If the story that came out on the Vinnie B show tonight, and in tomorrow's Irish Times are true, then it surely needs to become a criminal investigation? This is the type of stuff that even Berlusconi wouldn't get away with.

The other parties are all talk about big reforms, but so far it seems little more than changing the curtains.
    Who ever gets in, if they don't make radical changes to the system we will have this exact same situation with pretty much the same players or their off-spring in a little over a decade or so.

I would be concerned that all this latest Cowen stuff will detract from Lenihan and the rest of FFail.

• Advertisement

Sergeant wrote: »

If its true its theft on a grand scale.

I have a feeling those bankers are going to torture us until the very end. This is sopranos stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

If its true its theft on a grand scale.

I have a feeling those bankers are going to torture us until the very end. This is sopranos stuff.

as it stands, it is the greatest heist of all time

100 Billion and counting....

another World Record for the sad sack Paddy that carries the loser political 'elite'

It is time that the Garda Commissioner took the initiative

Barname wrote: »
    as it stands, it is the greatest heist of all time

100 Billion and counting....

another World Record for the sad sack Paddy that carries the loser political 'elite'

I hope to god it will buy us some saving grace from the IMF/EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

It always amazes me how people become so defensive when asked straight questions. Do you ever find that ?
    Yeah, I've been watching Brian Cowen lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yeah, I've been watching Brian Cowen lately.
    Classic! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

@Liam
    I dont know about where you are from but in my area old people are simple.

I have noticed that in your recent posts ok:D

Barname wrote: »

hahaha

ranks above superintendent are politically appointed
    and who has been in charge for the past 10 years? FF

hahahaha wishful thinking the country is rotten to the core didnt you hear about Ivor ?

hahaha

ranks above superintendent are politically appointed
    and who has been in charge for the past 10 years? FF

hahahaha wishful thinking the country is rotten to the core didnt you hear about Ivor ?

We need a new government a.s.a.p. We need an election now. FF need to go now.

We need a new government a.s.a.p. We need an election now. FF need to go now.

we need reform

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

we need reform

would have to agree after having seen how the common man's Labour's Eamon Gilmore's wife raped their own community over the school land deal.

Advertisement