Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did / do you think about the Cork Meetups?

Options
  • 09-01-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to what people think about the boards beers / meetups that we organise in Cork.

Votes are private so that no-one everyone can express their TRUE feelings on that matter.

Please vote honestly!

What did / do you think about the Cork Meetups? 61 votes

I have been to them and I loved them!
    0% 0 votes
    I have been to them and I hated them!
    18% 11 votes
    I have not been to any but I would love to go to one!
    6% 4 votes
    I have not been to any and I never intend on going!
    21% 13 votes
    I have been and didn't like the people that were there.
    11% 7 votes
    I have been and loved the people that were there.
    6% 4 votes
    People who do not drink are never made to feel welcome.
    16% 10 votes
    People who do not drink are always made to feel welcome.
    1% 1 vote
    There are too many meetups in pubs, they should be elsewhere.
    13% 8 votes
    I have no opinion on the meetups
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

I would just comment on the option "There are too many meetups in pubs, they should be elsewhere". If anyone thinks that is true then you have always got the option to organise something different. There have been bowling meetups, dinners and all manner of other non-pub related stuff in the past and there is no reason why this has to stop.

So to the 1 person (so far) who voted for that option my advice would be organise something else:D

Anyone is allowed to do this!!

Seems so simple to me??!!

Presumably this has been triggered by Rocky2010 comments ? Surely the meet ups are simply meet ups, whoever wants to go goes, some like them, some don't. For some of the meet ups some complete and utter ________ (insert insulting expletive of choice here) turn up and for others they don't.

Wouldn't be getting concerned about it MrTut dude, from reading between the lines I imagine the one Rocky2010 went to was very let's drink loads orientated which he didn't have an issue with but it seems he had an issue with how some folks treated him. That would be an issue between him and those folks.

Personally I voted, I haven't gone to one and I don't intend to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Meetups were fun, I stopped going when they switched to being mostly on weekends though.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

RoverJames wrote: »

Thats what I voted also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

rebelccfc wrote: »
    Thats what I voted also.

Why??:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I have been to a couple and have enjoyed them but really don't see the need for the poll, if people want to suggest options they can do so in the meetup thread. They are supposed to be a bit of fun and i don't see the point in taking it too seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I haven't been to one but those Rocky comments would put me off a bit, lol. What happened and what was said?

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Why??:)
    not my thing really, dunno why, I think I posted a few thoughts on it before. Also one or four of the regular attendees I wouldn't get on with me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Just read Rocky's thread, that was just...weird!! :confused:

As for the meetups, I fully intend on going at some stage, I have been insanely busy the last 6 months, since around the time I became more active on boards, but the busyiness is finally dying down :) I know there's one this weekend but I won't be in Cork for this one I'm afriad.

Are there many girls at the events?
    Not asking cos I'm a prowling young male or anything haha, but I'd like to bring my girlfriend and I think she'd be more comfortable if there were other girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I went to one and was made feel very comfortable and had a laugh! Met Corkcomp, Webmonkey, PurpleLemons, Stevexo & Mudokon. Had a really good night (i.e. we got pished). :)

Went to the same bar with a few of my mates another day and it happened to be at the time of another meet up so met a few others for a brief moment. Thought it was really funny as we were introduced by usernames. :) Forgot most names I'm afraid but that's just because I have a bad memory. I'd a really good time and everyone I've met from boards, so far, has been really pleasant and welcoming.

I'd like to attend another but it'd probably be for pints as I need my courage drink. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

babo9 wrote: »
    Just read Rocky's thread, that was just...weird!! :confused:

As for the meetups, I fully intend on going at some stage, I have been insanely busy the last 6 months, since around the time I became more active on boards, but the busyiness is finally dying down :) I know there's one this weekend but I won't be in Cork for this one I'm afriad.

Are there many girls at the events?
    Not asking cos I'm a prowling young male or anything haha, but I'd like to bring my girlfriend and I think she'd be more comfortable if there were other girls!

There is usually a pretty good mix of male and female at each outing. Sometimes there is a skew one way or the other but there are usually at least a few women.

Wow, just read Rocky's thread there too. Weird. Very weird... Fair play to Faith for closing it.

NoDice wrote: »
    I went to one and was made feel very comfortable and had a laugh! Met Corkcomp, Webmonkey, PurpleLemons, Stevexo & Mudokon. Had a really good night (i.e. we got pished). :)
    Did ye get a Hillbillies afterwards? haha :D

Wow, just read Rocky's thread there too. Weird. Very weird... Fair play to Faith for closing it.

Weird indeed, he thought he was treated badly, folks there reckoned he treated them badly, wouldn't have minded going to that meet-up for the craic :pac:

Dean820 wrote: »
    I haven't been to one but those Rocky comments would put me off a bit, lol. What happened and what was said?
    Well it shouldnt put you off a bit. At the end of the day you are meeting people off the internet so some are def going to be weird. I can vouch for 99% of the people I have met, and its just 1% were weird. You should go and find out for yourself. You can always go to the toilet and never come back, lol!!
    not my thing really, dunno why, I think I posted a few thoughts on it before. Also one or four of the regular attendees I wouldn't get on with me thinks.

Ah but you never know til you go! Well tbh there arent many regulars anymore, lots of newbies!

Did ye get a Hillbillies afterwards? haha :D

.........yes........ :o And that's not a lie, Mudokon saw me there too after! :D Sad I know..
    Weird indeed, he thought he was treated badly, folks there reckoned he treated them badly, wouldn't have minded going to that meet-up for the craic :pac:

Me too!

Can't believe you wouldn't go to one yourself though dude. I personally had to. It was driving me mad. I was speaking to so many nice people on a daily basis over the internet and just had to put faces to the names. I thought it was too strange to continue speaking to these people and not meet them IRL. I was happy I went. Haven't gone to one since I'll admit but that's due to private home issues, finance blah blah boring adult stuff!

Ah but you never know til you go!

+1!!!

Went to the same bar with a few of my mates another day and it happened to be at the time of another meet up so met a few others for a brief moment. Thought it was really funny as we were introduced by usernames. :) Forgot most names I'm afraid but that's just because I have a bad memory. I'd a really good time and everyone I've met from boards, so far, has been really pleasant and welcoming.

I'd like to attend another but it'd probably be for pints as I need my courage drink. :rolleyes:

I think I might have met you that night! Was it summer??

I think I might have met you that night! Was it summer??

I think so! I was already there and I think it was corkcomp that called me over. Brog? I was already after a few and immediately went into shy-awkward-nodice mode. :rolleyes::o Shook everyone's hand and ran away! :o

I think so! I was already there and I think it was corkcomp that called me over. Brog? I was already after a few and immediately went into shy-awkward-nodice mode. :rolleyes::o Shook everyone's hand and ran away! :o

Yeah was so quick, if you were standing in front of me now I wouldnt recognise you!!:D You gonna go sat night??

• Advertisement

.........yes........ :o And that's not a lie, Mudokon saw me there too after! :D Sad I know..

Sad? Hillbillies is like a requirement when drunk :D

Yeah was so quick, if you were standing in front of me now I wouldnt recognise you!!:D You gonna go sat night??

I wish but unfortunately can't due to finances. Had a bit of a tough last few months so trying to get money up before going out properly again. Once I've money I'll hit the following one though!

I'd be the same with the recognition because that was so quick. Sorry! I happen to be very shy. Sounds weird considering I never shut up but I'm awful on entering a new group of people; totally clam up and say sorry way too much! :)

Still, unlike Rocky, I was so taken aback at how nice everyone was. I was made feel so welcome, both at the time I spent the night out the first time and my fleeting moment meeting you guys the second time. It's not very often you come across such a nice group of people who are, in effect, strangers. Really hope none of you were put off by his mad comments!
    Sad? Hillbillies is like a requirement when drunk :D

......or a requirement when hungry.. Ha ha! I'm a disaster!

I'd be the same with the recognition because that was so quick. Sorry! I happen to be very shy. Sounds weird considering I never shut up but I'm awful on entering a new group of people; totally clam up and say sorry way too much! :)

Learn magic, it works for me.

"Hi, ummm, ummm, f*ck it, who wants to see a trick?" =P

oeb wrote: »

I have a buddy and he's absolutely class at the card tricks, always has the deck at hand! Always blows people away too, funny to watch their reactions :D

Wonder what are the chances he's you :D

Edit: just saw your real name on your profile, not him:)

oeb wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek: I really want to see a magic trick!

Wonder what are the chances he's you :D

None, I'm terrible =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I don't go to them, but threads like this...they're just meet ups? Why the need to be so serious about it as if you're polling on political candiates? lol

Vinta81 wrote: »
    I don't go to them, but threads like this...they're just meet ups? Why the need to be so serious about it as if you're polling on political candiates? lol

I was wondering the same but I felt the need to, in a way, stick up for those people I have met as they were all genuinely lovely and didn't want anyone to be put off by the Rocky comments or by the negative poll result. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Hmm. Seems like Rocky2010 is having a rocky start to 2011. :pac:

• Advertisement

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Hmm. Seems like Rocky2010 is having a rocky start to 2011. :pac:

I want to facepalm but I giggled. Damb you! :D

Advertisement