Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS Personal Statement

• 09-01-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

So basically I'm repeating because I did nothing, and now I've left it ridiculously late to be asking this question, as the deadline for UCAS is 15th of January.

My question is, if anyone knows, can I use the personal statement I used last year in this new application or do I have to write an entirely new one?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm not sure the stance that UCAS takes on this exactly, but I would imagine you would have to write a whole new one. Using the same one as last year would probably cause this year's to show up as plagarised, although somewhat ironically as you are plagarising yourself. You could try ringing UCAS, or asking your career guidance teacher (if they are any use), if you want to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I wouldn't personally.

Use the old one as a basis to rewrite a new one. Treat last year's statement as a draft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Dannnnn wrote: »
    So basically I'm repeating because I did nothing, and now I've left it ridiculously late to be asking this question, as the deadline for UCAS is 15th of January.

My question is, if anyone knows, can I use the personal statement I used last year in this new application or do I have to write an entirely new one?

use the old one if your stuck for time. just make sure you change dates and stuff and dont get caught out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Have a look on here it might help: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=619716

While we're talking bout personal statements, does anybody have any tips &/or a layout format for the personal statement,I have a draft done I just want to finalize it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 egennery

Like a good essay, have a summary opening, the middle section containing all the reasons this is the right course for you, and an emphatic closing summary.

Make a mental list of all the personal attributes and technical knowledge/aptitudes that might be required for the particular course and then demonstrate in your essay how you meet those requirements e.g. a Social Science degree - you might need to show a tolerance for people of all backgrounds, some exposure to working with or helping those less well off, an ability to both listen and express yourself with good grades in English, etc.

Use both your heart (feelings and passion for the subject/course) and your head (good logical research and understanding of the course/career) to assure the readers that you are indeed the right person for this course of study.

Good luck
    Elaine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Out of interest how long are everyone else's personal statements? Mine was a round 4000 characters, I had 4001 so I knocked off the last full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Out of interest how long are everyone else's personal statements? Mine was a round 4000 characters, I had 4001 so I knocked off the last full stop.
    Mine was similiar,3900 0r 3989 something along that lenght :)

Advertisement