Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen, Sean Fitzpatrick, Golf and the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I believe he was also an advisor of Cowen's at one stage.

just shows that we are listning to lies, and the greens declined to come on frontline tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

goat2 wrote: »
    just shows that we are listning to lies, and the greens declined to come on frontline tonight

Greens? Consistently proven themselves to be self serving cowards with no balls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

sligopark wrote: »
    Greens? Consistently proven themselves to be self serving cowards with no balls

They have repeatedly stuck their little green fingers in their ears no matter what was disclosed. I hope they get their just rewards for propping up the FF fiasco that ruined our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

later10 wrote: »
    No. Everybody who voted got what they, as a group, voted for. It isn't Fianna Failer's who've given no other party but them an electoral victory general election after general election all through my lifetime, it was regular citizens. it will be regular citizens who I believe will return them to power in the coming years as well, as they have done as recently as 2009.

That isn't necessarily a good thing by the way, but it's very likely.

I didn't say that FF members got what they voted for, I said FF voters got what they voted for.

And they did; whether they are members or long-time voters or once-off voters for FF. They got FF into power - as they wanted.

If they voted FF, then they were FF voters.

Unfortunately the rest of us have to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Lister1 wrote: »
    It would be impossible to play a game of golf for 5 hours with someone who afaik is not a personal friend and not discuss business. Sure isnt that what the purpose of these golf outings are?

Do we know more about when the golf outing took place? If it was a weekday and they didnt discuss business as a tax payer I feel shafted that we were paying him to participate in a social outing.

It was July (holidays) and it was Druids Glen.
    It was a golf an outing which if correct would suggest that it was a society or more than likely a charity gig attended by usually up to 80 people But unlike most on here I wont speculate as I don’t know the facts.
    Based on your weekday issues what days and hours do you think politicians should work ?.
    But don’t worry as he was on holidays so I am sure the wages department marked him down for a day off. Hope he didn’t pull a sickie.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I didn't say that FF members got what they voted for, I said FF voters got what they voted for.

And they did; whether they are members or long-time voters or once-off voters for FF. They got FF into power - as they wanted.

Its called Democracy.

BTW, have not yet seen your response to my polite request for the facts on your earlier post....... Not expecting to either

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

will be back in with a majority by the end of the decade. enjoy the break :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If ye completely reform and weed out the corruption, and maybe get a few competent people in, I'll have no real objection to that.

I'd almost imagine that if ye start today, 9 years should (in theory) just about manage it.

Unfortunately there have been no signs of reform or objections to corruption since the days of Haughey, so I won't hold my breath.

Biggins wrote: »
    Honestly, I find it very hard to trust ANYTHING that comes out of a Fianna Fail mouth.
    Do I believe his statement? No.

Am I shocked you dont NO

If ye completely reform and weed out the corruption, and maybe get a few competent people in, I'll have no real objection to that.

I'd almost imagine that if ye start today, 9 years should (in theory) just about manage it.

Unfortunately there have been no signs of reform or objections to corruption since the days of Haughey, so I won't hold my breath.

Haughey found guilty and corrupt. NO question.
    Can you tell me which tribunal or court has found Cowan or Ahern guilty of corruption.
    Once again this is your “view” and you are entitled to that but it is not a fact.
    You seem scarce on facts actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0109/anglo.html

Fine Gael's Justice spokesperson Alan Shatter, has called for the Taoiseach to be interviewed by the Gardai.

They played golf for four hours apparently, why?

If a gynacologist asked to play a round of golf with you - would you refuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

I thought that Fianna Failures were more cunning than to expect us to swallow this bull at this stage in the game.

They've been cunning enough to have the country eating out of their hand for the last century, they know the people of Ireland won't ever let them down.......just look at the cheek of the Failers in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Typical FFail attitude towards your country.
    I shall be ignoring you from now on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Fitzerb wrote: »
    It was July (holidays) and it was Druids Glen.
    It was a golf an outing which if correct would suggest that it was a society or more than likely a charity gig attended by usually up to 80 people But unlike most on here I wont speculate as I don’t know the facts.
    Based on your weekday issues what days and hours do you think politicians should work ?.
    But don’t worry as he was on holidays so I am sure the wages department marked him down for a day off. Hope he didn’t pull a sickie.

It was a three ball between Drury, Cowen and Seanie.

Nice and cosy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I want to know why ireland is so accepting of whats happening here in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I want to know why Ireland is so accepting of whats happening here in the country.
    Complacency, acceptance by some of perhaps inability to change anything, some just don't want to know and others just in denial maybe?

Its been going on in some fashion and some quarters maybe that some have just gotten used to that way of life and accept it?

Originally Posted by Biggins
    Honestly, I find it very hard to trust ANYTHING that comes out of a Fianna Fail mouth.
    Do I believe his statement? No.
    Am I shocked you dont NO
    Am I shocked that you might disagee?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Haughey found guilty and corrupt. NO question.
    Can you tell me which tribunal or court has found Cowan or Ahern guilty of corruption.
    Once again this is your “view” and you are entitled to that but it is not a fact.
    You seem scarce on facts actually
    We were hearing the same crap about Haughey from the Fianna Failures 20 years ago. Presumably the truth behind Bertie's mystery money/horse racing winnings/no bank account will seep out in the coming years, possibly in another tribunal that will cost the tax payers hundreds of millions.

That will be on top of the billions that the incompetence/corruption of Ahern, Cowen and Comical Lenny has cost us already.

What I don't understand is this: you know Fianna Failure are riven with corruption, you know that they have done nothing with the country for the last 20 years, you know they have no vision for the country, you know they aren't a republican party in the Sinn Fein sense - so why the hell do people still embarrass themselves defending them and voting for them? Blind loyalty, like with a football team? "I don't care how bad they are, they are my team"?

A tribunal report will be out shortly anyway - well as soon as those maybe wanting to delay it, have finally failed!

What we do know is Bertie Ahern was a financial genius.
    Far from being an economic illiterate, the man is a financial wonder.

1. He won loads of lolly on the gee-gees in dollars, sterling, punts by the bucket load it appears - if his memory serves him right!

2. He didn't fall for the silly thing of having a known Irish bank account! No Anglo account for him.

3. He planned very, very hard it appears for his retirement.

We should all be bowing to this financial god! :D

...O' and thank lord that if he took any medication to get his memory working again, they worked in time for him to produce a full book of his memoires!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

goat2 wrote: »
    if these cowboys are not jailed by the time the election come around, i will not be voting

Great just let the current shower continue and then you will be on another internet forum in a couple of years bitching about how x, y and z are in power.
    Sadly about the only power we the people have is that we can make sure they do not get elected again.
    Use it.

Being honest I think we should be chasing the hoors with pitchforks to tar and feather them, but sadly that is against the law.
    I believe he was also an advisor of Cowen's at one stage.

A quick google shows Fintan Drury was a member of the Risk and Compliance Committee. i.e. he knew the position of the bank when he organised a game of golf for Seanie and Cowen.

It's a horrible little country we live in.

And what is even more horrible is the sh** we hear from the ffers and their apologists.
    In any other sane country ffers would have kicked out their incompetent inept unethical leaders, but in Ireland they defend them to the bitter end.

It has been noticable how a new batch of ffers and ff apologists have arrived on this forum over the last month or so.
    The election is drawing near and they are ramping up their propaganda.
    Watch the twisting of facts, the twisting of truth to try and spin their way out of the mess that they have created.
    Hell they have even moved on from blaming Lehmans for the mess, they blame the experts, they blame the people, the opposition, the last sting is they are just starting to blame their own departing members.

Of course that is all that matters, the success of the party and winning the elections so that the troughs can be rolled out for the supporters.

Your smug attitude is offensive and I believe just shows the true mindset of ffers.

Some people around here wonder why people still support and defend ff.
    They are often labelled as idiots, but I don't believe they are idiots, far from it.
    In my experience the vocal grassroot supporters usually gain well from supporting the party.
    A contract here or there, a job for family members, planning for this or that.

From my experience the worse you are, the more unethical you are the higher one rises in the ff organisation.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jmayo wrote: »
    It has been noticable how a new batch of ffers and ff apologists have arrived on this forum over the last month or so.
    It was predictable though.
    Its somewhat funny to see them clutching to the grass whilst hanging off the edge of the cliff. Just keep standing on their fingers and soon they will be gone!

...From my experience the worse you are, the more unethical you are the higher one rises in the ff organisation.
    From my experience too.

Green Party leader John Gormley has criticised the Taoiseach for not disclosing his contacts with former Anglo boss Seán FitzPatrick earlier.

Mr Gormley said the manner in which his contacts with Mr FitzPatrick have been made public has given rise to suggestions about "inappropriate behaviour".

However, he said his party had been unable to find any evidence of “impropriety” and would remain in Government until the Finance Bill is passed. Mr Gormley was speaking following a parliamentary party meeting in Malahide today.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0111/breaking17.html

Johnny caves in to his master yet again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

There is nothing intrinsicly wrong with the head of what at the time was Irelands largest bank having some face time, especially of a semi social nature, with the Taoiseach. Industry lunches and the likes are routine for Government Ministers. Like it or not, one of the things we expect of our politicians is to create an informal network of key players.

The issue here is disclosure. At no point in the official report into the crisis was it mentioned that Cowen and Fitzpatrick met during the crisis for an informal chat. We still have no idea what was discussed and what actions were taken on the back of these discussions.

That is the issue. Flights of fancy that the round of golf was in itself a corrupt act are not very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

kbannon wrote: »

But he is right. Politicians meet all sorts of people all the time in all sorts of settings.

The issue is that we are only learning of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Cowen says nothing happened. I smiled and rolled around the ground laughing ... then I cried. **bas***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Some people around here wonder why people still support and defend ff.
    They are often labelled as idiots, but I don't believe they are idiots, far from it.
    In my experience the vocal grassroot supporters usually gain well from supporting the party.
    A contract here or there, a job for family members, planning for this or that.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/01/10/tanaiste-says-lyit-land-deal-all-above-aboard/

Indeed.

gambiaman wrote: »
    Maybe someone learned from example. It could in all honesty be innocent lucky buys previously.
    Haughty was know to tip off his mates as to where national roads were going through or to be planned for.
    Suddenly land (that was soon to become under a purchase order) was quietly snapped up by individual buyers known to good old Charlie, not like he would gain from it or give them money to act for him!

gambiaman wrote: »
    Did anyone note the unfortunate use of facebooks "Recommend This" function below the article? Who in their right mind would recommend these practices!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Biggins wrote: »
    Maybe someone learned from example. It could in all honesty be innocent lucky buys previously.
    Haughty was know to tip off his mates as to where national roads were going through or to be planned for.
    Suddenly land (that was soon to become under a purchase order) was quietly snapped up by individual buyers known to good old Charlie, not like he would gain from it or give them money to act for him!

Try using Google maps to look up the area. There is absolutely zero chance that anyone who bought that land did not do so with some form of Development in mind - and LYIT has been around, complete with parking problems, for quite a few years now.....

Advertisement