Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disturbing news

• 09-01-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I've just got a piece of alarming news...if it's accurate: Has the Cork SPCA been taken over by members of two Co. Cork based mink hunting clubs? I've been been told this and apologies in advance if by any chance this is not the case. The names certainly match and if if this true I believe the CSPCA should receive no further funding from Cork City Council. Hunters have been trying to take overs SPCAs for years now but this looks like a success for them. Anyone else heard anything?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

TippFan77 wrote: »
    I've just got a piece of alarming news...if it's accurate: Has the Cork SPCA been taken over by members of two Co. Cork based mink hunting clubs? I've been been told this and apologies in advance if by any chance this is not the case. The names certainly match and if if this true I believe the CSPCA should receive no further funding from Cork City Council. Hunters have been trying to take overs SPCAs for years now but this looks like a success for them. Anyone else heard anything?

can i ask whats wrong with that, mink are vermin, and should be wiped out, with the amount of damage they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Have these same people being involved in animal cruelty or something other than vermin control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Fair play to them, as a hunter myself I still value the welfare of animals but vermin are exactly that and should be dealt with, hunting animals for food is our nature and real hunters only take what they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

TippFan77 wrote: »

Where did you hear that about hunters trying to take over SPCA's? Thats the first thing Iv heard about it. Why would they want to do that? :confused:

Is the CSPCA out in mahon? I thought that place was already receiving quite a bit of critisism so maybe 2 new people regardless of whether they hunt mink or not would be a breath of fresh air, unless of course you have other info on these 2 people that says otherwise. :confused:

Why would it receive no funding? If it's no longer a council run pound they may not receive as much funding but some privately run shelters receive funding from the government (albeit a tiny percentage of what is needed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭TippFan77

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Where did you hear that about hunters trying to take over SPCA's? Thats the first thing Iv heard about it. Why would they want to do that? :confused:

Is the CSPCA out in mahon? I thought that place was already receiving quite a bit of critisism so maybe 2 new people regardless of whether they hunt mink or not would be a breath of fresh air, unless of course you have other info on these 2 people that says otherwise. :confused:

Why would it receive no funding? If it's no longer a council run pound they may not receive as much funding but some privately run shelters receive funding from the government (albeit a tiny percentage of what is needed).

I think there's a misunderstanding here...I've no objection to humane mink control involving use of cage traps, or to shooting mink. We all know about the damage mink do. The two mink hunting clubs I refer to are into hunting mink with hounds...the mink are literary ripped to pieces by the dogs on the riverbanks. The point of that activity is not pest control but sadism and fun at the expense of extreme and completely unnecessary animal suffering. It's no better than badger baiting.

Even worse, from my point of view, is that hounds being used to hunt mink in this barbaric way are liable to kill otters also along the same riverbanks. And otter hunting has been officially disallowed since 1990. Fishermen in County Cork will tell you that so-called mink hunters regularly use their own "sport" as a cover to hunt and kill protected otters.

People who are into cruel bloodsports of this kind are not fit, in my view, to run an SPCA, and more than an SPCA would wish to run a foxhunt or badgerbaiting club.

Incidentally, the Cork SPCA is no longer affiliated to the national ISPCA. Despite that I understand it receives around E70,00 per annum from Cork City Council.

Anyone donating or otherwise having any dealings with the CSPCA have a right to know who's in charge. Personally I wouldn't hand a cat or dog over to "sport hunters". Especially not a cat as cats are used for blooding in animal versus animal bloodsports (mink hunting, hare coursing, fox hunting...)

• Advertisement

macadam wrote: »
    Fair play to them, as a hunter myself I still value the welfare of animals but vermin are exactly that and should be dealt with, hunting animals for food is our nature and real hunters only take what they need.

Vermin control yes...but not using dogs to tear them apart for laughs as in mink hunting with hiunds. That isn't hunting for food or control, just cruelty to animals, and the CSPCA is supposed to be committed to PROTECTING animals from such cruelty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They received €8000 in 2009. I don't really see how an SPCA could be taken over. I suppose that it depends on how it was set up & who owns the assets.

I wish people would stop using the word Vermin - I keep seeing Basil Fawlty & the Major !

Discodog wrote: »
    They received €8000 in 2009. I don't really see how an SPCA could be taken over. I suppose that it depends on how it was set up & who owns the assets.

I wish people would stop using the word Vermin - I keep seeing Basil Fawlty & the Major !

I'm not in Co. Cork myself. Does anyone have an up to date list of the officers of the Cork SPCA? I have a list of the top honchos of the two mink hunting clubs concerned. Let's see if they match.

My information is that the CSPCA has been taken over by these people.
    I will apologise profusely (and with great sigh of relief) if anyone out there can reliably inform me otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 faye2363

Where can I get a list of these members as I am interested in finding out if what you say is true?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blaithnaid

<SNIP> No discussions of rescues and this thread was February not August

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement