Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History special topic.

• 09-01-2011 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Ok i've read all the other threads and to be honest none of them helped at all. It needs to be in for april, which seems like a lot of time but i'm incredibly lazy! If anyone has any suggestions for a easy and intresting special topic it would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I did the Attack on Mers-el-Kébir. Basically the Brits blow up the French navy to stop it from falling into Hitlers hands.

Although I think this thread will be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

JFK Assassination .

the A to Z to , coup d'état , conspiracy ,cough cover up , it's all there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Niall558 wrote: »
    but i'm incredibly lazy!

Not lazy enough to prevent you posting a thread here instead of doing some research into a possible topic.

Your ST can be on pretty much anything within the course boundaries, so you should be able to find something you like (sports history, family, local, etc.) to encourage you to do some work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Niall558

convert wrote: »
    Not lazy enough to prevent you posting a thread here instead of doing some research into a possible topic.

Your ST can be on pretty much anything within the course boundaries, so you should be able to find something you like (sports history, family, local, etc.) to encourage you to do some work....

Problem is I don't know what i'm interested in history wise. I do like world war 2 but I can't do anything that is on the course. I would like to do something on how music influenced the world but obviously a bit more specific. Any suggestions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

My Irish is terrible and don't really wanna risk getting caught :/
    What was it on?

soloheadbeg ambush. its a good one. it coincided with the first dail so you've alot to talk about. how many words does it have to be?

• Advertisement

paky wrote: »
    soloheadbeg ambush. its a good one. it coincided with the first dail so you've alot to talk about. how many words does it have to be?

I can't remember the exact number but i think it's 3000 words! :eek:

3000, are you haven a laugh? you said you were doing the leaving cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I ended up with near 10,000, editing it down is the bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

I did a topic on Himmler, - a paragraph on his early life, a paragraph on his rise in the Nazi party, and the rest on his betrayal of Hitler. Got me an A1.

PrinceMax wrote: »
    I did a topic on Himmler, - a paragraph on his early life, a paragraph on his rise in the Nazi party, and the rest on his betrayal of Hitler. Got me an A1.

What was your approach/ title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I ended up with near 10,000, editing it down is the bitch.

So true.

http://www.scoilnet.ie/hist/article_topic.aspx?id=5741&nav=false

Anyway, RSR extended essay length needs to be 1200-1500 words for higher level. You should have no problem writing at least that much on most topics.

What was your approach/ title?

It was 2003 when I did it, so I can't remember too well. The bulk of it was examining his attempts to negotiate peace behind Hitler's back, his attempts to escape at the end of the war, and his capture and subsequent suicide. The title was something to do with betrayal.
    Maybe the leaving cert has change a lot since 2003, and perhaps the topic would no longer be suitable. Think I mainly used a book called 'Himmler. Reichsfuehrer SS'

So true.

http://www.scoilnet.ie/hist/article_topic.aspx?id=5741&nav=false

Anyway, RSR extended essay length needs to be 1200-1500 words for higher level. You should have no problem writing at least that much on most topics.

That actually helped a lot :D Atleast half of my worries are gone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I did the Attack on Mers-el-Kébir. Basically the Brits blow up the French navy to stop it from falling into Hitlers hands.

Although I think this thread will be closed.

Now that's scary, so did I! It would have to be the person who I've noticed around boards as the person with the most opposite views to myself who did the same RSR :) You're probably one of the only people from the various fora on here that I lurk whose name I actually remember, mad stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Since you're from Leixlip I'll tell you what I done mine on.

It was on how the Duke of Leinster lost Carton House. He effectively lost it in a bet around the time of the Civil War. Its actually really interesting and I got a couple of solid sources from newspapers at the time

op do it on something local where theres plenty of sources. something during the civil war or war of independence. they just want to see if youve the ability to research and use sources. what about the ballyseedy massacre or the assault on the four courts? who gives a t.oss once youve something down on paper

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Since you're from Leixlip I'll tell you what I done mine on.

It was on how the Duke of Leinster lost Carton House. He effectively lost it in a bet around the time of the Civil War. Its actually really interesting and I got a couple of solid sources from newspapers at the time

Any chance you still have those sources? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Problem is I don't know what i'm interested in history wise. I do like world war 2 but I can't do anything that is on the course. I would like to do something on how music influenced the world but obviously a bit more specific. Any suggestions?

Yes you can. Considering the course covers European history, Irish history, Northern Irish history and American history what would you write about if you couldn't mention anything from those eras? There must be some area of the course that interests you, find a specific event that isn't widely known that occurred during that time and write about that.

1500 words max. Write about 1800 words minimum it's easy to do that, editing it down is the hardest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

If you don't think of anything even this month, don't worry. Literally half of my class last year did there project 5-6 days before the deadline. I wrote mine on Horatio Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar, and personally, wrote it 2 days before the deadline. So don't worry about time, you have all the time in the world

That actually helped a lot :D Atleast half of my worries are gone :P

Haha, no problem :). Doing the project itself is actually grand, just pick a title/subject, get your sources and get it done. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can do it :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

I'm doing mine on Albert Speer, Hitler's architect. It's fairly handy because he actually wrote an autobiography, and couple that with a source on the Nuremburg trials and a Nazi documentary, which are everywhere, and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Any chance you still have those sources? ;)

If I can find them I'll pass them on. If you're in CC (that doesn't help, both schools have those initials) school in the far-end watch out, my teacher is still there and there's a chance you could get the same examiner as me. I done mine two years ago. Anyway I'll see what I can do

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

I dunno if this is allowed, but heres my project. Its not how i handed it in, but a rough idea:

<snip> Let's not encourage cheating any more than we already have.<snip>

I'm interested to know, is the lc history exam broadly similar to what it was in 2003? When I did it, there was five sections - A,B,C,D & E (if I remember correctly.

Each of the first four had either four or five questions in them, and you picked one from each. Then E was write your special topic or on something that was listed on the paper. I'm sort of getting the impression here that the special topic is now something you submit before hand?

PrinceMax wrote: »
    I'm interested to know, is the lc history exam broadly similar to what it was in 2003? When I did it, there was five sections - A,B,C,D & E (if I remember correctly.

Each of the first four had either four or five questions in them, and you picked one from each. Then E was write your special topic or on something that was listed on the paper. I'm sort of getting the impression here that the special topic is now something you submit before hand?

Yeah, the system changed in 2006 I think.

Now it's a Special Topic or "RSR" that you submit beforehand in April.

In the exam itself you have to do 3 essays on different topics and one documents based question based on a compulsory topic. Within each topic you have a choice of 4 questions. There are 6 Ireland sections and 6 Europe sections. You answer one essay from a choice of the four questions on each topic. This year you pick one Irish topic and two European topics, as the compulsory topic for the documents question is an Irish one.

Compolsory topic for the documents question this year is:
    Politics and society in Northern Ireland, 1949-1993

Whilst the topics I'm studying in school for the essays are:
    The pursuit of sovereignty and the impact of partition, 1912-1949 from the Ireland section.
    And
    Dictatorship and democracy in Europe, 1920-1945
    The United States and the world, 1945-1989 from the Europe + Wider World section.

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    If I can find them I'll pass them on. If you're in CC (that doesn't help, both schools have those initials) school in the far-end watch out, my teacher is still there and there's a chance you could get the same examiner as me. I done mine two years ago. Anyway I'll see what I can do

Imnot in the farend CC im in the other one. Haha i don't want your actual project just the sources itself if you can :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Do it on something in your locality. Don't go for anything too general, the examiner always appreciates something more unique than say the holocaust etc.

Advertisement