Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did / do you think about the Cork Meetups?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

This things should be cumpulsory for meeting people offline for the first time so we can associate logins/handles with real names and faces!

hi_my_name_is_poster-p228578688443113215t5wm_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Eh went to two myself. Well over a year and a half ago at this stage. The two nights i went there were big crowds(more than 15 one night )which made it quite quite awkward as i wasnt long 18 at the time but to be honest couldnt have been made feel more comfortable. Got turned away from clancys cause i was apparently too young at the time :P but good aul kingtut came out and got me in with his bit o charm. That group split up into three that night for various reasons and i went to savoy with webmonkey and two others and had a bloody great night!!

Went bowling for the next one and had just as good a time( apart from oeb's scary run -ups...being on the outside seat didnt help :P) Everyone just talked away and there was no bitching. Too busy most days to go to any more but for the two i was at they were a good laugh.

On making threads like this i dont think there's really a need. I think if anything numbers showing up will tell you how people feel about them. Bit of advice would be at the start of each month thread just throw down a line at the end of the post that saying all new people are more than welcome just to clarify for people.
    Well thats my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

NoDice wrote: »
    I think so! I was already there and I think it was corkcomp that called me over. Brog? I was already after a few and immediately went into shy-awkward-nodice mode. :rolleyes::o Shook everyone's hand and ran away! :o

haha remember that but you did speak for a while:P
    Vinta81 wrote: »
    I don't go to them, but threads like this...they're just meet ups? Why the need to be so serious about it as if you're polling on political candiates? lol
    On making threads like this i dont think there's really a need. I think if anything numbers showing up will tell you how people feel about them. Bit of advice would be at the start of each month thread just throw down a line at the end of the post that saying all new people are more than welcome just to clarify for people.
    Well thats my 2 cents.

+1 , I fear threads like this might do more harm than good tbh, eventhough I know thats the last thing Tut intended but overall most people enjoy these meetups and a lot keep coming back and meet up with boardsies afterwards in a more informal way

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

I don't understand why people see this thread as being a bad thing?
    I can understand why people might see it as somewhat pointless, but I certainly don't think it's going to do any harm for the meetups!
    So far most of the votes have been for the positive answers, and the posts in the thread have been discussing past experiences in a positive way!

As far as I see it, it's just another thread :) It's drawn attention to the whole meetup situation, certainly better to have this than having Rocky's thread stay near the top :)
    Personally, it's informed me about positive past experiences, I've been able to ask questions and gotten answers, sure I could of gone and asked in the sticky, but tbh I don't even pay attention to the first few threads in a forum as they're usualy charters etc.
    There has also been some light banter as a result of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Er ya know what, this is a pointless debate :)
    Summary: I like the thread, people from the meetups seem nice and up for a laugh, and I look forward to going to one (but won't be this month I'm afriad)

Now to do some work :pac:
    babo9 wrote: »
    I can understand why people might see it as somewhat pointless, but I certainly don't think it's going to do any harm for the meetups!
    So far most of the votes have been for the positive answers, and the posts in the thread have been discussing past experiences in a positive way!

As far as I see it, it's just another thread :) It's drawn attention to the whole meetup situation, certainly better to have this than having Rocky's thread stay near the top :)
    Personally, it's informed me about positive past experiences, I've been able to ask questions and gotten answers, sure I could of gone and asked in the sticky, but tbh I don't even pay attention to the first few threads in a forum as they're usualy charters etc.

• Advertisement

Can't believe you wouldn't go to one yourself though dude. I personally had to. It was driving me mad. I was speaking to so many nice people on a daily basis over the internet and just had to put faces to the names. I thought it was too strange to continue speaking to these people and not meet them IRL. I was happy I went.

I'm a very quite and shy chap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

RoverJames wrote: »
    Presumably this has been triggered by Rocky2010 comments ?
    Wouldn't be getting concerned about it MrTut dude, from reading between the lines I imagine the one Rocky2010 went to was very let's drink loads orientated which he didn't have an issue with but it seems he had an issue with how some folks treated him. That would be an issue between him and those folks.

Personally I voted, I haven't gone to one and I don't intend to :)

Thanks, out of curiousity why do you never intend on going to one?
    oeb wrote: »
    Meetups were fun, I stopped going when they switched to being mostly on weekends though.

We always got more people to attend but I am always up for weekday meetups when I am in the country :D
    akamossy wrote: »
    I have been to a couple and have enjoyed them but really don't see the need for the poll, if people want to suggest options they can do so in the meetup thread.

This poll is for people to say what their opinions of the meetups in general are and not for suggesting meetup options (if I understand you correctly).
    Dean820 wrote: »
    I haven't been to one but those Rocky comments would put me off a bit, lol. What happened and what was said?

Exactly the reason why I created the poll, to guage the overall impression of the meetups. I don't want the opinions of one individual to put new people off from going which going by the poll results looks like it hasn't thankfully!
    Also one or four of the regular attendees I wouldn't get on with me thinks.

You are basing that on posts alone :confused: I'm lovely in person I promise :D
    I went to one and was made feel very comfortable and had a laugh! Met Corkcomp, Webmonkey, PurpleLemons, Stevexo & Mudokon. Had a really good night (i.e. we got pished). :)

I wanna meet you :(
    oeb wrote: »
    Learn magic, it works for me.

"Hi, ummm, ummm, f*ck it, who wants to see a trick?" =P

It impressed me anyway! Especially that burning paper one :)
    Vinta81 wrote: »
    I don't go to them, but threads like this...they're just meet ups? Why the need to be so serious about it as if you're polling on political candiates? lol

You have been to at least one meetup...maybe 2?

Didn't you not see / read the other thread that sparked this poll off:confused:
    Can't see how you can compare this to a political campaign lol. Have to be serious when comments by one individual threaten to put people off from attending meetups (which only affects people who plan on going but still).
    Got turned away from clancys cause i was apparently too young at the time :P but good aul kingtut came out and got me in with his bit o charm.

:D
    On making threads like this i dont think there's really a need. I think if anything numbers showing up will tell you how people feel about them.

There is a need when comments one person makes threaten to stop people turning up, thankfully in the 2 years I have been involved in the meetups this is the only time we have had a meetup basher lol

babo9 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I just don't think that that thread was going to stop people going to the meetings. People have their own minds, and it was one thread in a bunch of others that have been on here that have been bigging up the meet ups!!

My point is that people can say how they feel about the meetups in the meetup thread, and I just think that you are taking that guys comments too seriously. And that is just MY opinion.

kingtut wrote: »

You are basing that on posts alone :confused: I'm lovely in person I promise :D

Posts alone in the case of 2 or 3, I don't think people are hugely different on line than in real life. Most folks who post on the CorkCity forum seem absolutely great but more than once I got the distinct impression that 2 or 3 of them were arseholes :)

In one case it's not posts alone, PMs too :)

akamossy wrote: »
    I just don't think that that thread was going to stop people going to the meetings. People have their own minds, and it was one thread in a bunch of others that have been on here that have been bigging up the meet ups!!

My point is that people can say how they feel about the meetups in the meetup thread, and I just think that you are taking that guys comments too seriously. And that is just MY opinion.

One person has already said that the posts have put them off going to meetups.
    I thought you meant use the threads to organise meetups, didn't realise that you meant use those threads to discuss how they feel about them so apologies.

I take someone bad mouthing a group VERY seriously especially when it has proven to affect attendance records. I like the group and if it dies one day then fine but while I can I feel the need to defend the great people who attend and organise the meetups as well as the good nature of the group.
    Posts alone in the case of 2 or 3, I don't think people are hugely different on line than in real life. Most folks who post on the CorkCity forum seem absolutely great but more than once I got the distinct impression that 2 or 3 of them were arseholes :)

Fair enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I got the distinct impression that 2 or 3 of them were arseholes :)

.........am I an arsehole? I really hope I'm not though all my friends call me a bitch.....
    I like the group and if it dies one day then fine but while I can I feel the need to defend the great people who attend and organise the meetups as well as the good nature of the group.

I think that's really nice of you Kingtut. There's no need for you to do it and you're not getting anything out of it. That is genuinely lovely of you to take it upon yourself to defend the guys that usually go. Fairplay dude. I look forward to meeting you at a meetup!

That's what I loved about the meet up I did go to. The guys that were at it were just so kind, so welcoming and made me feel so comfortable.

From looking at the comments it looks like some folks think everyone who attends meetups is going to get along, it doesn't work like that in real life! I dont see a prob with some people not gelling and it's not a valid reason for avoiding meetups

.........am I an arsehole? .

No, you're a splendid boardsie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Brog? I was already after a few and immediately went into shy-awkward-nodice mode. :rolleyes::o Shook everyone's hand and ran away! :o

Did someone try to rob your bag that night too? That was a strange night. We ended up in the Bailey after changing bars a few times.

I've heard from a few different people that they don't want to come along because they don't think they'll get along with certain individuals. To date I've yet to meet anyone at a boards meet up that would fall into that category...

Did someone try to rob your bag that night too? That was a strange night. We ended up in the Bailey after changing bars a few times.

Ha ha oh yeah I forgot about that! Man I always make a terrible first impression! Pished, awkward and started ranting about some pregnant woman taking my bag after she released her bladder outside the Brog!!! ha ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Would people be mostly standing or sitting at such events?

corkcomp wrote: »
    I dont see a prob with some people not gelling and it's not a valid reason for avoiding meetups

Let's not forget, one doesn't need a valid reason for not going to meet ups :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Well I'm gonna guess that PM comment relates to a minor disagreement I had with RoverJames via the boards private messaging system recently. If I am correct then you are seriously cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Besides, people are very different in real life - who knows we might even like each other ha ha!!

If that does NOT refer to me then your still making judgments based on quite little evidence really.

wispyman wrote: »
    Well I'm gonna guess that PM comment relates to a minor disagreement I had with RoverJames via the boards private messaging system recently. If I am correct then you are seriously cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Besides, people are very different in real life - who knows we might even like each other ha ha!!

If that does NOT refer to me then your still making judgments based on quite little evidence really.

Wispyman old boy, you PMd me to tell me another user of the board was "being a dick" when I mentioned in a thread that I thought he was a splendid chap. As I mentioned then I had no interest in listening to you going on about it :)

I have previously mentioned reasons why CorkCity boards meet ups are not for me, I don't see what the issue is, 4 other people voted the same way. I'm not cutting off anything to spite anything.

It's a bit much when folks have to explain why they don't go to a boards meet up. The lads in the motors forum don't question why folks don't go I don't see why it's any different in here.

Edit - 5 other people have voted the same way.

Another Edit - The irony of you posting "your still making judgments based on quite little evidence really" is unreal given the reason you PMd me was to say the chap was a Dick based on a few replies in a sinlge thread, sweet Jesus.

Another Edit - The irony of you posting "your still making judgments based on quite little evidence really" is unreal given the reason you PMd me was to say the chap was a Dick based on a few replies in a sinlge thread, sweet Jesus.

Well I learned one lesson the hard way - Don't feed the trolls!

• Advertisement

So I'm a troll for not agreeing with you ?
    Lovely :)

RJ and Wispyman - *points finger* - zip it boys!

RJ I don't think people mean to tell you you have to go to a meet up. I think everyone is just on the defensive which I can understand. You know you don't have to go and the point of the thread, imo, is to see how others feel about the meet ups in general. I think it's starting to sound a bit like "WHY THE HECK AREN'T YOU COMING TO HANG OUT WITH US????" instead of "But come on, don't let posts put you off people and please come if you would like to."

Wispyman, I can understand what you're saying defo. A lot of my posts are taken up the wrong way too, I've received infractions (though I called someone a knob basically...)(Fed a troll too) but I think I'm a nice enough girl if not a little mental. :)

@ Funsterdelux - There was a little from column A and a little from column B tbh when I went. I think I picked a good one as a starter. It was a random boards beers and we all just drank shots and got to know each other in a pub we were all comfortable with.

I think that's really nice of you Kingtut. There's no need for you to do it and you're not getting anything out of it. That is genuinely lovely of you to take it upon yourself to defend the guys that usually go. Fairplay dude. I look forward to meeting you at a meetup!

That's what I loved about the meet up I did go to. The guys that were at it were just so kind, so welcoming and made me feel so comfortable.

Thanks....
    ........your cheque is in the post ;)
    corkcomp wrote: »
    From looking at the comments it looks like some folks think everyone who attends meetups is going to get along, it doesn't work like that in real life! I dont see a prob with some people not gelling and it's not a valid reason for avoiding meetups

I don't think people necessarily think that, after all when meeting strangers off of the internet there is bound to be 1 / 2 people you don't care for or just don't get along with. Don't worry though I tolerate like you :pac:

Depends on the type of event. If it is in a bar then you may or may not get a seat depending on how many people go and how busy the bar is, something like the cinema or bowling are sitting until it is your turn to bowl :D

Do you prefer sitting or standing? :o

I guess this thread has the potential to turn into a bar brawl with stools and glasses flying everywhere.

RoverJames I apologise if you feel hard done by. I just wanted to make the point that even though I will never be on your Christmas card list I am sure we could survive being at the same meetup!

So I suppose everybody should just count to 10 before posting in this thread otherwise the hard justice of moderation will be upon us all!

RoverJames I apologise if you feel hard done by.

I don't appreciate being called a troll :)
    I don't feel hard done by, past form and all ;)

I won't be commenting anymore on this thread, my vote has been cast, questioned (3 or 4 times) and explained, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Just a point about the poll options. Some of them are not mutually exclusive and could provide a bit of a conflict for the voter where more than one option applies.

Particularly

"I have been to them and I loved them!"
    "I have been and loved the people that were there."

and

"I have been to them and I hated them!"
    "I have been and didn't like the people that were there."

Anyway..

Having been a non attendee of all of the met-ups thus far the impression I get from my few visits here are mostly positive and it's quite novel and probably almost unique to be in a situation where one can get to meet up with an online forum community. It being the internet and all, most other forums that I'm registered with have members scatted across the globe. The relationships that I have with most of members on these are likely to remain online only.

I may attend one or two yet if all can forgive any of my previous pompous behaviour on here :D

So I suppose everybody should just count to 10 before posting in this thread otherwise the hard justice of moderation will be upon us all!

down-with-this-sort-of-thing.jpg
    Lemag wrote: »
    I will attend one or two if all can forgive any of my previous pompous behaviour on here :D

Good man ;)

^^^^^^^
    Wish I could thank this a million times! Man I justed laughed my ass off at work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Do you prefer sitting or standing? :o

Ah, I don't mind at all at all. :P

• Advertisement

I LOL'd at that. it varies:D
    Let's not forget, one doesn't need a valid reason for not going to meet ups :)

I agree with ya 100%, what I was trying to say in a round about way is its probably better not to give any reason than saying one wouldnt go because of some d.icks being present.. unfortunately its impossible to avoid those:rolleyes:

sometimes its best to say nothing at all:)
    I don't think people necessarily think that, after all when meeting strangers off of the internet there is bound to be 1 / 2 people you don't care for or just don't get along with. Don't worry though I tolerate like you :pac:

so wheres my xmas card b*itch:P:pac:

Advertisement